Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,340 times

Advertisements

OK we know New York has the top reputation and San Francisco also rides high when it comes to culinary delights. Chicago remains a player, and Philly is the new kid. L.A. will always have enough money to compete, and New Orleans remains a treat. Dallas has killer BBQ and Miami has a unique sense of style, while Boston does seafood right. D.C. may have lots of formal dining, but does it rank?

I want to know, which city has the most vibrant food/restaurant scene as of summer 2011.

As a point of reference, Zagat.com runs blogs for Boston, Chicago, DC, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia and San Francisco - www.zagat.com/buzz

Last edited by Dub King; 08-07-2011 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:12 AM

I'm kicking it off by voting for the home team - Philly. Here's my argument, made for me by Food and Wine magazine. Also a good set of criteria for judging the other cities.

What Defines a Great Food City? | Food & Wine

Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,493,118 times
Umm... NYC.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,880,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Umm... NYC.

And SF and Chicago

After there are bunch of pretty good ones

Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 AM

588 posts, read 1,318,884 times
All are unique. I voted for San Francisco however it is not limited to just SF, but the Bay Area. Their cuisine is extrordinary. Portland, OR has a very up and coming food scene.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 AM

The other day a (very talented) chef here is Philly presented his view to me: NY has 50 restaurants Philly cannot touch. San Francisco, 10 Philly cannot touch. Chicago, 5 Philly cannot touch. He puts Philly 4'th, but he was really critical of Stephen Starr which might explain the starkness of his statement. I think Vetri is likely the best Italian restaurant in the whole country, that's a good start. Morimoto Philly was the original, and remains the site of one of the most decadent dinners I have ever had, anywhere. Philly cannot touch NY or SF for French cuisine (well, what Fountain used to be could compete, but no more... same for Le Bec Fin), nor can it compete at the very highest level of Steaks but other types of cuisine fare better especially 'American' cuisine and Italian, and there are great examples in many other categories.

The 2011 Philly Mag 50: Philadelphia's Best Restaurants

Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,493,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
The other day a (very talented) chef here is Philly presented his view to me: NY has 50 restaurants Philly cannot touch. San Francisco, 10 Philly cannot touch. Chicago, 5 Philly cannot touch. He puts Philly 4'th, but he was really critical of Stephen Starr which might explain the starkness of his statement. I think Vetri is likely the best Italian restaurant in the whole country, that's a good start. Morimoto Philly was the original, and remains the site of one of the most decadent dinners I have ever had, anywhere. Philly cannot touch NY or SF for French cuisine (well, what Fountain used to be could compete, but no more... same for Le Bec Fin), nor can it compete at the very highest level of Steaks but other types of cuisine fare better especially 'American' cuisine and Italian, and there are great examples in many other categories.

The 2011 Philly Mag 50: Philadelphia's Best Restaurants
Good analogy, but I'd say those #'s are actually higher. I've done my fair share of eating out in all 3 of those. I'd still have to put LA solidly over Philly as well.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 AM

When was the last time you ate out in Philly? The last two years alone have made a huge difference, and of course you do need to know where to go, any old restaurant will not do, not in any city. FWIW my wife writes for Zagat and I'm quite immersed in the whole food debate. I am a traveling architectural photographer and I've been to most major American cities, and I make a point of dining out. My personal feeling is that Philly is creeping up on Chicago for the rank of #3 after NY and SF. The last few years have been exceptional for Philly, and it's no fluke... it's the future.

I know it's a silly distinction, but there are two Iron Chefs out of Philly now. I don't agree with the assessment that Philly is behind. I thought I'd share what the chef said, but it is an exaggeration, not an understatement... and plenty of other informed critics don't agree with that assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Good analogy, but I'd say those #'s are actually higher. I've done my fair share of eating out in all 3 of those. I'd still have to put LA solidly over Philly as well.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,466,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I'm kicking it off by voting for the home team - Philly. Here's my argument, made for me by Food and Wine magazine. Also a good set of criteria for judging the other cities.

What Defines a Great Food City? | Food & Wine
I like this article and largely agree but imo another extremely important criteria that defines a great food city is Exceptional Food at Any Budget Level.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 AM

I really have to second that one. Chinese food in SF is mind-blowing. Pastrami in Manhattan, equally ethereal. Philly Cheese Steaks, not quite on the same level but famous. Any city that has good slices in abundance is a great city. Mexican foo in L.A., mmmm. My only disappointment in the cheap food category was Chicago hot dogs, I guess I like my Nathan's or Sabrette, with natural casing.

Philly has byzantine liquor laws that created an unusually large and high-quality collection of BYO restaurants. That's a high point of the city but they are all tiny places. Little Fish comes to mind when I think of a budget, top quality meal.

I will also nominate Philly for best burger, seriously. I did a burger roundup and never in my life have I had such great examples of the sandwich. The ultimate? The 1/2 pound 'Supper Burger' Supper Philly Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I like this article and largely agree but imo another extremely important criteria that defines a great food city is Exceptional Food at Any Budget Level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City