U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 08:37 PM

42 posts, read 226,052 times

Advertisements

I am debating which place to move between these two. Has anybody lived in both and have an opinion? Whats better about one than the other? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 38,812 times
I moved to Chicago about a year ago from Minneapolis. I love both places. I am a native of CO, so I'm not biased to either one.

Chicago is a much "younger" city. There is ALWAYS something to do. People are really friendly. I love that I can walk anywhere I want to go like the grocery store, hair salon, restuarants, bars, shopping, etc. It's very easy to get involved in actvities. There is ALWAYS something to do. It's a big city, but has a small city feel to it. It is great having Lake Michigan on the shore of the city. The downsides: The traffic is a pain. And this past winter was worse than any winter I experienced in MPLS. Housing is not as affordable

I liked MPLS too, but it's much more spread out. I lived in a suburb of St. Paul (Apple Valley) and was always commuting to Minneapolis for work, social events, the lakes, etc. It was about a 30 minute drive, which doesn't sound bad, but it got old fast. Downtown MPLS is very clean. The lakes are beautiful and there are a lot of outdoor activites. The downsides: there's not as much to do as compared to Chicago, but I was never bored! I've heard from other people that it's hard to meet people. I had no problem, but none of the friends I made are originally from Minneapolis. I think it's still pricy for a mid-west city.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, what you like to do, if you have kids, etc so my answers may not be too relavent. I am single and in my late 20's. If I HAD to choose one over the other, I think I would pick Chicago (but it's also summer time and there is no better city to be in during the summer) However, I would be open to moving back to Minneapolis.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:54 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,988,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlec View Post
The downsides: there's not as much to do as compared to Chicago, but I was never bored! I've heard from other people that it's hard to meet people. I had no problem, but none of the friends I made are originally from Minneapolis. I think it's still pricy for a mid-west city.
Still pricey by midwestern standards, but wages are nearly as high in Minneapolis while housing prices in particular are lower. Overall, you'll get more for your money there.

However, Cook County has more residents than all of Minnesota. There's certainly a wider variety of stuff here, whether jobs, nightlife, or recreation -- but that depends on what you like to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City