Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: northern california the equivalent of upstate ny and downstate il?
yes 33 15.64%
no 178 84.36%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times

Advertisements

I'm actually more surprised that there are even 11 votes....

Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM

107 posts, read 125,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
i dont want the "california vs. georgia" thread to become too off topic, but this is something i want to get my thoughts out.

nyc and chicago pretty much run their states, and pretty much their whole regions. most people in ny state and illinois live around new york city and chicago, either directly in the city or in the suburbs.

i argue that cali is the same way since the la area is 50% of california, and the city of la is by far and away the largest city in california.

i'm not saying that upstate ny, downstate il, or northern cali are irrelevant, im just arguing that they are all alike in that they all take a deeeeeep back seat to the primate city and metro areas in their states. hell, nyc's suburbs spill into two other states, and it can be argued that nyc runs new jersey.

so is northern cali like upstate ny and downstate il?
So is NoCal San Francisco more like NY upstate Buffalo or Illinois Peoria? Thats absurd. Lol

Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM

215 posts, read 384,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
So is NoCal San Francisco more like NY upstate Buffalo or Illinois Peoria? Thats absurd. Lol
Not to nitpick, but perhaps I am nitpicking, but Buffalo is not "upstate". It's Western NY(WNY) as is Rochester. Obviously San Fran is a lot bigger than Buffalo so that comparison is lopsided, but so is comparing Peoria to Buffalo

Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
LOL - Downstate Illinois and Northern California? There is nothing to compare here. NoCal is very liberal, topographically diverse, expensive, and generally has a mild climate. Oh, I also forgot to mention that it has a big pond called the Pacific Ocean. Downstate Illinois is conservative, generally flat, less expensive, and usually has hot, humid summers and chilly winters. Obviously, there is no ocean. Downstate Illinois is pretty much identical to the downstate areas of contiguous states like Indiana and Missouri. Extreme Downstate Illinois is essentially the South.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:10 AM

107 posts, read 125,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Not to nitpick, but perhaps I am nitpicking, but Buffalo is not "upstate". It's Western NY(WNY) as is Rochester. Obviously San Fran is a lot bigger than Buffalo so that comparison is lopsided, but so is comparing Peoria to Buffalo
You are. Anything north of NYC is upstate.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Buffalo IS Upstate. Buffalo is not some special area unto itself, as much as it likes to put on airs that it is. Western New York *is* "Upstate."

Old 08-18-2011, 04:08 AM

208 posts, read 411,381 times
Bottom Line: San Fran is one of America's greatest cities, so no, LA doesn't dominate its state to the degree Chicago and NYC do.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 AM

215 posts, read 384,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Buffalo IS Upstate. Buffalo is not some special area unto itself, as much as it likes to put on airs that it is. Western New York *is* "Upstate."
Buffalo can be "referred" to as upstate, but in general it's WNY(Western New York) and how most identify it. It has nothing to do with putting on any "special airs"

Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
It's better?...

Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
i dont want the "california vs. georgia" thread to become too off topic, but this is something i want to get my thoughts out.

nyc and chicago pretty much run their states, and pretty much their whole regions. most people in ny state and illinois live around new york city and chicago, either directly in the city or in the suburbs.

i argue that cali is the same way since the la area is 50% of california, and the city of la is by far and away the largest city in california.

i'm not saying that upstate ny, downstate il, or northern cali are irrelevant, im just arguing that they are all alike in that they all take a deeeeeep back seat to the primate city and metro areas in their states. hell, nyc's suburbs spill into two other states, and it can be argued that nyc runs new jersey.

so is northern cali like upstate ny and downstate il?
To suggest Northern California takes a backseat to Southern California shows a general misunderstanding for what life is like in California. I'd argue cities other than San Francisco in Northern California take a back seat to San Francisco, and that cities other than LA in Southern California take a back seat to LA. To suggest though that SF is upstate LA would probably offend your average SF resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City