U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
When was the last time you ate out in Philly? The last two years alone have made a huge difference, and of course you do need to know where to go, any old restaurant will not do, not in any city. FWIW my wife writes for Zagat and I'm quite immersed in the whole food debate. Philly ranks, its just like in baseball, the last few years have been exceptional for Philly, and it's no fluke... it's the future.

I know it's a silly distinction, but there are two Iron Chefs out of Philly now. I don't agree with the assessment that Philly is that far behind. I thought I'd share what the chef said, but it is an exaggeration, not an understatement... and plenty of other informed critics don't agree with that assessment. If there is a city Philly knocked off # 4 it's L.A.

I love eating out and Philly is fantastic and actually gets better every month. I still dont put up there with NY/SF/Chicago. I do love that Philly continues to have multiple restaurant opening every month even through the donw economy.

Not sure i agree with the Philly Mag list but there are many on there that are very good.

These are few of my recent favorites in Philly (but for the record it is still behind NYC/SF/Chicago) but to me has been closing the gap, interestingly Starr STARR Restaurants has been one of the recent pioneers in the NYC destination restaurant scene and most definately a Philly guy.

a kitchen - Located at AKA Rittenhouse Square; 135 South 18th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 Very excited here after my first meal

OPA PHILADELPHIA Pretty good greek

http://talulasgarden.com/ Great outdoor garden space and very good food right on Wash Sq, a transplant from the branywine valley of the Philly burbs and exceptional

http://thedandelionpub.com/ Another new Starr but chill scene

Frankford Hall | Beer Garden Everyone needs a German beer garden with Brats

Serafina Philadelphia (though a NY transplant)

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-07-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I like this article and largely agree but imo another extremely important criteria that defines a great food city is Exceptional Food at Any Budget Level.

Alos agree, many good gastro pubs in Philly as well

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,246,268 times
I see you do go to the recent openings, I do to, I have to. Talula's Garden is a jaw-dropper. JG Domestic was also exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I love earing out and Philly is fantastic and actually gets better every month. I still dont put up there with NY/SF/Chicago others have there high and low points. I do love that Philly continues to have multiple restaurant opening every month even through the donw economy.

Not sure i agree with the Philly Mag list but there are many on there that are very good.

These are few of my recent favorites in Philly (but for the record it is still behind NYC/SF/Chicago) but to me has closing the gap, interestingly Starr STARR Restaurants has been one of the recent pioneers in the NYC destination restaurant scene and most definately a Philly guy.

a kitchen - Located at AKA Rittenhouse Square; 135 South 18th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103 Very excited here after my first meal

OPA PHILADELPHIA Pretty good greek

http://thedandelionpub.com/ Another new Starr but chill scene

Frankford Hall | Beer Garden Everyone needs a German beer garden with Brats

Serafina Philadelphia (though a NY transplant)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 AM

That's where some of the great burgers are hiding. Kraftwork Bar, Kennett, Adsum & Square 1682 had the #2, #3, #4 and #5 best burgers I have ever had... and I've eaten many burgers in my life, that's for sure. #6 best burger - LaCrosse, Wisconsin. The meat was just so damn good, do they keep their best Angus cuts for themselves out there? Then we switch to NY,

Quote:
Alos agree, many good gastro pubs in Philly as well

Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
That's where some of the great burgers are hiding. Kraftwork Bar, Kennett, Adsum & Square 1682 had the #2, #3, #4 and #5 best burgers I have ever had... and I've eaten many burgers in my life, that's for sure. #6 best burger - LaCrosse, Wisconsin. The meat was just so damn good, do they keep their best Angus cuts for themselves out there? Then we switch to NY,

Yes many, personally I have always liked North Third in No Libs, New Wave in QV, Devils Den in Passyunk, and Royal Tavern in Bella Vista. But all said NYC is still my choice but do love all that I can walk to in Philly, so many choices these days. Not to mention probably the best BYO scene of any city (though to be fair that is probably due to the dumb PA liquor laws)

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-07-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM

8,641 posts, read 8,775,115 times
1) NYC
2) Boston (tied with SF)
2) San Fran (tied With Boston)
3) Philly
4) New Orleans (tied with Chicago)
4) Chicago (tied with new Orleans)
6) Miami
7) Los Angeles

Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I see you do go to the recent openings, I do to, I have to. Talula's Garden is a jaw-dropper. JG Domestic was also exceptional.

Actually had added Talulas, a great addition, need to check out JG domestic J.G. DOMESTIC - Tour (Another Garces Creation) , never been actually. Also the new place just opened in headhouse looks interesting. Home, The Twisted Tail, Philadelphia, PA ~ 215-558-2471

Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM

And as i said i voted for NYC and still put SF/Chicago ahead of Philly but think Philly can make a case for number along with some others (LA/Boston/Houston) also NOLA is kind of its own unique category and worth the culinary and cultural visit. But am so happy to see Philly continue on its positive momemtum, great new places all the time plus many great market options.

RTM is as good as gets for city markets

‪Reading Terminal Market: America's Heartland Series‬‏ - YouTube

And the Italian market is really making some positive changes and expect even better things as Passyunk continues to become a new destination neighborhood

Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Danya (my significant other) did a Zagat write-up of Twisted Tail - http://www.zagat.com/buzz/twisted-tail-first-look

Quote:
Actually had added Talulas, a great addition, need to check out JG domestic J.G. DOMESTIC - Tour (Another Garces Creation) , never been actually. Also the new place just opened in headhouse looks interesting. Home, The Twisted Tail, Philadelphia, PA ~ 215-558-2471

Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Better vid of the Market - Thank you backtoharmony

‪Reading Terminal Market Philly 9/16/2010.‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or