U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 AM

6,913 posts, read 6,568,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I have answered this not once tonight, but TWICE. I will repeat myself again from my previous posts.

1. Philadelphia has roughly 200,000 MORE people than SF within the same amount of space.

2. Philadelphia has a far superior transit system. PATCO is 24 hours while BART closes. Also, Philadelphia transit has better coverage, more stations and more lines.

So what of Philly's street activity, access to amenities, etc? How easily can one be isolated in Philly from urban amenities vs. in SF?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Again come and ACTUALLY experience the city, at this point your points have little relevance as they are based on speculation and not experience.

As someone who is in your exalted position of having spent considerable time in both then it shouldn't be difficult to explain why Philly is as or more vibrant than San Francisco instead of deferring to "see for yourself".

Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 AM

19,034 posts, read 15,782,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How "urban" can a city be with far better shopping at a suburban mall than in its 'effing Downtown?

And the list below is not even complete...

Downtown SF has more stores than King of Prussia Mall as well. btw.

Agree shopping could be better in Philly though there is very good shopping in Philly. Honestly though I hate just about everyone of these brands you listed but more hate the KOP mall. For real shopping I actually take the 70 minute train ride to NY, well for special occassions anyway

BTW - i didnt read the whole list but we do have a AAA Automotive store in Philly, though i am not sure that distinguishes anything though on urbanity. Also the majority of the stores on your list are actually in Philly's DT (even a target coming to Market east)

Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 AM

19,034 posts, read 15,782,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
As someone who is in your exalted position of having spent considerable time in both then it shouldn't be difficult to explain why Philly is as or more vibrant than San Francisco instead of deferring to "see for yourself".

Easy the energy on the streets, culture, arts, restaurants, nightlife, people of different backgrounds etc. Something you have to feel in person to me, but you may feel otherwise.

SF has more of an asian flair, Philly seems to have more of European flair. Philly also has a much larger College precense in the city itself with 5 major universities an many others within the city itself, some right in the core.

And quite honestly to me your arguments have made a decided turn out the skinny branches from my perspective.

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-14-2011 at 01:21 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 01:15 AM

11,180 posts, read 9,608,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I am making a comparison between PATCO being a 24 hour system and BART closing around midnight. Transit makes a difference in terms of urbanity.

I was not done editing my post. I sent my post at 2:44 and you sent your response to me at 2:48. Look at the bottom left of my post and you can see there is not an edit time, which means I edited my post quickly after it being sent. I was probably editing my post as you were typing up your response to me.

I am from Philadelphia metro and don't care for the condescending tone.
PATCO is a single line with very limited coverage in Philadelphia proper. I have no idea why you feel like it's useful to throw that out despite its limited utility as some great signifier of better transit in Philly when its functionality would not be any greater than just having night owl buses (which would have more stops and greater coverage--and which Philly in fact does have and is more useful for getting around if you ever needed 24 hour coverage). Also, why are we citing BART for SF when the majority of people actually in SF rely on the (overly) extensive MUNI? BART basically operates as SF's commuter rail system.

I'm sorry for the condescending tone--it just seemed you like you were throwing things out that didn't make much sense. I see you edited stuff, but I still don't see the greatness of Philly because of PATCO.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 321 times
I have lived in both cities for extended periods of time.

San Francisco is more urban. There is no way around that. You cannot get away from the fact that San Francisco is a CITY no matter where you are. Philly has sections where you may believe you are in Oakland or Daly City.

San Francisco is crowded, urban, and dense - everywhere. It is a real city, period.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:14 AM

4,028 posts, read 4,154,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemander973 View Post
I have lived in both cities for extended periods of time.

San Francisco is more urban. There is no way around that. You cannot get away from the fact that San Francisco is a CITY no matter where you are. Philly has sections where you may believe you are in Oakland or Daly City.

San Francisco is crowded, urban, and dense - everywhere. It is a real city, period.
Philadelphia is a real city. I do not know what you are talking about.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM

24,925 posts, read 31,755,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Easy the energy on the streets, culture, arts, restaurants, nightlife, people of different backgrounds etc. Something you have to feel in person to me, but you may feel otherwise.
Yes, I have experienced this in Philadelphia and its great, but I wouldnt place the level of vibrancy there above San Francisco-not overall.

But that's me. I respect your opinion.

Quote:
SF has more of an asian flair, Philly seems to have more of European flair.
Philadelphia has a british colonial flair in parts of its urban core-this is evidenced by its architecture and narrow streets but that's not really more or less European than the decidedly Mediterrenean flair that San Francisco definitely exudes from its temperate climate to its sweeping water vistas and even some of the architecture beckons to Europe.

Quote:
Philly also has a much larger College precense in the city itself with 5 major universities an many others within the city itself, some right in the core.
I will concede the influence of college students, Philadelphia has more in its downtown.

But I think that's offset by the fact that DT SF draws in more folks who come to shop and spend the day in the City than DT Philadelphia does. At least that's my perception.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM

24,925 posts, read 31,755,507 times
I just noticed that I have the 666th and 777th posts in this thread. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? LOL.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I just noticed that I have the 666th and 777th posts in this thread. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? LOL.

Or a new bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.