U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM

343 posts, read 660,506 times

Advertisements

I concede- I am very familiar with the Dallas dining but need to spend more time in Houston. I just have never heard Houston described as a top dining city until now but maybe I am wrong.
I know Dallas has excellent restaurants and I never have a lack of options, but I need to dive deeper in Houston's scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,246,627 times
Philly just had its first annual Vendy awards. The food truck revolution is here as well. http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-vendy-awards/

"The culinary competitors have been in the street vendor business anywhere from a few months to more than two decades and offer epicurean experiences in soul food, gourmet desserts, vegetarian cuisine, Middle Eastern specialties, home-style brunches, even tacos from restaurateur and “Iron Chef” winner Jose Garces"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The street food revolution continuing to unfold in the Bay Area has been quite a 'delicious' battle(LOL) for those of us fortunate enough to be benefactors of the upscale/downscale experimentations of some of our local culinary elites. LOL.

Excellent Quality+Cheap.

Who knew? LOL.

This gastronomic feast-in-a-box was purchased from a street cart in the Bay.

Lobster & orange salad, escargot lollipops, skate cheeks, blue crab soup, and braised sweetbreads. Who does that? LOL

This assortment of street food one finds on Bay Area sidewalks these days is quite diverse and they peddle all sorts of things you may never would of thought of, such as this roadside table in Oakland...

Sinaloa is one of the most dilectible 'mobile' restaurants, aka taco trucks, in Oakland-and Oakland probably has over 100-but this one is my favorite and people from the hills, artsy flatlanders and loftdwellers brave the possible danger of seeing hookers and drug dealers walking by to delight in something like this:

Other street vendors are reshaping the overall Bay Area food scene as evidenced by their offerings:

In keeping with Sinaloa's mexican fare, here's a shot of another dish from another street place, Duck tacos.

Peruvian food truck serving up NY Steak and Fries...

Steam bun sliders from a a food cart...

Called a Shrimp toastie...

And so on...

Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Can you believe Chinatown in Austin is the same size as the Chinese strip center in Sugar Land, TX? You cant imagine how horrifically awful ethnic food is in Austin, yes it has Thai, Chinese, whatever but it has neither the quantity nor the quality. Its just good enough to "get you by the way". .
Yes I can imagine how horrifically awful it is. I have told you before that is why hate living in Austin. Its the little things like restaurants that I miss the most. Great place to spend a weekend you don't mind not remembering the details of, horrible place if you enjoy variety of options. Same goes for San Antonio.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 PM

317 posts, read 325,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
I concede- I am very familiar with the Dallas dining but need to spend more time in Houston. I just have never heard Houston described as a top dining city until now but maybe I am wrong.
I know Dallas has excellent restaurants and I never have a lack of options, but I need to dive deeper in Houston's scene
I like your posts, as a Dallasite you're very respectful to Houston and Houstonians. I like that.

When you go to Houston, try out the food there. There are 2 Chinatowns, 1 Little India, 2 Little Saigons, 1 Koreatown, 1 Asiatown, 1 Persian Haven, 1 Mejicano Barrio, and lots of other smaller ethnic enclaves with natural food choices in any ethnicity you can ask for.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
well, I never said Dallas doesn't have good restaurants. There are excellent restaurants there. A food city is known for food, not just a particular restaurant.
Probably every city in the US over 20K people has restaurants serving world class food.

Some cities are known because of their dominance in particular cuisines as NOLA does while others are known for their excellence across the board as NY, Chicago, Houston, Philly, SF etc is.

Again, never said you are lacking for options in Dallas, it was just odd that it was added and Houston was not when Houston is nationally ranked on the food scene and Dallas isn't. Houston has been more international longer but DFW has been doing well in terms of international population these past decades so soon maybe it will be more nationally known in terms of food scenes

Old 08-07-2011, 04:00 PM

317 posts, read 325,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yes I can imagine how horrifically awful it is. I have told you before that is why hate living in Austin. Its the little things like restaurants that I miss the most. Great place to spend a weekend you don't mind not remembering the details of, horrible place if you enjoy variety of options. Same goes for San Antonio.
One of my favorite cities but yes, there are only a handful of cities in the country that can give you an overall spectacular dining experience.

By dining I mean food across the board, all makes and models, all prices, and all atmospheres. Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington, Boston, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, and Atlanta excel on all fronts for variety of options and prices. Upscale choices straight to dirt cheap and tasty choices, thats what I'm talking about!

Unfortunately, that's one area that Austin has a ways to go, yes there is variety of options, but its very trashy to put in the best way I possibly can. BBQ, American, and Tex-Mex is still very good in Austin though. I would say those food choices are still very regional, not mainstream.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
One of my favorite cities but yes, there are only a handful of cities in the country that can give you an overall spectacular dining experience.

By dining I mean food across the board, all makes and models, all prices, and all atmospheres. Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington, Boston, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, and Atlanta excel on all fronts for variety of options and prices. Upscale choices straight to dirt cheap and tasty choices, thats what I'm talking about!

Unfortunately, that's one area that Austin has a ways to go, yes there is variety of options, but its very trashy to put in the best way I possibly can. BBQ, American, and Tex-Mex is still very good in Austin though. I would say those food choices are still very regional, not mainstream.
New Orleans doesn't offer anywhere near as many options as these cities you mentioned, but I could deal with it because there food is so devilishly good. And I love the Asian influenced Creole dishes and other mixes.

Austin needs better Asians options to start with. It can do without good Irish, or Italian restaurants, etc, but there is very little by way of exotic in Austin.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Philly just had its first annual Vendy awards. The food truck revolution is here as well.
Yes, its everywhere now. I began noticing that on my travels about 10 years ago. Truly good food for a terrific price--that is where we need to be imo.

SF was recently noted for the quality of its budget offerings by Michelin, the most prestigious restaurant rating guide in the world.

Michelin awards 3,2 and 1 stars to the best and most prestigious restaurants which are usually expensive.

But they also put out a bib-gourmand award that specifically names the best budget restaurants that they defiine as eateries that offer two courses and a glass of wine or dessert for $40 or less.

New York has 95 Bib Gourmand Restaurants
Michelin North America Newsroom (http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/MultiQuery.aspx?SiteName=michelin&Entity=PRAsset&S F_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=678723&XSL=Release&IncludeC hildren=True - broken link)

San Francisco has 74 Bib Gourmand Restaurants
Michelin North America Newsroom (http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/MultiQuery.aspx?SiteName=michelin&Entity=PRAsset&S F_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=691771&XSL=Release&IncludeC hildren=True - broken link)

Chicago has 46 Bib Gourmand Restaurants(*This was Chicago's first year included in the survey so Im sure next year will have many more)
Chicago among world's top dining cities as two restaurants receive three Michelin stars - Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelin Red Book 2011
The volume of Bib Gourmand restaurants in San Francisco makes the city a global leader in culinary value. No city of comparable size offers as many Bib Gourmands.
As far as their overall ranking, Michelin only does surveys for 3 North American Cities and here are the results of their findings:

Chicago 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 2( Alinea & L20)
2 Stars: 3( Avenues, Charlie Trotter's & Ria)
1 Star: 18
Bib Gourmand: 46
About.com: http://www.michelinguide.com/us/chicago_stars_2011.html

New York 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 5( Daniel, Jean Georges, Le Bernadin, Masa, Per Se)
2 Stars: 5( Alto, Brooklyn Fare, Kajitsu, Marea, Soto)
1 Star: 40
Bib Gourmand: 95
MICHELIN Guide NYC Stars 2011

San Francisco 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 2( The French Laundry, Meadowood)
2 Stars: 3( Coi, Cyrus, Manresa)
1 Star: 37
Bib Gourmand: 74
The Guide

Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Leaving Philly off the list doesn't make sense... and not just to a biased Philly resident. Any reasonable amount of research will show that Philly should be in your list. Where it ranks, that's up to you but leaving it off the list makes no sense. I love BBQ but that's not the only reason Dallas was on the list, and it could have been Houston from what I'm reading. I wanted to include Texas, don;t make me regret it. Philly does Italian so well, you gotta give it a nod... and if cheap eats are a plus then how can the BYO capital of the USA be ignored?

Quote:

Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM

That's cool, about the bib gourmands. I'm always impressed when I can get it done for $50 or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, its everywhere now. I began noticing that on my travels about 10 years ago. Truly good food for a terrific price--that is where we need to be imo.

SF was recently noted for the quality of its budget offerings by Michelin, the most prestigious restaurant rating guide in the world.

Michelin awards 3,2 and 1 stars to the best and most prestigious restaurants which are usually expensive.

But they also put out a bib-gourmand award that specifically names the best budget restaurants that they defiine as eateries that offer two courses and a glass of wine or dessert for $40 or less.

New York has 95 Bib Gourmand Restaurants
Michelin North America Newsroom (http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/MultiQuery.aspx?SiteName=michelin&Entity=PRAsset&S F_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=678723&XSL=Release&IncludeC hildren=True - broken link)

San Francisco has 74 Bib Gourmand Restaurants
Michelin North America Newsroom (http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/MultiQuery.aspx?SiteName=michelin&Entity=PRAsset&S F_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=691771&XSL=Release&IncludeC hildren=True - broken link)

Chicago has 46 Bib Gourmand Restaurants(*This was Chicago's first year included in the survey so Im sure next year will have many more)
Chicago among world's top dining cities as two restaurants receive three Michelin stars - Telegraph

As far as their overall ranking, Michelin only does surveys for 3 North American Cities and here are the results of their findings:

Chicago 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 2( Alinea & L20)
2 Stars: 3( Avenues, Charlie Trotter's & Ria)
1 Star: 18
Bib Gourmand: 46
About.com: http://www.michelinguide.com/us/chicago_stars_2011.html

New York 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 5( Daniel, Jean Georges, Le Bernadin, Masa, Per Se)
2 Stars: 5( Alto, Brooklyn Fare, Kajitsu, Marea, Soto)
1 Star: 40
Bib Gourmand: 95
MICHELIN Guide NYC Stars 2011

San Francisco 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 2( The French Laundry, Meadowood)
2 Stars: 3( Coi, Cyrus, Manresa)
1 Star: 37
Bib Gourmand: 74
The Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or