U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 26,506,228 times
Reputation: 7534

Advertisements

How many metros are there where the main City is not the densest in the metro area.

For example:

Greater Boston densest city is Cambridge
Los Angeles- densest cities are Inglewood, Santa Anna and Norwalk
Phoenix- Chandler, Glendale, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert are the densest
Dallas-Fort Worth- Plano, Garland, Arlington are the densest

I am looking for major suburbs (100k or more) not tiny 1 sq mile cities with a high density but only 15,000K population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 11,796,833 times
Reputation: 4025
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
How many metros are there where the main City is not the densest in the metro area.

For example:

Greater Boston densest city is Cambridge
Los Angeles- densest cities are Inglewood, Santa Anna and Norwalk
Phoenix- Chandler, Glendale, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert are the densest
Dallas-Fort Worth- Plano, Garland, Arlington are the densest

I am looking for major suburbs (100k or more) not tiny 1 sq mile cities with a high density but only 15,000K population.
Somerville isn't quite 100k people...but it's bigger than 1 square mile: ~76,000 in 4.1 square miles for 18,150 people per square mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 04:51 PM
 
49,701 posts, read 71,260,432 times
Reputation: 10947
List of United States cities by population density
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 26,506,228 times
Reputation: 7534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I am not familiar with every city in the US. i don't know to which metros all of those belong


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Somerville isn't quite 100k people...but it's bigger than 1 square mile: ~76,000 in 4.1 square miles for 18,150 people per square mile.
that is not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
 
7,776 posts, read 8,095,512 times
Reputation: 4510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Somerville isn't quite 100k people...but it's bigger than 1 square mile: ~76,000 in 4.1 square miles for 18,150 people per square mile.
Chelsea is 2 sq. miles with 36,000 people, so it is close to 18,000 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
735 posts, read 1,324,481 times
Reputation: 353
I'm pretty sure that every major metro has municipalities that are more dense than the central city. The San Francisco CSA may be an exception to this, but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
 
6,359 posts, read 9,959,991 times
Reputation: 6447
Because of Nashville's city-county consolidation...a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 11,796,833 times
Reputation: 4025
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Chelsea is 2 sq. miles with 36,000 people, so it is close to 18,000 as well.
True...but I figured Chelsea was too close to the "1 sq mile, 15,000 people" criteria which Htown outlined in his/her OP. There are many Boston suburbs which are in the 10,000 ppsm range, they're just all very small geographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 26,506,228 times
Reputation: 7534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I'm pretty sure that every major metro has municipalities that are more dense than the central city. The San Francisco CSA may be an exception to this, but I'm not sure.
Nope. There are none in cities like NY, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Houston, Miami, Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, SF, Austin, Charlotte, Savannah, Tampa, Denver etc etc. unless you count really small areas that are just a few sq miles.

I can only come up with Boston, DFW, LA and Phoenix (and as Nashvols have pointed out, maybe Nashville too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 11,796,833 times
Reputation: 4025
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Nope. There are none in cities like NY, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Houston, Miami, Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, SF, Austin, Charlotte, Savannah, Tampa, Denver etc etc. unless you count really small areas that are just a few sq miles.

I can only come up with Boston, DFW, LA and Phoenix (and as Nashvols have pointed out, maybe Nashville too)
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a suburb of HOTlanta that was more dense than the city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top