Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM

107 posts, read 125,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Lol, a real Chicago hot dog is supposed to have natural casing(Vienna beef).
Vienna Beef is such a joke, their Polish Sausage tastes like toilet paper compared to actuall sausages made by Polish or German butchers. Lol

When Chicago was the butcher to the world there were not that many places in the country where you could get fresher and better steaks, sausages and other meats but since it's no longer in that function, Chicago's culinary fame is based more on history than current quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Why am I seeing Dallas and BBQ together?? lol
The best BBQ in Texas to be found is in Central/Hill Country Texas.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
NYC/Chicago/SF top three.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:38 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Well, did I make a mistake going to Hot Doug's? Where should I go next time. I thought the Vienna Beef dog was inferior, ruined the experience. I had a Chicago dog made here in Philly with Sabrettes, so much better. I do like the classic Chicago condiments though.

Quote:
Lol, a real Chicago hot dog is supposed to have natural casing(Vienna beef).

Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 PM

717 posts, read 898,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Why am I seeing Dallas and BBQ together?? lol
The best BBQ in Texas to be found is in Central/Hill Country Texas.
Texas beef barbecue maybe. But the best southern barbecue is in eastern Texas

Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
The only thing that sucks about San Francisco/Oakland's dining scene is trying to decide where to go for dinner.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Wow. Someone just showed their ignorance about New Orleans
Ignorance? What one person thinks is a high quality dining scene another person dislikes. This is called an opinion, which I'm entitled to.

Quote:
Sweet tea in New Orleans? Haha, where? Maybe at Popeye's... No need to speak ignorantly just to prove a point...stick with what you know.
Yes, I said sweet tea in New Orleans. Also, sticking to "what you know" was done because I have visited the city of New Orleans more than once and disliked their food every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Well, did I make a mistake going to Hot Doug's? Where should I go next time. I thought the Vienna Beef dog was inferior, ruined the experience. I had a Chicago dog made here in Philly with Sabrettes, so much better. I do like the classic Chicago condiments though.
Hot Doug's in Chicago is a tourist trap and overpriced. Did you go there just because you saw the restaurant being advertised on the Travel Channel?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
For the kind of regional cuisine that I like, plus great gourmet and world cuisine, Houston is the best in the nation

Everything I love is in H-town. Barbecue, tex-mex, soul food, cajun, Chinese
I agree. I think there is better variety in Houston and would offer it as a choice long before Dallas. Seriously?? what's up with these resent polls not including Houston but include Dallas which then ends up with very zero votes. Dallas is not known as a food city, Houston is.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The only thing that sucks about San Francisco/Oakland's dining scene is trying to decide where to go for dinner.
True that.

I guess I can give some insight into the Los Angeles foodie scene. I haven't eaten extensively in enough cities to give a worthy commentary, and the other two cities I have were covered already in this thread.

Los Angeles is a GREAT city for cheap eats, or meals for below $10. Honestly, food is probably one of the only cheap things someone can do in Los Angeles on a daily basis. Due to the preponderance of lower income immigrants here, and a real lack of a true yuppie culture, you can find great food for a cheap price almost everywhere in the LA area. If you want a great hamburger that's not from a chain, if you want a great burrito from a nice hole in the wall, if you want some really awesome dim sum, if you want some mindblowing Korean BBQ, if you want a great chicken or falafel shawarma, you can find all these things for under $10 (usually, if you really know how to look, you can find the best ones for under $7).

Now here's where I think Los Angeles falls really short: higher end options. It's actually somewhat difficult to find a great restaurant that has the right combination of good food and great ambiance rolled into one, for places that charge $15+/plate. I don't really eat at these places often, but when I do, I feel like I got cheated out of money because there was something always missing. I feel like LA in this regard leaves something to be desired.

Again, this could be because of the lack of a real yuppie culture vs. NYC, SF, or even Chicago.

Just my two, increasingly worthless cents.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Texas beef barbecue maybe. But the best southern barbecue is in eastern Texas
I guess. But the best Texas bbq is in the hill country. It not only has the best bbq, but the beat bbq scene, atmosphere, and culture that Texas has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City