Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:53 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
you obviously havent been to both cities, they are pretty evenly matched.
Actually i have been to both, New Orleans 4 times and Providence twice... I will say that Providence punches above its weight but its not New Orleans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Actually i have been to both, New Orleans 4 times and Providence twice... I will say that Providence punches above its weight but its not New Orleans!
Providences MSA has 440,000 more people so if it punches above its weight its better then NOLA

Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Providences MSA has 440,000 more people so if it punches above its weight its better then NOLA
Dude you are stretching it...Especially since you are using post-Katrina numbers lol!

You are really tryin too hard!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Dude you are stretching it...Especially since you are using post-Katrina numbers lol!

You are really tryin too hard!
well today is Post Katrina so isnt it appropriate to use post katrina numbers?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
well today is Post Katrina so isnt it appropriate to use post katrina numbers?
Ok sure.... Just remember to include all the pre-katrina amenities(nfl,nba,large downtown,mardi-Gras, exclusive cuisine,etc...) that New Orleans still has post-katrina.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Ok sure.... Just remember to include all the pre-katrina amenities(nfl,nba,large downtown,mardi-Gras, exclusive cuisine,etc...) that New Orleans still has post-katrina.
wasnt this past Mardi Gras the largest ever in New Orleans.
Well Regardless Providences MSA boarders are abirtary anyway because people from the Worcester and to some extent the Boston MSA's for some forms of nightlife that are not as prevelant in boston (strip clubs, Lounges)
so on that basis i belive that the general area of Downcity Providence has equal Nightlife to Downtown New Orleans
But The french Quater with Bourbon street trumps Thayer Street and College hill.
However how the French Quarter is French, Federal hill is Italian they are Comparable exclaves

Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 PM

93,151 posts, read 123,754,884 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned the unique Cape Verdean culture in Providence and it is a city with a strong Portuguese diaspora influence. There are Liberians and Haitians in Providence too. Can't for get the diverse Hispanic community too.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Providence is nice, but New Orleans packs a lot more punch. Ask your average person overseas on the notoriety of New Orleans vs. Providence and I think the answer is pretty clear. People fly into New Orleans for vacation from everywhere. Providence is more of a stop along with Boston, Cape Cod, Newport etc...and many of the tourists are locals from other parts of the Northeast.

Providence has great restaurants, but honestly Boston's North End still has it over Federal Hill for Italian. New Orleans has its own brand of culinary delights. Even chef Emeril Lagasi from up the road in Fall River launched his culinary path in New Orleans. And it goes without saying New Orleans nightlife trumps Providence many time over.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-24-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,398 times
When I saw this thread I thought you got to be kidding me. I've actually been to both cities countless times. No comparison. New Orleans is one the most unique historic major coastal cities you'll find anywhere in the world. New Orleans is far more known around the world for it's unique food, architecture, street cars and festivals...not Providence,RI. New Haven,CT would probably be a better comparison to it's neighbor to the north. New Orleans just can't be duplicated. There's simply no city in country like it. Where you gonna find an American city architecture with a lot of classic wrought iron railed patios lining many streets not many. May be Mobile but that's it. New Orleans culture is far more unique and deep rooted than Providence. It has the nation's oldest street car system, oldest city market (yes, even older than Boston's Quincy), home of JAZZ (Providence world famous music??), French Quarter with many streets packed with way more people, music, foods, beer (streets shut down to auto traffic) 7 nights a week while Providence turns out the lights on I-295...I could go on. Providence to me could pass for a south suburb of Boston. Most people in the country don't see it sticking out compared to New Orleans. When it comes to the northeast many people around the country would think of NYC, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC. It's like trying to say Wilmington, DE could be on the same level as New Orleans. The world goes to New Orleans like people go to Amsterdam as the main destination.

As for post Katrina population, New Orleans was the nation fastest growing city.
Not bad for regaining about 100k back....why? because it's citizens know you can't find that kind of unique culture anywhere in the country. The food, architecture , unique wards along with the city's 9 distinctive dialect accents evolving after many generations. While some cities are searching for an identity to reinvent....NO doesn't have too because it's New Orleans.

source: Newsroom: Population: New Orleans was Nation's Fastest-Growing City in 2008

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-24-2011 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM

source: Newsroom: Population: New Orleans was Nation's Fastest-Growing City in 2008
thats only cause the city was evacuated in 05 and anyone who didnt leave died, so thats not really fair.
Also NO has Creole and Cajan, Providence has cape Verdean and Portugese where you cant really get anywhere else.
Also NO is more known because up until 1980 ish it was the Premere city in the South east, Prov. was always overshadowed by Boston and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City