Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 AM

199 posts, read 355,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Y'all travel at a higher rate overseas. Is this supposed to impress me or something? Is the desire to leave Canada that bad?
Who said I was trying to impress you? You addressed me first, not vice-versa.

Anyways, it's Americans who are the exception to the rule. Americans have a pathetic 30% with passports. Canada's 60% is normal. We travel overseas. We are world travellers. Yes, we have a desire to see the world. Most Americans don't or can't. Doesn't really matter which it is. The fact remains that only 30% of Americans have a passport. You can do your little song and dance to try and defend this fact and make it look good. But it doesn't change the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Who said I was trying to impress you? You addressed me first, not vice-versa.

Anyways, it's Americans who are the exception to the rule. Americans have a pathetic 30% with passports. Canada's 60% is normal. We travel overseas. We are world travellers. Yes, we have a desire to see the world. Most Americans don't or can't. Doesn't really matter which it is. The fact remains that only 30% of Americans have a passport. You can do your little song and dance to try and defend this fact and make it look good. But it doesn't change the fact.
Canadians travel internationally because their country is mostly a vast expanse of...trees. Permafrost makes for a ****ty family vacation and no one wants to sip margaritas on Canadian beaches.

America, well, that's another story. There are just too many cool cities, beaches, national parks, and and historical sites to really justify leaving the country for a lot of people. Maybe Americans will start traveling more when we run out of things to do in our own country LOL.

In all honesty though, I think there is something to this notion that Americans in general just have less interest in the rest of the world than our European and Canadian counterparts.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Maybe Americans will start traveling more when we run out of things to do in our own country LOL.
Ka-ching!!!!!

Quote:
In all honesty though, I think there is something to this notion that Americans in general just have less interest in the rest of the world than our European and Canadian counterparts.
Probably, and I'd say it's because the world comes to us. We can visit Miami or Honolulu and feel like we're on another continent.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Don't know if anyone has mentioned, but in addition to wealth being a driving factor (ability to travel more frequently) perhaps another contributing factor is the percentage of citizens residing in any state that are naturalized citizens from other continents, Europe, Asia, Africa, etc? For instance, are there a higher percentage of naturalized citizens from South Korea living in a) California, or b) West Virginia?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Isn't it an apples to oranges comparison of the % of Canadians that have passports vs. the % of Americans? I mean Canada has what, 10% the population of the U.S.? Not to mention that most Canadian cities or located very near the Canadian/U.S. border. I mean, northern Canada is nice and all, but there's no vast metropolis in Nunavut for a summer vacation. There is also a much larger number of impoverished people in the U.S. and international travel (including the simple act of purchasing a passport) is not inexpensive.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Lol, Canada.

You guys are the Buster Bluth of nations. I can almost hear you saying "I'm a gentleman and a scholar...I enjoy scholarly pursuits". You guys are funny/cute because you get your hands bit off by seals and think the blue on the map is land.

Thanks

Meanwhile, we're the Lucile Bluth of nations. We spend more than we have, we're mean, cunning, provincial...we don't always make sense, but ultimately we control things.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
Many of the passport holders in the coastal states are also likely to be uninterested in a large swath of the United States (due to a different breed of ignorance), even though an intellectually curious mind can find something interesting in every nook and cranny of the U.S. They can spend their lives traveling the World and be completely ignorant of what much of the U.S. has to offer.

I've said this a million times on different C-D threads... almost every group of people is ignorant in its own special way.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I've said this a million times on different C-D threads... almost every group of people is ignorant in its own special way.
Say it again. Say it again!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Isn't it an apples to oranges comparison of the % of Canadians that have passports vs. the % of Americans? I mean Canada has what, 10% the population of the U.S.? Not to mention that most Canadian cities or located very near the Canadian/U.S. border. I mean, northern Canada is nice and all, but there's no vast metropolis in Nunavut for a summer vacation. There is also a much larger number of impoverished people in the U.S. and international travel (including the simple act of purchasing a passport) is not inexpensive.
I already explained that we didn't need passports to travel to the U.S. until about 2 years ago. The fact that double the percentage of Canadians have a passport than Americans has NOTHING TO DO with how often we travel to America. It has to do with how often we travel OVERSEAS. We do so at a much greater rate than Americans do. If the argument is that America has so much to see and do - we could have been doing that all these years WITHOUT passports (Canadians seeing the United States). That's NOT why we have passports. We have them to travel to Europe, Asia, etc.

There's no reason for 70% of Americans to not own a passport, and not be able to travel overseas. Why not broaden your horizons? Why not see the world?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Lol, Canada.

You guys are the Buster Bluth of nations. I can almost hear you saying "I'm a gentleman and a scholar...I enjoy scholarly pursuits". You guys are funny/cute because you get your hands bit off by seals and think the blue on the map is land.

Thanks

Meanwhile, we're the Lucile Bluth of nations. We spend more than we have, we're mean, cunning, provincial...we don't always make sense, but ultimately we control things.

Thanks
No. The United States is more like the Paulie Shore of nations. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City