U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM

317 posts, read 325,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Leaving Philly off the list doesn't make sense... and not just to a biased Philly resident. Any reasonable amount of research will show that Philly should be in your list. Where it ranks, that's up to you but leaving it off the list makes no sense. I love BBQ but that's not the only reason Dallas was on the list, and it could have been Houston from what I'm reading. I wanted to include Texas, don;t make me regret it. Philly does Italian so well, you gotta give it a nod... and if cheap eats are a plus then how can the BYO capital of the USA be ignored?
Chill out bro, its just the internet.

In my defense, I have no beef with Philadelphia or its food. I just meant to imply that of course the best dining scene or scenes in the country obviously belong to the largest metro areas for variety and diversity and even regional like cuisines. Of which, yes that also includes Philadelphia, Minneapolis, and also Seattle. I just don't know Philadelphia (or Minneapolis or Seattle) on a standard basis to tell you much about its food scene. It was implied, but I just don't go off trying to make myself seem idiotic talking about places I don't know or haven't experienced enough of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,862,392 times
Quote:
Dallas has killer BBQ
The best BBQ in Texas is generally in the central part of the state, not Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But the best Texas bbq is in the hill country. It not only has the best bbq, but the beat bbq scene, atmosphere, and culture that Texas has to offer.
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think there is better variety in Houston and would offer it as a choice long before Dallas.
I agree. Dallas is known for having a few of the high-priced hoity-toity places, but as far as overall food scene and variety, Houston is superior (not just according to me, but several publications that rank restaurant cities.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
I have days where I instantly crave a certain food and thats all I would ever want to eat that day, eating anything else is just rubbish, its one of those type of days where I would wish a city like Austin would have more food choices amongst varied ethnicities.
Austin is underrated on traffic and overrated on food, among other things. Moving from Austin to Houston, I was blown away at how much better the restaurant scene was.

Quote:
Can you believe Chinatown in Austin is the same size as the Chinese strip center in Sugar Land, TX? You cant imagine how horrifically awful ethnic food is in Austin, yes it has Thai, Chinese, whatever but it has neither the quantity nor the quality. Its just good enough to "get you by the way".
No, I can believe it. But there's more than just one strip center in Sugar Land, and some of the best ethnic places are the hole-in-wall places rather than what's in one of the nice strip centers in an MPC. Sugar Land has several great places, and is even starting to attract second locations of a few Houston originals (not just Asian either.)

Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,245,919 times
I'm really just kidding. Since I know so little about the Texas food scene, this article has been enlightening. All I knew was that some restaurants in Dallas have a good rep, and that in Texas BBQ is taken very seriously. There's a Texas-style BBQ joint near my house - Percy St. BBQ - pales compared to the real thing but I suspect I eat there more often than anywhere else in Philly. I've been curious about Houston for some time, it being a city of almost the exact same size as Philadelphia, and I like Texas.

Quote:
Chill out bro, its just the internet.

In my defense, I have no beef with Philadelphia or its food. I just meant to imply that of course the best dining scene or scenes in the country obviously belong to the largest metro areas for variety and diversity and even regional like cuisines. Of which, yes that also includes Philadelphia, Minneapolis, and also Seattle. I just don't know Philadelphia (or Minneapolis or Seattle) on a standard basis to tell you much about its food scene. It was implied, but I just don't go off trying to make myself seem idiotic talking about places I don't know or haven't experienced enough of.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-07-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Quote:
I'm really just kidding. Since I know so little about the Texas food scene, this article has been enlightening. All I knew was that some restaurants in Dallas have a good rep, and that BBQ is taken very seriously. There's a Texas-style BBQ joint near my house - Percy St. BBQ - pales compared to the real thing but I suspect I eat there more often than anywhere else in Philly. I've been curious about Houston for some time, it being a city of almost the exact same size as Philadelphia, and I like Texas.
You know that TEXAS takes it bbq seriously, not just Dallas right? Just letting ya know

Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,841,678 times
Just had to leave Atlanta out.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/1188401-city-vs-city-dining-scene-2010-a.html

Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM

I meant to write... 'in Texas'. Edited. Yes I know, if I was that ignorant I wouldn't have touched upon the subject at all, I mean c'mon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You know that TEXAS takes it bbq seriously, not just Dallas right? Just letting ya know

Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Dead link. I wanted a list of 10, Atlanta didn't come to mind. Sorry 'bout that, nothing personal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post

Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Quote:
I meant to write... 'in Texas'. Edited. Yes I know, if I was that ignorant I wouldn't have touched upon the subject at all, I mean c'mon.
well I dunno what you know (seeing how you included Dallas and Not the better food city it wasn't a bad assumption on my part )

anyway like I said, just letting you know

Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM

317 posts, read 325,470 times
Quote:
I'm really just kidding.
Thanks for understanding. You'll notice in various posts that I create that I will often not talk about Philadelphia, maybe sometimes even when the thread is about it. Its mostly because I am inexperienced there and have only been for two very short visits before and wouldn't want to talk about a place like I know it off of those stint visits.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Now I know, and you know what they say about knowing...

Quote:
Thanks for understanding. You'll notice in various posts that I create that I will often not talk about Philadelphia, maybe sometimes even when the thread is about it. Its mostly because I am inexperienced there and have only been for two very short visits before and wouldn't want to talk about a place like I know it off of those stint visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or