U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM

745 posts, read 511,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Just fyi, to the best of my knowledge the OP is NOT from SF. I believe he lived here at one point and digs it, but is not from here, unless I'm mistaken.

LIKE USUAL, another SF-related thread has been created under a provocative premise by someone who is not even from here, and everyone in/from SF will have to hear about how we need to get over ourselves. Its kinda whack how often this keeps happening.

Even if I am mistaken and he actually is from here, he does not represent ALL of us. I didn't think this thread was necessary to even be created at this point in time, and I am not a fan of unfair comparisons like the examples he used.
I absolutely agree. I know the entire city of SF is not scratching their heads as to why people consider Philly more urban or not. So I most certainly would like to take the "SF get over it" comment back. Because the idiots on here do not represent the entire city.

Which by the way I think SF is beautiful and would love to visit some day. I'm not going to go out of my way to bash some place I've never been.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 PM

5,326 posts, read 3,528,021 times

Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM

68 posts, read 61,522 times
I think one could go with either city.

And, whatever your choice, I don't think it's reasonable to say there's a big difference between the cities in terms of density. They're pretty close.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM

385 posts, read 417,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Hard to compare the two cities. Its like comparing apples and oranges really. San Francisco for one is whiter, richer, and has breath taking natural surroundings. San Francisco caters to a totally different demographic and therefore has different results.
San Francisco is a lot dirtier and grittier than people think. Not that that's a bad thing - the city has a TON of extra character for that reason. But it's not the pristine city many imagine it to be. Seattle and Portland, for example, are much, much cleaner (although more sterile as well)

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 PM

294 posts, read 360,501 times
Sorry for the obnoxious original post, all. I had a bit to drink last night and saw a thread where a bunch of Philly posters were talking about how not urban SF was...so I decided to respond to them by being a devil's advocate/jerk. My bad. At least, as Jman pointed, it has lead to a good discussion. I honestly didn't cherry pick the streetview photos, I just happened to land on them - but I completely agree they are in no way representative of what Philly is AT ALL and the way I framed the two cities against each other was completely unfair.

Anyway, while I do think Philly has a lot more "dead zones" than SF and and is a notch less urban outside of downtown (to me, at least), it is still an incredibly urban, vibrant city overall and does cover a lot more area. Both are up there, IMO, as two of the top 4 or 5 most urban cities in the country.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,065,725 times
only cali people think that sf is ny

please stop

la is more nyc

and that's still 2nd rate

Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,065,725 times
sf reminds me of a built up philly

golden gate park is not central park

not even close

its more like a glorifeid fairmount park

Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM

8,080 posts, read 6,052,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
sf reminds me of a built up philly

golden gate park is not central park

not even close

its more like a glorifeid fairmount park
FTR, it's actually bigger than Central Park... 1,017 acres vs. 843 acres.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 275,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
FTR, it's actually bigger than Central Park... 1,017 acres vs. 843 acres.
I'm sure john_starks was speaking in terms of the quality for both parks and not the quantity (size).

Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 AM

385 posts, read 417,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I'm sure john_starks was speaking in terms of the quality for both parks and not the quantity (size).
That's a ridiculous statement. Golden Gate Park is a beautiful, world-class urban park with tons of amenities. It is different than Central Park, but definitely in the same league. Fairmount Park is great for what it is, but it does not compare to either GG or Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City