Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:42 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times

Advertisements

That 100% sums it up. NY'ers are just accustomed to seeing trash anywhere, so relatively the system looks a hell of a lot better than in the 1970s/1980s.

Compared to anywhere else in the world though, the NYC subway is horrendously dirty and rundown.

Lets compare

Singapore subway station:

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~nguyenvu/images/VT_photos/singapore/2002_12-02/356_Waiting_Raffle_MRT.jpg (broken link)

Hong Kong subway station:

New York City subway station:

But in New Yorker's minds as long as the subway doesn't look like this (1980s style), then it is in good shape:

http://www.romanvirdi.com/nyc/coney_island_2.JPG (broken link)

So as you can see the focus is very comparitive locally, but on a global level the MTA has fallen way behind what is acceptable in terms of cleanliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
New Yorkers are accustomed and used to such grime, some places though grimey look good to them relatively but compare them to systems in other cities in the US or abroad, and you get the picture of NY's negligence and filth the filthy people who ride them, not all but a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:42 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Actually StuyTownRefugee, I've been to numerous parts of nyc, including brooklyn, queens, and long island. I'm not just the sort that sweeps into town, stares at Time's Square, and leaves. I've stayed in people's homes in Bushwick, and Greenpoint, BK. I'm just sayin', not everyone who reports that they've visited new york means that they've stopped at a couple of tourist spots in manhattan.

I know some people who live in new york like to think they 'have it the roughest' or live in the 'rawest city' ,etc... I guess that is part of your shtick out there (don't get me wrong, I like new york), but having traveled around the world, around new york, and growing up a stones throw from some pretty interesting places on the south side of Chicago myself, I find the all of the bravado a bit amusing, and rather hollow. Are there parts of nyc that are crumbling and dirty, of course, but there are parts of many cities in this world in which the disparity of wealth and poverty is huge that are that way, new york is just one of them. I know a some new yorkers think they are 'special' somehow in this regard, but they are not.

Last edited by j33; 11-17-2007 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: changed 'a lot' to 'some'

Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 AM

146 posts, read 688,964 times
Quote:
Well in many stations there is that and plenty of urine spots that reak especially in warm months and it's broiling down there
Urine is bad, but for my money, nothing smells worse than those pools of stagnant water that collect underground and totally foul up nearby train stations. It gets pretty nasty sometimes at 59th/Lex, and I remember a couple years back when you had to sprint through southeast part of Union Square (at ground level, too, not just in the station) because the smell was so unbearable.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:51 AM

646 posts, read 813,645 times
I fully agree and thanks for your pics and the trains most of them are practically falling apart, rickety and so noisey everyone is deaf from them, hard seats, no support, like cattle cars in NY. No restrooms public anywhere as if that even is unimportant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
That 100% sums it up. NY'ers are just accustomed to seeing trash anywhere, so relatively the system looks a hell of a lot better than in the 1970s/1980s.

Compared to anywhere else in the world though, the NYC subway is horrendously dirty and rundown.

Lets compare

Singapore subway station:

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~nguyenvu/images/VT_photos/singapore/2002_12-02/356_Waiting_Raffle_MRT.jpg (broken link)

Hong Kong subway station:

New York City subway station:

But in New Yorker's minds as long as the subway doesn't look like this (1980s style), then it is in good shape:

http://www.romanvirdi.com/nyc/coney_island_2.JPG (broken link)

So as you can see the focus is very comparitive locally, but on a global level the MTA has fallen way behind what is acceptable in terms of cleanliness

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-17-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Actually StuyTownRefugee, I've been to numerous parts of nyc, including brooklyn, queens, and long island. I'm not just the sort that sweeps into town, stares at Time's Square, and leaves. I've stayed in people's homes in Bushwick, and Greenpoint, BK. I'm just sayin', not everyone who reports that they've visited new york means that they've stopped at a couple of tourist spots in manhattan.

I know some people who live in new york like to think they 'have it the roughest' or live in the 'rawest city' ,etc... I guess that is part of your shtick out there (don't get me wrong, I like new york), but having traveled around the world, around new york, and growing up a stones throw from some pretty interesting places on the south side of Chicago myself, I find the all of the bravado a bit amusing, and rather hollow. Are there parts of nyc that are crumbling and dirty, of course, but there are parts of many cities in this world in which the disparity of wealth and poverty is huge that are that way, new york is just one of them. I know a some new yorkers think they are 'special' somehow in this regard, but they are not.

Often that's the case.

Well I'm not one of them, it's disgusting because I"ve lived in other world class cities, the fact NYC as a whole not just the subway has no public conveniences like other cities (not comparing to Third World cities) is enough to contribute to some mega sanitation problems.

Obviously you're judging me by where I live assuming I think like those you know who are proud of rawness, not me sir, I've lived too many other places.

Anyway discussion about NYC and perhaps other systems in the US is better done on a separate thread. For this one NYC ranks as for the country definitely one of the dirtiest and not just subways but lack of ventilation in supposedly redone tenement buildings, closet size apts, sliced up even more adds to all the filth, but @ 2000 or so a month to city landlords that's a virtue and a kindness they bestow.

I've ridden the El in Chicago I can't recall if Chicago has public restrooms in it or elsewhere. That's important when people are crammed together. There aren't ciities in the South that feature that either but as in DC and elsewhere there is no problem for people to use restrooms in businesses etc, There is in NYC that's a big problem here.

Again another thread another time.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:10 AM

104 posts, read 449,844 times
Cleanest: Singapore

Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
Urine is bad, but for my money, nothing smells worse than those pools of stagnant water that collect underground and totally foul up nearby train stations. It gets pretty nasty sometimes at 59th/Lex, and I remember a couple years back when you had to sprint through southeast part of Union Square (at ground level, too, not just in the station) because the smell was so unbearable.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention all the flooding (that causes mold and mildew) that gets worse and worse. Imagine what you're breathing in.

It's very unhealthy.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
There is no excuse for not having public restrooms in the city since it want's to idolize London and Paris and other myriad reasons. The inevitable will happen and it does too often.
The reason why there are no public stalls in NYC is when the city experimented with the idea about a decade ago, they got sued for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act because they were not wheelchair accessible. And it was not practical to make them so -- they would have to be so big as to completely block sidewalks. I'm all for making reasonable accommodations for the disabled, but sometimes the disability advocates forget that "reasonable" is part of the equation. And I don't think it's reasonable to deny 98% percent of the population the use of public stalls which 100% of the city would benefit from (cleaner, more sanitary city) because 2% of the population can't use them.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:52 PM

274 posts, read 320,118 times
I live in NYC and have never seen anything like that in my entire life. Those pictures are obviously decades old when New York was a war-zone.

In NY, my neighborhood is spotless and beautiful.

Anyway, most large cities in the world are dirtier than average because of the huge populations but out of all the ones I've visited Tokyo was the cleanest.

Last edited by SaintLaurent; 11-17-2007 at 05:11 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 04:56 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Of course your neighborhood is clean and beautiful, you live in Manhattan. I'd guess its not Uptown Manhattan either. Take a trip to the slums of Uptown and the Bronx....tell me me if it's spotless. Where I live it sure as hell aint.

ANd Hustla's no idiot. Have more respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City