U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,245,919 times

Advertisements

Not at all, why do you assume stuff like that. I used online reviews, never watched Travel Channel in my life. Who cares what your opinion of the place is,, if the hot dog itself sucks (which it does if it's a Vienna Beef dog) then how's it ever going to be good? You didn't say if Hot Doug's was exceptionally bad for some mysterious reason, I mean everyone is using the same ingredients, right? If it's just overpriced then what do I care. Regardless, didn't look like the crowd there was tourists at all. Foursquare indicated tons of locals where swamping the joint right when I got there, and it's not exactly downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Hot Doug's in Chicago is a tourist trap and overpriced. Did you go there just because you saw the restaurant being advertised on the Travel Channel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,245,919 times
OK I'm buying it. Dallas is known as a restaurant city but next time I do a poll I'll use Houston if I have to choose a Texas city, to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree. I think there is better variety in Houston and would offer it as a choice long before Dallas. Seriously?? what's up with these resent polls not including Houston but include Dallas which then ends up with very zero votes. Dallas is not known as a food city, Houston is.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I guess. But the best Texas bbq is in the hill country. It not only has the best bbq, but the beat bbq scene, atmosphere, and culture that Texas has to offer.
A lot of people would agree with you because the Hill Country is often lauded as having great BBQ. But I prefer east Texas BBQ

Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM

343 posts, read 660,253 times
Quote:
I agree. I think there is better variety in Houston and would offer it as a choice long before Dallas. Seriously?? what's up with these resent polls not including Houston but include Dallas which then ends up with very zero votes. Dallas is not known as a food city, Houston is.
Houston is not more of a recognized food city than Dallas is. Neither of them are among the top in the nation but both offer good options

Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Houston is not more of a recognized food city than Dallas is. Neither of them are among the top in the nation but both offer good options
Houston consistently ranks in the top ten, Dallas as a city or Metro never ranks. That sounds more recognized to me.

Quote:
A decade ago it was easy enough to contend that if you wanted the best French food you'd go to France, the best Italian food you'd go to Italy, and the best Japanese food you'd go to Japan. But if the last ten years have shown gastronomes anything, it's that food the equal of any in the world is now to be found in the USA. And not just in New York or San Francisco. Cities like Chicago, Houston, Washington, and Boston have enormous breadth and depth in many ethnic categories.
The fact is, you won't find better French haute cuisine than you will at Le Bernardin in New York or better Italian food than at Spiaggia in Chicago or better sushi than at Urasawa in Beverly Hills. For seafood, Seattle is paradise; for vegetarian, head for Berkeley; and for the grandest deluxe, Las Vegas is an international contender.

So, what are America's best restaurant cities — in order of excellence?
1. New York — No contest, really. With more than 20,000 restaurants and eateries — and an increasing number of really good food carts — NYC rules, not least because New Yorkers and 35 million visitors are willing to spend the money for the best and because expense-account breakfasts and lunches drive a phenomenal amount of restaurant business. It was at the Four Seasons, opened in 1959, that the term "power lunch" was coined by Esquire; the "power breakfast" started at the Regency Hotel. The tradition of great food (at sometimes-towering prices) continues with remarkable new openings including Osteria Morini, Lambs Club, Compose, Ciano, and ABC Kitchen (pictured above). Then there's Eataly, the sprawling new food hall that draws daily crowds that rival those at MoMA or Yankee Stadium.
In downtown neighborhoods from Tribeca to Nolita and everywhere in between, there is hardly a block that doesn't have two or three restaurants on it. The pizza, hamburger, pork, hot dog, and bao sandwich wars are real and raging, and the Jewish delis still pile phenomenally good pastrami on rye without let-up.

2. Chicago — Chicagoans love to eat with abandon and refuse to be gouged by the bill. So you almost always get a square meal for a square deal, now more than ever with the rise to eminence of the gastro-pubs like Longman & Eagle, the Purple Pig, Avec, the Girl & the Goat, and the Bristol, each with its own swagger and exaltation of charcuterie culture.
Chi-town's historic restaurants, like Gene & Georgetti's steak house, are now few in number, but waves of conventioneers keep longstanding classics like Charlie Trotter's, Spiaggia, and Tru packed. There's no better or more seminal Mexican restaurant anywhere than Topolobampo, and the city is America's epicenter for avant-garde, molecular cuisine.

3. San Francisco — Even if you don't accept San Franciscans' insistence that the stellar restaurants of Napa and Sonoma Valleys are part of their gastronomic landscape, no city (except New Orleans, below) is more serious about its food and wine than San Francisco. It was here that the New American Cuisine movement was born at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, where Mediterranean was married to Northern California provender at places like Piperade, where Cal-Ital took flight at Oliveto and Quince, where vegetarian food was lifted beyond its polemics at Green's, and where Asian cuisines have flourished ever since the Chinese emigrated here in the 19th century.

4. New Orleans — The standard greeting in New Orleans is, "Where'd you have lunch and where you going for dinner?" Which makes perfect sense because the city's principal tourist attraction is its high-class Creole restaurants and lowdown Cajun eateries. Five years after Katrina and just months after the Gulf oil spill, the Crescent City is back on its feet, and its cooks are invigorated, shaken from their shock and stupor, so that old-timers like Brennan's and Commander's Palace are better and brighter than ever, newcomers like Stanley are making prole favorites like po' boys into great dishes, and a veteran soul-food eatery like Willie Mae's Scotch House is still doing their nonpareil fried chicken and red beans with rice. Life on the Mississippi is good again.

5. Los Angeles — Although L.A.'s most exciting, edgy decade was from 1985 to 1995, its restaurants' showiness and celebrity idolatry have faded in favor of more solid innovation and honest cookery. Wolfgang Puck continues to surprise everyone, not only by keeping Spago at the glamorous top of its form but with a stunning morphing of the American steak house at Cut and, this past year, Chinese food at WP24. Piero Selvaggio's Valentino in Santa Monica still ranks among the top five Italian restaurants in America, and the city's Japanese food mavens are as manic about discovering great new restaurants as any sushi addict in Osaka. And, everywhere, restaurants are done with a whole lot of La-La-Land style.

6. Las Vegas — Say what you will about Sin City and its expensive tinsel, but developers like Steve Wynn and Carl Icahn have put their billions where their mouths are. Even if most of the marquee names like Joël Robuchon, Alain Ducasse, Guy Savoy, and Pierre Gagnaire are absentee chefs, there is no disputing the high quality of their restaurants, from décor and table settings to cuisine and wine lists. Those chefs who are in their kitchens, like Paul Bartolotta of Bartolotta Ristorante, Alessandro Stratta of Alex, and Julian Serrano of Picasso, have proven themselves among the very best anywhere. What Vegas lacks are the kinds of ethnic neighborhoods other great resto cities have, but that may come in time when the recession leaves town.

7. Houston — Solid, across the board, describes Houston's food scene, from Goode Co. Barbecue to Hugo's Mexican restaurant, from the New Texas Cuisine of Robert Del Grande's RDG + Bar Annie to the opulently grand Italian food at Tony's. Américas pioneered Nuevo Latino cuisine here, and the Vietnamese immigrants, who control the city's seafood industry, have contributed enormously to Houston's vitality.

8. Washington, D.C. — Money, lobbyists, and lawyers fuel the Capital's dining scene, even if our stalwart legislators can't accept dinner from BP, the NRA, the AMA, or the NFL. D.C., especially for its size, has the country's best Spanish restaurant, Taberna Alabardera; its best Indian restaurant, Rasika; and an increasing number of first-rate Italian restaurants, like Bibiana downtown and Capri in nearby McLean, Virginia. And few would dispute that chef Michel Richard is not a national treasure and an inspiration for chefs everywhere, both at Citronelle in Georgetown and the brand-new Michel's in Tyson's Corner.

9. Boston — Boston long ago outlived its Beantown nickname (in fact, it's tough to find baked beans anywhere in town these days), evolving into an East Coast version of San Francisco, where a 1980s generation of chefs including Lydia Shire, Ken Oringer, Jody Adams, Jasper White, and Gordon Hamersley took the New England cornucopia and exacted their own imaginations to create restaurants of refinement, innovation, and honest good taste. By the same token, its historic restaurants, like Durgin Park and Locke-Ober, shook off their rust and are no longer considered tourist traps, instead serving up true and traditional Boston fare with the kind of ingredients you can only find off its shores.
10. Seattle — Were it not for Pike Place Market, I'm not sure Seattle would be a great restaurant town, but its importance cannot be underestimated in a city so perfectly situated to take advantage of the bounty of the Northwest and the Pacific — not to mention access to terrific wines from local vineyards. The quality of the food at Pike Place Market challenges local chefs to do their best with the best, and to treat those ingredients with respect, not gimmickry. Well-established places like the always exciting Canlis and Tom Douglas's Dahlia Lounge and Etta's Seafood, and the well-positioned Ray's Boathouse on Shilshole Bay, have been joined by wonderful, down-to-earth restaurants like Café Juanita, the always packed Salumi run by Mario Batali's father

Read more: Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire

Old 08-07-2011, 03:26 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Not all agree with you.
Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire

Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 PM

317 posts, read 325,470 times
Quote:
Both cities are amongst the best in the nation. I've traveled extensively, and can logically say both are fantastic eateries.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Both cities are amongst the best in the nation. I've traveled extensively, and can logically say both are fantastic eateries.
all major cities have fantastic eateries. Not all of them are ranked best in the nation.

Dallas may have Zagat rated restaurants but Dallas is not known or ranked as a top food city in the US.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM

317 posts, read 325,470 times
Quote:
all major cities have fantastic eateries. Not all of them are ranked best in the nation.

Dallas may have Zagat rated restaurants but Dallas is not known or ranked as a top food city in the US.
Doesn't make much of a difference. I don't do "ratings" or "rankings". Personally I don't care about much at all about them. Food is subjective, and it should be heard and responded to subjectively, hah.

I have days where I instantly crave a certain food and thats all I would ever want to eat that day, eating anything else is just rubbish, its one of those type of days where I would wish a city like Austin would have more food choices amongst varied ethnicities.

Can you believe Chinatown in Austin is the same size as the Chinese strip center in Sugar Land, TX? You cant imagine how horrifically awful ethnic food is in Austin, yes it has Thai, Chinese, whatever but it has neither the quantity nor the quality. Its just good enough to "get you by the way".

No one can deny how diverse Houston and Dallas are, and if people haven't had exceptional food in either, then they're missing out.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
The street food revolution continuing to unfold in the Bay Area has been quite a 'delicious' battle(LOL) for those of us fortunate enough to be benefactors of the upscale/downscale experimentations of some of our local culinary elites. LOL.

Excellent Quality+Cheap.

Who knew? LOL.

This gastronomic feast-in-a-box was purchased from a street cart in the Bay.

Lobster & orange salad, escargot lollipops, skate cheeks, blue crab soup, and braised sweetbreads. Who does that? LOL

This assortment of street food one finds on Bay Area sidewalks these days is quite diverse and they peddle all sorts of things you may never would of thought of, such as this roadside table in Oakland...

Sinaloa is one of the most dilectible 'mobile' restaurants, aka taco trucks, in Oakland-and Oakland probably has over 100-but this one is my favorite and people from the hills, artsy flatlanders and loftdwellers brave the possible danger of seeing hookers and drug dealers walking by to delight in something like this:

Other street vendors are reshaping the overall Bay Area food scene as evidenced by their offerings:

In keeping with Sinaloa's mexican fare, here's a shot of another dish from another street place, Duck tacos.

Peruvian food truck serving up NY Steak and Fries...

Steam bun sliders from a a food cart...

Called a Shrimp toastie...

And so on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or