Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That's different from using it to measure the number of restaurants by type. The Yelp rating doesn't matter, just the notion that Yelp represents a decent listing. Yelp tends to attract complainers which makes it tough to judge a restaurant fairly. Every restaurant has the occasional glitch, and in that industry, sometimes former employees also leave bad reviews out of spite. I'd say I agree 100% Yelp is not a great source of reviews.
When I was managing a hotel, I dealt with a woman and her boyfriend visiting from New Jersey for about 40 minutes; I basically planned their whole day for them, was super-polite, booked them tours, and gave them my near undivided attention. They were happy and the next day, told me everything was great.

About a week later, she wrote a one-star review on Yelp saying we were unhelpful, and that her trip had been ruined by the guy at the desk who ignored them for nearly a half an hour.

Had another guy who lied, referred to my employees as "immigrants" (there were a couple Irish people at the desk), said that our building didn't have permits, etc. because he thought he was Elizabeth Taylor and didn't think we were generous enough to him with upgrades or something.

Both peoples' accounts were bascially nothing but them just tearing businesses to shreds. Furthermore, everyone on Yelp thinks they're a comedian... the unfunny, haughty, snotty responses are too much for me. I used to be an active yelper early on, but now? It's where Generation X goes to passive-aggressively get their angst out on the world while making themselves seem better than they really are at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
I photograph hotels, and sometimes I am behind the scenes when a customer behaves that way. You know this already, but for the benefit of others... Some hotel guests are always looking for a way to get money back. Their main method is to find one thing to complain about and run with it. The reward is supposed to be some kind of refund, comp, or upgrade. If you call them on it, the inevitable result is being trashed in online reviews, and yelp is ground zero for that crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I was managing a hotel, I dealt with a woman and her boyfriend visiting from New Jersey for about 40 minutes; I basically planned their whole day for them, was super-polite, booked them tours, and gave them my near undivided attention. They were happy and the next day, told me everything was great.

About a week later, she wrote a one-star review on Yelp saying we were unhelpful, and that her trip had been ruined by the guy at the desk who ignored them for nearly a half an hour.

Had another guy who lied, referred to my employees as "immigrants" (there were a couple Irish people at the desk), said that our building didn't have permits, etc. because he thought he was Elizabeth Taylor and didn't think we were generous enough to him with upgrades or something.

Both peoples' accounts were bascially nothing but them just tearing businesses to shreds. Furthermore, everyone on Yelp thinks they're a comedian... the unfunny, haughty, snotty responses are too much for me. I used to be an active yelper early on, but now? It's where Generation X goes to passive-aggressively get their angst out on the world while making themselves seem better than they really are at the same time.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM

346 posts, read 739,246 times
I like new orleans the most, But honestly to someone who knows the listed cities they all would have great food if you know where to look.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Anyway, I never really voiced my own opinion.

I find that the Bay Area has the most all-around vibrant food scene because your options don't decrease if you live in the suburbs... I can get great Asian, Latin American, European and Carribean eats in the peninsula just as easily as I could in San Francisco or Oakland. The only exception is African food... the vast majority of them are in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley.

In some of the other cities you can get better than you can get in SF... I'd quickly argue that Mexican food is better in RWC, Vietnamese is better in SJ, Carribean is better in Palo Alto, Afghan is better in Fremont, etc. I don't know of any other metros where the outer metro offers better in quantity of anything (i.e. not one or two isolated restaurants) than the big city.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Anyway, I never really voiced my own opinion.

I find that the Bay Area has the most all-around vibrant food scene because your options don't decrease if you live in the suburbs... I can get great Asian, Latin American, European and Carribean eats in the peninsula just as easily as I could in San Francisco or Oakland. The only exception is African food... the vast majority of them are in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley.

In some of the other cities you can get better than you can get in SF... I'd quickly argue that Mexican food is better in RWC, Vietnamese is better in SJ, Carribean is better in Palo Alto, Afghan is better in Fremont, etc. I don't know of any other metros where the outer metro offers better in quantity of anything (i.e. not one or two isolated restaurants) than the big city.
Then I would suggest you have not traveled or experienced enough, believing your own press does have its shortfalls...

Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Then I would suggest you have not traveled or experienced enough, believing your own press does have its shortfalls...

I would suggest you stick with the things you know, and my background is not among them.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
I would suggest you stick with the things you know, and my background is not among them.

Well then you obviously mention things that are not true, have you spent considerable times in the burbs of NYC, Philly, or DC - you will find many enclaves with such dinning relative to the core (actually NYC is the wildcard because it actually will have more of both even compared to the Bay, which is excellent in this regard).

I am beggining to think that many SF posters are actually less well traveled, which actually surprises me at some level.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:06 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times
Quote:
I don't know of any other metros where the outer metro offers better in quantity of anything (i.e. not one or two isolated restaurants) than the big city.
Vietnamese in Westminster OC will blow any Vietnamese restaurant you can find in LA. San Gabriel Valley chinese restaurants are leaps and bounds better than anything you can find in LA as well. Mexican is pretty much a wash for anywhere in southern california. I can enjoy a good Korean meal in Fullerton/Garden Grove/Buena Park OC just as easily as I can in Koreatown.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well then you obviously mention things that are not true, have you spent considerable times in the burbs of NYC, Philly, or DC - you will find many enclaves with such dinning relative to the core (actually NYC is the wildcard because it actually will have more of both even compared to the Bay, which is excellent in this regard).

I am beggining to think that many SF posters are actually less well traveled, which actually surprises me at some level.

I've never been to Philly.

As for DC and NYC, I have spent time in the DC burbs (i.e. I stayed with relatives in them) and my impression of them was that the options tended to be inferior to what was in DC itself. In NYC I haven't left the city itself so you'd be right that I don't know about the situation in the NYC metro area.

As far as Chicago, LA, Las Vegas and other cities that I've visited enough to be familiar with the suburbs though, I know exactly what I'm talking about... if you think you can find better anything in Orange County or Riverside than what you can find in LA then think again. NW Indiana or Illinois South and West of Chicago? Nope. Outside of Vegas there's next to nothing worth writing home about food wise.

The major exceptions are big cities with college towns nearby like Boston... the vast majority of the great food in the Boston area though remains in Boston.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Vietnamese in Westminster OC will blow any Vietnamese restaurant you can find in LA. San Gabriel Valley chinese restaurants are leaps and bounds better than anything you can find in LA as well. Mexican is pretty much a wash for anywhere in southern california. I can enjoy a good Korean meal in Fullerton/Garden Grove/Buena Park OC just as easily as I can in Koreatown.

That's the first time I've heard the Vietnamese recommendation for Westminster. I'll have to look into that the next time I'm down there. I did know about San Gabriel Valley though. That's the main exception... otherwise, the best Korean, Italian, Pizza, Indian, etc. is in LA.

EDIT: Fullterton/Garden Grove/Buena Park don't offer "better" Korean than Koreatown though. I mean suburbs that clearly offer BETTER than what the main city does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City