Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

^^ Nope, doesn't count. There are blighted areas in Philadelphia so it doesn't count.

*joking*

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
>sf
>urban

pick one

if someone cant understand how phily is more urban than sf, then theyve never been to phily

Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
SF has a much more stable middle class base than Philly. The last real middle class area of Philly, the Northeast, has become a pit. Philly's core area, Center City and parts of South Philly, are repopulating, but the rest of the city is slowly receding.
It's the other way around. The middle class in SF is way less stable. Middle class people can't even afford to own in most of the desirable parts of the bay and a good amount have been priced out of renting in SF. That is one of the reasons Oakland has been making a come back, yuppies priced out of SF.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
What a pathetic excuse for a thread. This will just be pt 2 of the west coast vs east coast thread. SF get over it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
It's the other way around. The middle class in SF is way less stable. Middle class people can't even afford to own in most of the desirable parts of the bay and a good amount have been priced out of renting in SF. That is one of the reasons Oakland has been making a come back, yuppies priced out of SF.
These are my thoughts exactly. A solid middle class is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of San Francisco. Maybe when the housing inflation allowed for people to overspend their budget but not anymore.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
^^ Nope, doesn't count. There are blighted areas in Philadelphia so it doesn't count.

*joking*

The point was not that there are blighted areas in Philly (as there are many of those in SF), the point was that you'll never see urban prairie in SF to the tune that you do in Philly. Since when can blighted areas not be urban?

SF has its own fair share of blight...

sunnydale ave san francisco - Google Maps

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The point was not that there are blighted areas in Philly (as there are many of those in SF), the point was that you'll never see urban prairie in SF to the tune that you do in Philly. Since when can blighted areas not be urban?

SF has its own fair share of blight...

sunnydale ave san francisco - Google Maps

I think they are mostly reserved for Oakland. I will agree Philly has more abandoned structures and neighborhoods in bad shape.

There is a map of abandandoned places in Philly I will track it down and post for perspective. But seriously the majority is isolated to a few neighborhoods. I really think these cherry picked images or a tour of Strawberry Mansion or even the abandoned industrial brownfields do not really portray the urbanity (or lack there of) in Philly

The further from the core in SF relative to Philly is where Philly will feel more urban in comparison and in the core they are very similar

Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think they are mostly reserved for Oakland. I will agree Philly has more abandoned structures and neighborhoods in bad shape.

There is a map of abandandoned places in Philly I will track it down and post for perspective. But seriously the majority is isolated to a few neighborhoods. I really think these cherry picked images or a tour of Strawberry Mansion or even the abandoned industrial brownfields do not really portray the urbanity (or lack there of) in Philly

The further from the core in SF relative to Philly is where Philly will feel more urban in comparison and in the core they are very similar

Uh... not really. There's very, very little in Oakland that's abandoned, and definitely not whole entire neighborhoods or blocks. Philly the other hand has streets where there's more abandoned homes than not, but that's not the "norm" for Philly either.

I'll never get people who believe there's no such thing as blight in SF... the projects in SF for example are in FAR worse condition across the board than the projects in Oakland.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
So it would seem like Philly has far more potential upside for development than SF does given the fact that SF is basically "built out".

Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Uh... not really. There's very, very little in Oakland that's abandoned, and definitely not whole entire neighborhoods or blocks. Philly the other hand has streets where there's more abandoned homes than not, but that's not the "norm" for Philly either.

I'll never get people who believe there's no such thing as blight in SF... the projects in SF for example are in FAR worse condition across the board than the projects in Oakland.
Not by any means

Vacancy victories are rare, but city says reform is coming | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future

To Dynomos point yes. There is a plan to redevop the waterfront into neighborhoods that are mostly now abandoned port facilities/warehouses and could add another 50-100K alone along the waterfront from No Libs to Pennsport

Philadelphia2035

‪Philadelphia2035: The future begins now.‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City