Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I have never, ever heard of this. Most in the planning discipline hear Atlanta and immediately go into facepalm mode.
Well then they would be completely and totally ignorant for doing so. We have been doing infill here on a level you have probably never seen.

There's your facepalm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I said before I was joking....
It was a stupid joke, and people who have never been here have been repeating the nonsense like it is fact. If posters don't correct posters like you other people will see it and think it is true based on how often they see it.

Houston has wonderful architecture, they are just not concentrated. And like everywhere else, it has ugly buildings too

Houston Architecture - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nakrnsm/sets/72157621225577927/detail/?page=9 - broken link)

Buildings in Houston, Texas

Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I too am beyond happy. I would rather live and feel most comfortable living in Texas, NC, Georgia and Florida than anywhere north of Maryland.
I've already lived in 3 of the states you mentioned.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
What's wrong with the architecture?

If you find suburban sprawl ugly, then you might consider Atlanta unappealing, but the only people I know who think this way are those urban elitists.
I guess I'm an urban elitist then. I think basically anyone who takes interest in architecture or urban planning will tell you that Atlanta is basically what not to do. This isn't intended to be a slam on the city, because I know there is a great deal of effort to fill-in the gaps...and it's not even to say it's a bad city because I do like Atlanta, and I've had some great times there. However, I think even the most fervent Atlanta supporters would agree that it has a lot of work to do in a sense of urban planning. It's making progress, but the early-mid 90s took quite a toll.

Quote:
I'm sure most people who have been there would call Atlanta an attractive city.
Highway enthusiasts would certainly agree with you.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:07 PM

they are the best states in the country

Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
nope. It is the trees that impress me in ATL. I think it makes the city beautiful.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 PM

717 posts, read 898,452 times
Quote:
I guess I'm an urban elitist then. I think basically anyone who takes interest in architecture or urban planning will tell you that Atlanta is basically what not to do. This isn't intended to be a slam on the city, because I know there is a great deal of effort to fill-in the gaps...and it's not even to say it's a bad city because I do like Atlanta, and I've had some great times there. However, I think even the most fervent Atlanta supporters would agree that it has a lot of work to do in a sense of urban planning. It's making progress, but the early-mid 90s took quite a toll.

You are being a little bit of an elitist now. Saying that Atlanta needs to densify is one thing, but that's not the same thing as saying that it's an unattractive city. Density is not synonymous with beauty, and you suggesting that most people think so isn't helping the credibility of your argument..

"Highway enthusiasts"? Yeah, right.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
You are being a little bit of an elitist now. Saying that Atlanta needs to densify is one thing, but that's not the same thing as saying that it's an unattractive city. Density is not synonymous with beauty, and you suggesting that most people think so isn't helping the credibility of your argument..

"Highway enthusiasts"? Yeah, right.
I think high density in certain areas are an appalling scar on the Earth's surface.

The Bay Area is prime example. That area looks to have been gorgeous before it was all covered in concrete

Old 07-24-2011, 01:35 PM

717 posts, read 898,452 times
I think some of us just have more open minded opinions of what we consider attractive when it comes to cities. Because according to tmac, if I find New York attractive, there's no way I could find Atlanta the same.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Blah, Blah Blah, look how Liberal I am, blah, blah, blah.
So being pro-education is a bad thing now? News to me. Last time I checked it wasn't a good thing to be a backwards redneck moron.

Quote:
Who is the planning discipline and why is their opinion so important? Most Americans live in suburban sprawl, and majority rules
Majority rules and the market rules. Majority also ruled in Detroit. Majority also ruled in Camden, NJ. Majority ruled in a lot of places that just couldn't sustain themselves and urban sprawl, while currently functional, will not sustain for long.

ESPECIALLY with the low quality of mass-produced housing these days... The southern suburbs will fall apart even before the rest of Detroit's stock, guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City