Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times

Advertisements

I think thats a tad bit of an exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm going to second Hustla in this and state that NYC is the filthiest city that I have ever seen. Because the buildings are so close, often with no alleys, trash piles like mountains outside your tiny apartment. Even in Calcutta the people understood that you throw garbage outside the city.

The smell of urine is omnipresent in every corner of the city. In all boroughs. I will never understand this. Where are all of these pedestrian urinators coming from?

However, it is the attitude which makes NYC so inherently dirty. People well and truly do not care about throwing trash on the ground, or throwing up on subways, or disposing of garbage wherever you happen to be.

In terms of cities and not areas, I think Chicago is the cleanest city that I have seen so far. I didn't appreciate alleyways until I moved back here. I didn't appreciate comprehensive sewer systems until I moved back here. I certainly never appreciated neighbors that felt guilty (even the ones that don't speak English!) for cooking if the aroma travels. I have a family of mad Russians that lives on the floor below me, and the father used to apologize weekly for the smell of cabbage (I told him to stop apologizing; it wasn't terrible and as long as they opened the windows it went away).

Every single day I see someone in this city pick up garbage from the ground and throw it away. Just passerby, even those with high-quality leather gloves. Hell, our businesspeople pick up trash if they see it. It's just what you do here.

I do believe that our mass transit is pretty dirty, however. Again, it still doesn't compare to the filth I regularly dealt with on the subways in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 PM

274 posts, read 320,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm going to second Hustla in this and state that NYC is the filthiest city that I have ever seen. Because the buildings are so close, often with no alleys, trash piles like mountains outside your tiny apartment. Even in Calcutta the people understood that you throw garbage outside the city.

The smell of urine is omnipresent in every corner of the city. In all boroughs. I will never understand this. Where are all of these pedestrian urinators coming from?

However, it is the attitude which makes NYC so inherently dirty. People well and truly do not care about throwing trash on the ground, or throwing up on subways, or disposing of garbage wherever you happen to be.

In terms of cities and not areas, I think Chicago is the cleanest city that I have seen so far. I didn't appreciate alleyways until I moved back here. I didn't appreciate comprehensive sewer systems until I moved back here. I certainly never appreciated neighbors that felt guilty (even the ones that don't speak English!) for cooking if the aroma travels. I have a family of mad Russians that lives on the floor below me, and the father used to apologize weekly for the smell of cabbage (I told him to stop apologizing; it wasn't terrible and as long as they opened the windows it went away).

Every single day I see someone in this city pick up garbage from the ground and throw it away. Just passerby, even those with high-quality leather gloves. Hell, our businesspeople pick up trash if they see it. It's just what you do here.

I do believe that our mass transit is pretty dirty, however. Again, it still doesn't compare to the filth I regularly dealt with on the subways in NYC.
Great. I hope you're enjoying "pristine and spotless" Chicago!!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Chicago is boring.
New Yorkers with "no other place matters" attitudes are boring.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM

274 posts, read 320,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
New Yorkers with "no other place matters" attitudes are boring.
What are you talking about?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:03 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Whats the Dirtiest and Cleanest cities you've seen?
Dirtiest: tie between London and New Orleans. They were both dirtier than border towns.

Cleanest: Raleigh, NC

Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 PM

646 posts, read 813,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Dirtiest: tie between London and New Orleans. They were both dirtier than border towns.

Cleanest: Raleigh, NC

Really about London? I haven't been to London in a while. How long has it been for U? I think the weather there like in the NE esp in the winter makes everything look dirtier than would normally.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Dirtiest: Detroit

Cleanest: Nashville
have you ever been to Nashville when it rains? particularly around Elliston Place, and even sometimes on Broadway you can get a whiff. i don't even know what the smell IS, but it's completely horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm not gonna sit here and claim Chicago is sp!c n' span from top to bottom, but I don't understand the claim that our subways are "nasty and horrible." Here is some footage of a few subways:

Red Line Lake stop

Red Line Harrison stop

Blue Line, stop unknown (Chicago Avenue maybe?)

Blue Line Jackson stop

No vomit piles, no stew-bums, no grafitti, no urine puddles, no trash piles, very little litter... what else do you want?

ahh, now, Drover, we all know the vomit/urine/feces conglomerates at Wilson. i almost slipped in vomit TWICE walking down the stairs there one day.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:43 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
ahh, now, Drover, we all know the vomit/urine/feces conglomerates at Wilson. i almost slipped in vomit TWICE walking down the stairs there one day.
Don't get me started on the lovely smell of urine that seems ubiquitous around the entrance of the Division subway stop on the Blue Line, as well as the mysterious liquids dripping from the stalactite like things in the cracked ceilings. Oh yes, I love my subway stop

Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Don't get me started on the lovely smell of urine that seems ubiquitous around the entrance of the Division subway stop on the Blue Line, as well as the mysterious liquids dripping from the stalactite like things in the cracked ceilings. Oh yes, I love my subway stop
eww, mysterious stalactite things are never good.

see, I rarely ride the blue line. but at least my stop smells like urine and fried chicken AND chinese food (Bryn Mawr) on some wonderful occasions!

Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
Dirtiest city I've ever visited? hands down Tijuana,MX!!! Some others that were pretty dirty (garbage thrown everyone,smelly) Baltimore (except inner harbor,which is nice), Atlantic City,NJ, Newark,NJ, Detroit.
Cleanest: Charlotte and Boston seemed fairly clean ,but I haven't visited either in 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City