Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,713,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforced View Post
ALSO Philly beat SF in homestyle cooking/restaurants and Philly also has SF beat in city starters/representations

City starter/rep means stuff that a city is known for like water ice soft prezels and cheesesteaks ECT.

To tell truth, I don't know any hometown food from SF that has the cheesesteak beat.

Depends what you like... plenty of people would take Mission Burritos over cheese steaks (although I wouldn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,820,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteriousRegion View Post
Then you aren't like every other person then. It's rare to meet someone who doesn't love Italian.
I love Italian, I just like other cuisines more. I love food in general.

Quote:
I thought this was about city limits only? Westminster is a good 30-45 minutes away from Los Angeles.
Then don't bring up Flushing.

Anyways, let me take Westminster out. Pho Western, Pho 2000, and Pho ABC on Western in LA's Koreatown stand on their own. I ended many nights at Pho 2000. Pho sits well on alcohol, I've discovered - I've also discovered that mixing alcohol and Vietnamese curry is like swallowing fire. Heed my warning; I suffered so you don't have to.

33 posts, read 43,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Where does NY demolish SF or LA in anything Asian? Oh wait, it's the other way around.
You know..there IS more to the world than just Asia....I'm just saying that even there, NYC is either #1 or #2 for most Asian cuisines from Chinese to Korean to Indian.

Quote:
Keep deluding yourself.
How many restaurants have you ate in Flushing? or even Manhattan's Chinatown? Even Sunset Park?

Name one place that's as good as Golden Palace in Flushing (which is probably the best amongst many Chinese places in NYC) in SF or LA? And please, give some menu item by menu item comparison

46 posts, read 51,713 times
Quote:
And you somehow believe San Francisco is not the bolded? Please.

And only someone who's never been to SF believes there's a lack of "refined" cuisine.
Wait, who said that? Let's not attempt to put words in my mouth in hopes of making a nonexistent point.

San Francisco has a wonderful array of culinary. LA is a dump at the upper level, but overall all the cities mentioned are great food cities but they're not New York. New York is the most popular and happening food city in the United States so please kindly get over it.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I love Italian, I just like other cuisines more. I love food in general.
That's good, so why not admit NYC's primate status in this category? Everything here is good.

Quote:
Then don't bring up Flushing.
Flushing IS in NYC city limits, while Westminster isn't even in the same county as Los Angeles.

Quote:
Anyways, let me take Westminster out. Pho Western, Pho 2000, and Pho ABC on Western in LA's Koreatown stand on their own. I ended many nights at Pho 2000. Pho sits well on alcohol, I've discovered - I've also discovered that mixing alcohol and Vietnamese curry is like swallowing fire. Heed my warning; I suffered so you don't have to.
I should try those out next time I'm in LA. However, until I do, I still stand by my "NYC has the best pho" comment.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andover11 View Post
Wait, who said that? Let's not attempt to put words in my mouth in hopes of making a nonexistent point.

San Francisco has a wonderful array of food as does Vegas when it comes to the higher end. They're all good cities for food, but they're not New York. New York is the most popular and happening food city in the United States so please kindly get over it.

In the context of the rest of your post, you said that as if it was something that only pertained to NYC.

You weren't arguing that NYC was the most happening, you were arguing that there no category that NYC is not superior in which is obviously bogus. Just because NYC has everything doesn't mean they do everything well... there's a reason why NYC is known for its Jewish Delis and Pizzerias as opposed to its Mexican.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
That's good, so why not admit NYC's primate status in this category? Everything here is good.
Apes don't make good food. They don't even make gorilla biscuits :'(

Since I think that SF, LA, and Boston have better food on the whole, I decline to admit that NYC has better food. Sorry.

Quote:
Flushing IS in NYC city limits, while Westminster isn't even in the same county as Los Angeles.

I should try those out next time I'm in LA. However, until I do, I still stand by my "NYC has the best pho" comment.
Shame that you'll be wrong until you finally get out this way.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
You know..there IS more to the world than just Asia....I'm just saying that even there, NYC is either #1 or #2 for most Asian cuisines from Chinese to Korean to Indian.

How many restaurants have you ate in Flushing? or even Manhattan's Chinatown? Even Sunset Park?

Name one place that's as good as Golden Palace in Flushing (which is probably the best amongst many Chinese places in NYC) in SF or LA? And please, give some menu item by menu item comparison

Do you really believe that in the 150 year + history of Chinese immigrants and Chinese Americans in the Bay Area, there aren't superior Chinese options - and lots of them? That would be as equally idiotic as arguing that there's better Italian in SF. Not that there aren't some great Italian places in SF, but... its no NY.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Do you really believe that in the 150 year + history of Chinese immigrants and Chinese Americans in the Bay Area, there aren't superior Chinese options - and lots of them? That would be as equally idiotic as arguing that there's better Italian in SF. Not that there aren't some great Italian places in SF, but... its no NY.
Ummm....NY Chinatown is around 150 years old as well.

Chinatown, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In fact, it was founded in 1858, so that would make it 153 years old, only 10 years younger than SF's Chinatown. Nowadays, NYC's two Chinatowns individually are larger than SF's, with Brooklyn's on the way to beating it.

NY's Chinese population has been here nearly as long as the Italian or Jewish population. They are embedded into this city in a way you wouldn't believe.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
NY's Chinese population has been here nearly as long as the Italian or Jewish population. They are embedded into this city in a way you wouldn't believe.
Somehow, after having met dozens and dozens (hundreds?) of Asians who are 3rd, 4th, 5th generation American... I think that those of us out West here believe it quite well. In fact, we believe it so well, it's no longer really novel to most people out here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City