Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Painted Ladies or Brownstones
Painted Ladies 24 39.34%
Brownstones 37 60.66%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

These have to be the cream of the crop of American homes when it comes to architecture. They both have Victorian style architecture dating back to the 19th century. These are remarkable pieces of artwork.

Which has a better exterior design?

Painted ladies

‪Painted Ladies - Alamo Square - San Francisco‬‏ - YouTube

Brownstones

‪Brooklyn Heights Brownstone Houses Pan - NYC Pal Stock‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
That's tooough!

I'm going to have to go with the Brownstones. I wouldn't care to be tossed and told to live in a painted lady over a brownstone though.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Definately the Painted Ladies for me. The detailing is exquisite.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
The painted ladies are beautiful buildings. They really are. When most people think of SF's painted ladies, they think of the 6 along Alamo Square. Those are the most famous (in large part due to the skyline in the background... think Full House opening credits), but there are a number of other clusters in the city (4-6 houses in a row).

Still, I'm a bigger brownstone fan. I always have been. What's more is that entire neighborhoods in Brooklyn are all brownstones. I think the effect is much more impressive than a cluster of painted ladies (no matter how beautiful) surrounded by more bland architecture (One of my biggest gripes with residential SF is just how many buildings waste that ground floor streetwall with garages... a blemish on an otherwise strikingly beautiful city). The stonework in many of those brownstones just blows my mind as well. I love the Victorians, but the brownstones take this one for me.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 AM

224 posts, read 347,432 times
i've always found the painted ladies tacky. sorry.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:07 AM

381 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The painted ladies are beautiful buildings. They really are. When most people think of SF's painted ladies, they think of the 6 along Alamo Square. Those are the most famous (in large part due to the skyline in the background... think Full House opening credits), but there are a number of other clusters in the city (4-6 houses in a row).

Still, I'm a bigger brownstone fan. I always have been. What's more is that entire neighborhoods in Brooklyn are all brownstones. I think the effect is much more impressive than a cluster of painted ladies (no matter how beautiful) surrounded by more bland architecture (One of my biggest gripes with residential SF is just how many buildings waste that ground floor streetwall with garages... a blemish on an otherwise strikingly beautiful city). The stonework in many of those brownstones just blows my mind as well. I love the Victorians, but the brownstones take this one for me.
San Francisco has Victorian rowhouses across the entire city - it's easily the most common housing stock in SF.
The question should be San Francisco-style Victorian rowhouses vs. Brooklyn Brownstones

Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^i know. I'm just saying they are mixed among other architectural types while many pockets of Brooklyn's brownstones are more uniform and in much larger groups. My GF lives in a nice old Victorian in San Francisco.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Like both, and love that image with the painted ladies and the skyline. To me that style always feels like the beach. Not too far from NYC (or Philly which has some very similar brownstones are these painted ladies) but on this they are both different but great. For a city I would probably say the brownstones as they feel more city to me but enjoy both styles.

The 7 Sisters | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/carriegrace/2785666646/ - broken link)

Have always enjoyed the Victorian style houses of SF and also Cape May, after SF the second largest collection of Vistorian homes in the US

Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Painted ladies. More reminecinet of the mansions I know and love down south.

kidphilly-what's a brownstone look like on the interior? Elaborate?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Painted ladies. More reminecinet of the mansions I know and love down south.

kidphilly-what's a brownstone look like on the interior? Elaborate?

They will all differ and depending on the time of construction.

Here is a tour of a re-done brownstone but many are turned into multi-apartment walkups

‪The Light Well: 20th & Walnut Street‬‏ - YouTube

Here is one that is turned into apts/condos

‪Homes for Sale - 1035 Spruce St Apt Ll3 - Philadelphia, PA 1‬‏ - YouTube

They vary dramatically on the inside from single use to multi use

NY folks can give a better description on their differences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City