U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 PM

5,362 posts, read 3,757,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
SF has a nice skyline but its not like it is so enormous that it puts in the elite group. Its not like its 1.NYC 2.Chic 3. SF then everyone else. The third slot is kind of subjective in regards to US skylines.

As far as downtown vibrancy is concerned and SF being much superior to Philly? I will put that off as never actually have been in Philadelphia talk. Looking at Philadelphia through stereotypical squinted eyes.

Yes SF has better shopping and has a slightly larger business presence downtown(15% larger) but that is offset somewhat by Philadelphias downtown population(92,000) and its universities/college population. There are 100,000 college students within a mile or 2 of Center City Philly.

This is just my opinion but Philadlephia has an older,smaller, historical, architecturally impressive grid which in itself lends itself to added vibrance.

IMO the skyline is subjective and the vibrancy issue may be too close to call. Certainly not the landslide you portray it to be.
I dont disagree about the skyline, but I also didnt say it was a clear #3. Only compared it to Philly.
Vibrancy I see SF as #2, but 3-5 are close.
Phillys great in different ways,as everyone keeps saying we're splitting hairs.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,007,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
That's an interesting point...except for the fact that it is currently 2011, so why would we compare cities based on how they were decades ago (unless that's the point of the thread)? I don't see how it's unfair...it simply is what it is. Cities are not people. Plus, it's not like SF wrecks Philly in a comparison in the first place. In some fields maybe, but Philly wins in others as well.
The original few posters on this thread brought up the fact of the vacant lots in the city. It affects the vibrancy of the city, but doesn't mean the city has a less urban fabric, but rather that the city is in poor shape but recovering.

My point is that, to pick on Philly's rotten areas doesn't mean that the city is not urban. It means that it is undergoing rehabilitation. San Francisco, on the other hand, is in tip top shape compared to a beat up city like Philly.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM

869 posts, read 665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Something interesting I recently read up on:

People in Philadelphia, Washington DC & the Bay Area speaking varying forms of the exact same dialect of North American English. LOL.

In fact, the Bay Area is an anomoly in the entire west because its the only place in the surrounding 15 states where Midland North American English is spoken.

Defined by this source: American English Dialects,

Midland North American English is described as " intermediate between Northern and Southern".

That is so fascinating imo. Personally if I had to guess the reason it would be the strong early presence of Northerners in SF during the gold rush and then the huge influx of Blacks around WW2 and the fact they spread out over a wide area of the East Bay which influenced the way others in those areas speak English as well.

Hence why this dialect is primarily found in the Northern East Bay and Northern SF Peninsula and oddly, the city of Mountain View in Santa Clara County. The other parts of the bay, no--at least according to the map.
Philly and San Francisco dialects are totally different. Philly's has a northeastern accent that sounds similar to the other parts of the northeast such as New Jersey, NYC and Boston (but each of the four have distinctive differences) and the San francisco so called "accent" sounds like a proper neutral/general american accent that you would find similar to the ideal news anchorman or reporter, and the rest of the west coast.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM

25,102 posts, read 32,573,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly and San Francisco dialects are totally different. Philly's has a northeastern accent that sounds similar to the other parts of the northeast such as New Jersey, NYC and Boston (but each of the four have distinctive differences) and the San francisco so called "accent" sounds like a proper neutral/general american accent that you would find similar to the ideal news anchorman or reporter, and the rest of the west coast.
I tend to agree with you but I found the findings in that study to be very interesting.

Also, Dialects and Accents are not the same thing.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,344,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I tend to agree with you but I found the findings in that study to be very interesting.

Also, Dialects and Accents are not the same thing.

Agree and is why the accents of NYC/NJ/Philly can have similarity (though people from the area can clearly tell the difference) but I have also read that although these areas can have similar accents the dialect styling is very different whereas Baltimore has less of a similar accent and a more similar dialect). Why it always bugs me personally when in mob movies they use the NYC Italian accent for the Philly mobsters. Also Rocky used a NY dialect mostly with words from Philly. Interesting and wonder if this has anything to do with the migration you referenced earlier, i have read that there were a fair number of Italians and Germans (I believe but cant remember the second group) that migrated to SF from the Philly area when the population first boomed. I know SF has a decent Italian precence; especially early on in development (moreso than any other West Coast city). Hell even BOA was originally a Italian immigrant bank I believe in SF.

Regardless I did find your link very interesting personally.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,907,389 times
People can Argue anything for example people Argue that Chicago has a better skyline than NYC, however there is no basis of that on fact.
Now on this matter, the cities (along with boston) are on the same level of urbaness, so it just depends how the person, maybe narrower streets in Philly make it seem busier, or San Franciscos hills slow down cars making it conjested, making it seem like more people are in a certain area.
Also it depends when someone visits a city, because Philly has a large college population near downtown, in the summer it may be less vibrant than san fran, but when the college students come back its vice-versa

Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree and is why the accents of NYC/NJ/Philly can have similarity (though people from the area can clearly tell the difference) but I have also read that although these areas can have similar accents the dialect styling is very different whereas Baltimore has less of a similar accent and a more similar dialect). Why it always bugs me personally when in mob movies they use the NYC Italian accent for the Philly mobsters. Also Rocky used a NY dialect mostly with words from Philly. Interesting and wonder if this has anything to do with the migration you referenced earlier, i have read that there were a fair number of Italians and Germans (I believe but cant remember the second group) that migrated to SF from the Philly area when the population first boomed. I know SF has a decent Italian precence; especially early on in development (moreso than any other West Coast city). Hell even BOA was originally a Italian immigrant bank I believe in SF.

Regardless I did find your link very interesting personally.

‪PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect‬‏ - YouTube

‪How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Long I Practice‬‏ - YouTube

‪Regional Dialect Video Meme‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People can Argue anything for example people Argue that Chicago has a better skyline than NYC, however there is no basis of that on fact.
Now on this matter, the cities (along with boston) are on the same level of urbaness, so it just depends how the person, maybe narrower streets in Philly make it seem busier, or San Franciscos hills slow down cars making it conjested, making it seem like more people are in a certain area.
Also it depends when someone visits a city, because Philly has a large college population near downtown, in the summer it may be less vibrant than san fran, but when the college students come back its vice-versa

Actually on this I agree Boston/Philly/SF are about equal on this (Really to me either urbanity or vibrancy)

And Philly is dead in the summer relatively speaking not only the college students but as much as a third of the city is down the Jersey Shore on the weekends

Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,525,658 times
does it really matter which city is more dense? I go to a city for what it has to offer, both cities offer a lot for people, but of course i still think philly is better. For me it is anyway.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM

294 posts, read 375,764 times
The Bay Area has some of the most original dialect out there. I can always spot someone from the bay anywhere in the country.

‪Rafael Casal - Bay Area Slang Top 100 (The Grinch song) @rafaelcasal‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City