Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas, TX Vs Jacksonville, FL
Dallas, TX 29 67.44%
Jacksonville, FL 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,904 times

Advertisements

Which would be better Dallas, TX or Jacksonville, FL

In regards to the following criteria in that order

a. Warmer tolerable weather year round
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals
c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D)
d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools
e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation
g. Social life
h. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate

Last edited by spalam01; 07-25-2011 at 12:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Which would be better Dallas, TX or Jacksonville, FL

In regards to the following criteria in that order

a. Warmer tolerable weather year round
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals
c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D)
d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools
e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation
g. Social life
h. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate
It's kind of a weird mismatch because Dallas is so much larger which gives it advantages in some areas, but here's my take anyway. Overall I think Jacksonville has a lot to offer and is a more family-friendly environment in my opinion.

For warmer tolerable weather year-round - Jacksonville
Cost of Living - Jacksonville
Career Opportunities -Dallas given it's size and variety of employers
Education - I'd give the edge to Jacksonville which has some of the best schools in the state in it's southern suburbs
Transportation - Slight edge to Jacksonville due to it's lack of critical mass traffic like Dallas, though Dallas has better transit now. Jacksonville has a light rail project in the works.
Scenic Beauty/Recreation - Once again I would say Jacksonville. It's hard to beat quick beach access and other water-based recreation. It's also an easy day's drive to the NC/GA/TN mountains.
Social life - Probably a draw, population size in my opinion doesn't determine one way or another.
Peaceful/Less Crime - Once again a draw and will depend upon where you live. Both cities have plenty of peaceful areas with low crime.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For warmer tolerable weather year-round - Jacksonville
Cost of Living - Jacksonville
Career Opportunities -Dallas given it's size and variety of employers
Education - I'd give the edge to Jacksonville which has some of the best schools in the state in it's southern suburbs
Transportation - Slight edge to Jacksonville due to it's lack of critical mass traffic like Dallas, though Dallas has better transit now. Jacksonville has a light rail project in the works.
Scenic Beauty/Recreation - Once again I would say Jacksonville. It's hard to beat quick beach access and other water-based recreation. It's also an easy day's drive to the NC/GA/TN mountains.
Social life - Probably a draw, population size in my opinion doesn't determine one way or another.
Peaceful/Less Crime - Once again a draw and will depend upon where you live. Both cities have plenty of peaceful areas with low crime.
A couple of these are questionable. I don't see how Jacksonville would have the edge when Dallas already had light rail since the mid 90's and is expanding at a good rate. LESS crime would go to J-ville. Cost of living is another thing I'd give to Dallas, but you would have to check the numbers.

I don't know about the weather, but I guess....

Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM

801 posts, read 1,513,306 times
a. Warmer tolerable weather year round - Jacksonville, no question about it

b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals - Jacksonville

c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D) - Dallas, because it's bigger

d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools - Jacksonville, has 3 of the best schools in the nation and some really great schools in neighboring St. Johns County

e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation - Jacksonville, hardly any traffic during rush hour except in a few places. Public transportation is abysmal but not for long, plenty of plans with that

f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation - Jacksonville, the beach and the river

g. Social life - Depends on who you are but probably easier in Dallas

h. Peaceful/reasonably less crime rate - IDK, depends on where you live

Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
a. Warmer tolerable weather year round - Jacksonville, no question about it

b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals - Jacksonville

c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D) - Dallas, because it's bigger

d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools - Jacksonville, has 3 of the best schools in the nation and some really great schools in neighboring St. Johns County

e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation - Jacksonville, hardly any traffic during rush hour except in a few places. Public transportation is abysmal but not for long, plenty of plans with that

f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation - Jacksonville, the beach and the river

g. Social life - Depends on who you are but probably easier in Dallas

h. Peaceful/reasonably less crime rate - IDK, depends on where you live
Dallas has 2 of the best schools in the nation.

School for the Talented and Gifted at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center is ranked #1 and School of Science and Engineering at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center is ranked #4

Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Dallas has 2 of the best schools in the nation.

School for the Talented and Gifted at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center is ranked #1 and School of Science and Engineering at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center is ranked #4
After googling that it looks like y'all actually have the top two best schools in the nation. Guess I gotta go with TIE on education, because it's not like you won't get a good education here in Jacksonville. Oh, and one of our schools, Stanton, is #4.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,904 times
Looks like in regards to weather, Jacksonville, FL wins hands down compared to Dallas, TX

I am not that bothered about the hot summer during Apr to Sep, as I am born and brought up in a warmer climatic conditions.

How is the weather between Oct to Mar in Dallas? Would it be possible for one to go freely without any overcoat in the evenings or early mornings like one can go out in LA

Does the humidity+ hot climate between Apr to Sep in Jacksonville is still better compared to dry hot climate in Dallas between Apr to Sep?

Following links are the avg temp info from Weather.com

For Jacksonville: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USFL0228

For Dallas: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USTX0327

For Los Angeles: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0638

Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,271 times
Overall, Jacksonville

Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
A couple of these are questionable. I don't see how Jacksonville would have the edge when Dallas already had light rail since the mid 90's and is expanding at a good rate. LESS crime would go to J-ville. Cost of living is another thing I'd give to Dallas, but you would have to check the numbers.

I don't know about the weather, but I guess....
Maybe reading comprehension isn't all that great in Dallas..??

What I actually said was Dallas had better public transit but gave the edge to Jacksonville because traffic isn't as bad, and that Jacksonville is adding Light Rail.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Maybe reading comprehension isn't all that great in Dallas..??

What I actually said was Dallas had better public transit but gave the edge to Jacksonville because traffic isn't as bad, and that Jacksonville is adding Light Rail.
That's just it on the subject of transportation here.

How can one city be better if they have only one half the advantage? Not really a question to you, but a general question about this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City