Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
1.) NYC times square, Manhattan
2.) Vegas Vegas strip; most activity I've seen in one block.
3.) Chi during the day there is a lot of movement, but at night its quiet
4.) LA Tons of traffic and a lot of events in the daytime.
5.) San Fran Lots activity in a small area.

from here it's a lot more murky

6.) Miami Miami beach absolute mayham during certain times
7.) honolulu Its really packed with a lot of activity

typical city pace
8.) Atlanta Heavy car traffic and really crowded in the day
9.) DC heavy car traffic
10.) Philly? havent been to Philly, but passed through it
Of course, the one person who thinks Atlanta is faster paced then Philly & DC is an Atlantien.....

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-20-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Of course, the one person who think Atlanta is faster paced then Philly & DC is an Atlantien..... siempre
Yeah that, or this person needs to get out more.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:39 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Atlanta/Boston/Chicago/Dallas/Houston/Miami/Philadelphia/San Francisco/Washington

New York and Los Angeles to me are the only cities that stand out as being fast paced. There are so many people and so much congestion in these two cities that moving at a fast pace is absolutely necessary.

The other cities are all big and certainly feel fast paced at times but their paces are not a very noticeable and necessary feature of city life. Also, there isn't much of a noticeable difference in pace between these cities in my experience.

Last edited by jayp1188; 07-21-2011 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
No city in the south is fast-paced except Miami.. just keepin it real.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
No city in the south is fast-paced except Miami.. just keepin it real.
Miami is no faster than Atlanta, Houston, DFW

Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Miami is no faster than Atlanta, Houston, DFW
To me it seemed Miami moved a little bit faster than the other citiies. However in general i will agree that they all have a similar pace of life which is slow compared to the northeast cities.

FYI: i hate the term slow- paced. I much prefer relaxed pace.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Of course, the one person who thinks Atlanta is faster paced then Philly & DC is an Atlantien.....
And? Your infatuation with people from other places being credible - but locals not being so, continues to confound me.

It's pretty obvious you fall in the camp of folks who feel the need to continually put Atlanta "in its place" for some reason.

Oh, and it's Atlantan.

Last edited by johnatl; 07-21-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 09:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
To me it seemed Miami moved a little bit faster than the other citiies. However in general i will agree that they all have a similar pace of life which is slow compared to the northeast cities.

FYI: i hate the term slow- paced. I much prefer relaxed pace.
well the question is asking to list which you perceive as the top ten fastest paced, not which are like NE cities.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As a person living in Chicago and a person that lived in DC the past five years. I can assure that Chicago is not a faster pace city than DC. DC is more hectic, less friendly, and more walkaholic than Chicago from my observation. DC people are not the type of people that just calmly strolls on the sidewalk. More like a get the hell out of my way attitude or I don't have time to say high to you right now, I have to get to where I need to go.

I think DC is easily in the top 5.

I'll say
1. NY
2. Boston
3. LA
4. Philly
5. DC
6. SF
7. Chicago

after this, it gets really take your pick and there is a huge gap?
8. Houston
9. Atlanta
10. New Orleans

I don't find Miami at all fast pace. I think the amount of retirees and the people that want to relax there on vacation in the place kind of balances it out.
If the bolded statement means "fast-paced" to you, then there is no way Los Angeles comes before any city on the East Coast.

Downtown Los Angeles is kinda lame. You will see much more activity in DT DC, Boston or Philadelphia during an average work week. And the residential areas are faster-paced. West Philly is kids jumping on/off trolleys and buses, vendors selling mixtapes underneath the Market Street El, etc. There's more pace and movement even in the far flung residential areas of Philly than there is in LA, imo.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As a person living in Chicago and a person that lived in DC the past five years. I can assure that Chicago is not a faster pace city than DC. DC is more hectic, less friendly, and more walkaholic than Chicago from my observation. DC people are not the type of people that just calmly strolls on the sidewalk. More like a get the hell out of my way attitude or I don't have time to say high to you right now, I have to get to where I need to go.

I think DC is easily in the top 5.

I'll say
1. NY
2. Boston
3. LA
4. Philly
5. DC
6. SF
7. Chicago

after this, it gets really take your pick and there is a huge gap?
8. Houston
9. Atlanta
10. New Orleans

I don't find Miami at all fast pace. I think the amount of retirees and the people that want to relax there on vacation in the place kind of balances it out.
As a person that lived in Miami, it is fast paced. Not on the Northeast level, but I would squeeze it under number 7 before your huge gap (no pun intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City