Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:03 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Awwww, but it's great New York. CTown, I'll bet you didn't expect this kind of response! That poor guy in the third picture looks hopeless. Makes you want to put your arm around him and tell him everything's gonna be all right. Unfortunately, this density that everyone touts on this site is the one thing responsible for the trash in Manhattan, the excrement in the halls and the smell of urine everywhere, even in the winter. That guy probably jumped out the nearest broken window. It's not just Bronx and Harlem crumbling. Two jackhammer construction workers fell 10 feet through a hole in the sidewalk yesterday. When I was getting the stations from New York, I would check out the temperatures during the winter on their early morning shows. I especially enjoyed the morning when it was 16 degrees, and a sewer pipe ruptured up the street. The sewage flowed down the street and people had to be evacuated from their basement apartments. The sewage flowed inside the apartments, AND FROZE! I don't think I want to be a part of it.

The DENSITY is responsible for this?? What are you talking about? Do you think that those high-rise condo buildings overlooking Central Park have excrement and urine in the hallways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
BS huh... What about the photographs and the study...

I don't recall ever saying that dirt doesn't exist in New York. Quote me where I did.

However, the pictures in question are not representative of the city at large. They are selected locations, which remains obvious to anyone with half a brain who can figure out that the city would have no tourism whatsoever if it were the slum you deem it to be.

You really need to move to another city if you hate New York so much.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I don't recall ever saying that dirt doesn't exist in New York. Quote me where I did.

However, the pictures in question are not representative of the city at large. They are selected locations, which remains obvious to anyone with half a brain who can figure out that the city would have no tourism whatsoever if it were the slum you deem it to be.

You really need to move to another city if you hate New York so much.
There is a lot of trash in NYC due to high density foot traffic. Overflowing trash cans, people throwing trash on the floor becuase of lack of cans in certain places. The photos I posted are scattered around wealthy NYC. From Midtown to Downtown. I also threw in photos of the transit system, which is filthy.

Now the second set are photographs from the ghetto (It's obvious). So trash is to be expect in these areas which have less frequent or non existant mainatance.

If you think NYC is clean, you have never left the city. NYC is the dirtiest city I have ever been to. NYC has more graffiti wealthy areas then I have seen in the ghettos of other cities. Air quality sucks becuase of traffic and industry. It is especially bad in the Bronx and Harlem thanks to incinerators and highways heavy with truck traffic that are always at a stand still such as the Cross Bronx Expressway.

No one called the city a slum either, stop sucking off a city that honestly doesn't give a **** about you. It's dirty, get over it. Your comments have nothing to do with this topic.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:09 PM

You could not be lying more if you tried. You're going to tell me that every street in New York is like that, dirty? And every single train station? You need to get out more.

And you may not have called the city a slum, but it's plenty obvious that you want people to believe it is such. And you're right - talk about how New York is and isn't dirty does not belong in a topic titled "Dirtiest and cleanest cityies you've seen?". No, I conceed that one to you.

Tsk tsk. What future does our city have if our own "law enforcement officers" have no faith in it whatsoever?

Such a shame....

Old 08-14-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You could not be lying more if you tried. You're going to tell me that every street in New York is like that, dirty? And every single train station? You need to get out more.

And you may not have called the city a slum, but it's plenty obvious that you want people to believe it is such. And you're right - talk about how New York is and isn't dirty does not belong in a topic titled "Dirtiest and cleanest cityies you've seen?". No, I conceed that one to you.

Tsk tsk. What future does our city have if our own "law enforcement officers" have no faith in it whatsoever?

Such a shame....

No not every street in NYC is "covered" in filth but there is much more trash scattered around then the average city. Streets considered clean in NYC would be average in another city, becuase I guarentee you will see bottles and other trash flying around somewhere on that block. That is the point of this topic. Filth. I have been to plenty cities where there is very little trash scattered around. In some cities the most I saw was ciggerette buds, maybe some gum wrappers here and there. NYC is filthy by comparison. As for the transit system. Filthy. Yes even the stations in wealthy areas.

Like I said it has a lot to do with the foot traffic. High density and a renters market also plays a part. The city doesn't help either with poor maintance and trash cans over flowing. My favorite though is retail strips in the AM. Bags placed in front of businesses only to be cut open by homeless and scammers looking for items. This leads to sidewalks covered in trash for blocks.

I understand you might really like New York but don't try and play off this city as being one of the cleanest.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:48 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Awwww, but it's great New York. CTown, I'll bet you didn't expect this kind of response! That poor guy in the third picture looks hopeless. Makes you want to put your arm around him and tell him everything's gonna be all right. Unfortunately, this density that everyone touts on this site is the one thing responsible for the trash in Manhattan, the excrement in the halls and the smell of urine everywhere, even in the winter. That guy probably jumped out the nearest broken window. It's not just Bronx and Harlem crumbling. Two jackhammer construction workers fell 10 feet through a hole in the sidewalk yesterday. When I was getting the stations from New York, I would check out the temperatures during the winter on their early morning shows. I especially enjoyed the morning when it was 16 degrees, and a sewer pipe ruptured up the street. The sewage flowed down the street and people had to be evacuated from their basement apartments. The sewage flowed inside the apartments, AND FROZE! I don't think I want to be a part of it.
That's only one example of a small part of the city. The entire NY is not like that. You're going to have the rough areas and the good areas. You can't just generalize it as being all together.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
No not every street in NYC is "covered" in filth but there is much more trash scattered around then the average city. Streets considered clean in NYC would be average in another city, becuase I guarentee you will see bottles and other trash flying around somewhere on that block. That is the point of this topic. Filth. I have been to plenty cities where there is very little trash scattered around. In some cities the most I saw was ciggerette buds, maybe some gum wrappers here and there. NYC is filthy by comparison. As for the transit system. Filthy. Yes even the stations in wealthy areas.

Like I said it has a lot to do with the foot traffic. High density and a renters market also plays a part. The city doesn't help either with poor maintance and trash cans over flowing. My favorite though is retail strips in the AM. Bags placed in front of businesses only to be cut open by homeless and scammers looking for items. This leads to sidewalks covered in trash for blocks.

I understand you might really like New York but don't try and play off this city as being one of the cleanest.
I'm actually not even that big of a fan of New York - it's just that I can differentiate between BS and the truth.

You paint a very one-sided picture of New York. You must believe it is exactly like "Batman Begins" or something. It's not like that at all.

But you're obviously too stubborn to even open your eyes and step outside, so its all good.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I'm actually not even that big of a fan of New York - it's just that I can differentiate between BS and the truth.

You paint a very one-sided picture of New York. You must believe it is exactly like "Batman Begins" or something. It's not like that at all.

But you're obviously too stubborn to even open your eyes and step outside, so its all good.
I posted photos, I gave descriptions and possible reasons as to why things are the way they are. Someone even posted a study which backs my claims.

I'm now waiting for you to point out the part where I typed some BS. Waiting...

Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
It's not that I hate New York, it's just that it throws itself in your face every chance it gets. That's what it does. That's ALL it does. Live by the fat mouth, die by the fat mouth. I've been watching it for more years than CTown has been alive. Every city has some of this going around. Those that don't will cane you for much, much less. I just had a little fun with someone who probably expected his thread to go in a different direction, and when someone came out of the blue to slam his hometown, I just ran with it. Everything I stated is true, though. Too many hamsters in the cage and your city will resemble those pictures. An old sewer system breaks in the dead of winter and you'll get a flooded neighborhood. Then, their local news will gloss over it. Ahh, the dicotomy of New York. See, no hate.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Density does cause this. That, and horrible people. Now, congratulations to New York, for today it became the first city in the country to charge its own residents for traveling into the most crowded areas of town. Seems like that density thing is really working out for them! London, too. Looks like failure to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City