Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times

Advertisements

1. New Jersey
2. Alaska
3. Massachusetts
4. New York
5. California
6. New Hampshire
7. Connecticut
8. Washington
9. Vermont
10. Maryland

Of these top 10, I know NJ, NY, CA, and MA have a large number of immigrants/foreign-born residents. I know there are some in CT and MD as well. I'm frankly not too familiar with Washington, VT, Alaska, and NH.

Those who are legal tend to apply for US citizenship and once they are naturalized, they apply for US passports right away. Hey, I speak from experience; many of those I know who came to the US as immigrants or as expatriates (school or work) who later attained legal permanent residency ultimately applied for US citizenship when they became eligible - and once they attain US citizenship, they all, without exception, get US passports.

This is easily explained: people like these (including me) tend to have relatives and sometimes immediate family residing abroad, so to visit them, a US passport is needed once you've become a US citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Florida sort of fills this niche, plus you don't need a passport to visit the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Plus, once you leave 'Merica, there's a much smaller chance of finding Chic-fil-a or Bojangles.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM

199 posts, read 355,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Hey, it's the angry city hippy again...

Could one of the reasons why Canada's percentage is so high is because 90% of their population lives within 100 miles of the US?
No. We didn't need passports to travel to the US until a few years ago, yet we've always had a high percentage with passports. We travel OVERSEAS at a far, far, far higher rate than Americans. In fact, I believe there is still some sort of enhanced driver's license you can use again.

Try again. You'll make a correct statement eventually. It's called the law of averages.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM

199 posts, read 355,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
It wasn't until 2009 that Canadians needed a passport to entry the US (by land). Even before then, the number of Canadians with Passport was higher than Americans.
Yes! Someone other than me has a brain on this forum.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
The top 10 are basically my favorite states.. and well, the bottom ten....

Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Seems like this would follow incomes, honestly.

Worst? How can you be 'the worst' at owning a passport? Why is owning a passport something to be proud of? I bet I've been to more countries than just about anyone posting here, and I don't think that makes me a better person or some stupid sh*t like that.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Being in the Caribbean, near Mexico, and such I would have thought that people in the South would want to visit those holiday destinations more.
You didn't have to have a passport to go to Mexico until very recently.
Or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
No. We didn't need passports to travel to the US until a few years ago, yet we've always had a high percentage with passports. We travel OVERSEAS at a far, far, far higher rate than Americans. In fact, I believe there is still some sort of enhanced driver's license you can use again.

Try again. You'll make a correct statement eventually. It's called the law of averages.
Y'all travel at a higher rate overseas. Is this supposed to impress me or something? Is the desire to leave Canada that bad?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM

46 posts, read 51,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Seems like this would follow incomes, honestly.

Worst? How can you be 'the worst' at owning a passport? Why is owning a passport something to be proud of? I bet I've been to more countries than just about anyone posting here, and I don't think that makes me a better person or some stupid sh*t like that.
Having a passport is something everyone should be proud of. A passport holder is far more likely to be educated/enlightened than a non-passport holder. And what do you know, the bastion of enlightenment aka upper-east coast and west coast locales are at the top and the "problematic" racist/poor/backwards/extreme-right-wing deep-southern/Appalachian dump states are at the bottom.

If rubes in Mississippi/West Virginia/Arkansas etc. would open their minds and stop bitterly clinging to their guns and ignorance maybe they will move up a notch on these "worst" list they always seem to win.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andover11 View Post
Having a passport is something everyone should be proud of. A passport holder is far more likely to be educated/enlightened than a non-passport holder. And what do you know, the bastion of enlightenment aka upper-east coast and west coast locales are at the top and the "problematic" racist/poor/backwards/extreme-right-wing deep-southern/Appalachian dump states are at the bottom.

If rubes in Mississippi/West Virginia/Arkansas etc. would open their minds and stop bitterly clinging to their guns and ignorance maybe they will move up a notch on these "worst" list they always seem to win.
Sounds like you're the one that needs some enlightenment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City