Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times

Advertisements

I have always been a huge fan of downtown ballparks and still prefer them over some of the more non-downtown locations.

We hit about six parks a year for actual games, but I have been to them all except the new target field in Minneapolis (it was under construction last time I was there).

One thing I can’t help but notice is that downtown parks just don’t seem to really generate a lot of economic development around them at all and more often than not, areas around stadiums (for many blocks) are some of the deadest areas of an entire downtown area unless it’s before or after a ballgame and then it’s just a mad rush to or from cars or transit stations.

Sometimes I wonder if downtowns might be better off without such large dead spaces that are sporadically used and create huge demand for parking during games while sort of scaring everybody else off (people want to avoid the traffic and parking issues when games are going on).

People will say Denver and San Diego and San Francisco have growing gentrifying urban neighborhoods around them, but those areas (LoDo, Gaslight etc) were flourishing before the ballparks went in.

You look at Cleveland, Houston, St Louis, Seattle, Baltimore, St Pete, Phoenix etc and you just don’t see a lot of eco development around the parks even after years (or even decades) of the parks being downtown.

It certainly seems to have little to do with attendance. Cleveland, Pittsburgh etc have beautiful downtown parks that get some of the league’s smallest crowds while places like Milwaukee and Philly and Anaheim draw huge crowds to stadiums surrounded by parking lots.

Should Dodgers stadium be in Downtown LA? (and no Dodgers stadium may as well be 15 miles from downtown the way it is now)
Should Kauffman Stadium in KC be in downtown KC? Would it really do anything but just make people keep parking lots from being developed?
Texas rangers?

What has happened around Baltimore’s stadium? Not much really. Most of the new development in downtown Baltimore is on the other side of downtown or the other side of the harbor.

DC’s stadium is basically part of a heavily subsidized master planned community, so that really doesn’t count and Fenway and Wrigley are unique situations.

So what do you think? Do downtown ballparks really help a downtown all that much??? Which cities do you think they have had the most impact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Minute Maid Park in Houston sure doesn't have too much going on around it, one side borders US 59. Not a baseball fan though, can't comment on other parks.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Minute Maid Park in Houston sure doesn't have too much going on around it, one side borders US 59. Not a baseball fan though, can't comment on other parks.
I read an article on this. It has to do with the streetfronts in the area. Most buildings either have a solid wall or a parking garage facing the street fronts in that area. Since there is noting to go into, there is no reason for people to be there and thus no reason for activity.

would you go around looking at walls or cars???

They suggested street level stores and restaurants to increase activity. Otherwise people would drive to the park, catch a game and just drive home.

They also said that the only thing that spurred activity in the area was the park.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I read an article on this. It has to do with the streetfronts in the area. Most buildings either have a solid wall or a parking garage facing the street fronts in that area. Since there is noting to go into, there is no reason for people to be there and thus no reason for activity.

would you go around looking at walls or cars???

They suggested street level stores and restaurants to increase activity. Otherwise people would drive to the park, catch a game and just drive home.

They also said that the only thing that spurred activity in the area was the park.
There is some of that, but there is also a decent amount of retail with usable fronts. A much more thought out sports complex would have made more sense.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:06 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
The new taxpayer-funded stadiums in Cincinnati did nothing to the neighboring areas. Actually, they caused other establishments to be torn down - like the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant. Stupid.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Seems like Pittsburghs has been a good fit in their DT and amazing views. Wish Philly's was downtown but it at least looks like the area may be getting better where the stadium is. This is under construction and there is discussion of some additional residential/reatial/commercial in the area. Will see how Philly live does.

[IMG]http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/20101122_dn_Z1NPXLIVE22C.jpg[/IMG]
Spectrum replacement Philly Live! is scaled back - Philly.com

Philly Live!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM

345 posts, read 833,098 times
I know that downtown Minneapolis was pretty lively and happening before Target Field, but I think it just added on to the liveliness. Obviously the bars have more people at night and the streets of Minneapolis before and after are packed with Twins fans. Not only did it kinda help downtown, it helped the whole area. The Warehouse District in Minneapolis is happening again because of it and Target Field is going to be the hub of transportation in the Twin Cities, it is the end point for all existing and future light rail and commuter rail projects.

Although it looks great and feels right in Minneapolis, it would have helped St. Paul so much more. Downtown St. Paul needs something to spice it up and bring tourists/fans/other things stadiums bring. I think it would have put St. Paul on the map more and not get overloked as mch as it does being that it is so close to Minneapolis, the culture and vibrancy hub.

As for St. Louis, absolutely yes. St. Louis is on tis way to having a great and happening and vibrant downtown again. I know that the Cardinals were already there but people get excited about new things. City Gardens and that whole area between Market and Chestnut leading up to the Old Courthouse has really turned into a nice park/play area for kids/a fun experience for the adults. I'm not saying that because of the Cardinals that that happened, but if you're in downtown anywhere you want mre stuff to do before and after games. St. Louis has that, whereas Minneapolis still needs to work on that.

I know that voters turned the KC downtown ballpark down. It would have helped so much with the downtown facelift and continuing the urban core growth. It would have made light rail a must and would give so many businesses business (Power and Light, Crown Center).

Old 08-07-2011, 02:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Actually, a lot of development has gone on around AT&T park. Lots of new commercial and residential buildings are attracting a ton of young post-college porfessionals.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Seems like Pittsburghs has been a good fit in their DT and amazing views. Wish Philly's was downtown but it at least looks like the area may be getting better where the stadium is. This is under construction and there is discussion of some additional residential/reatial/commercial in the area. Will see how Philly live does.

Spectrum replacement Philly Live! is scaled back - Philly.com

Philly Live!
I wish they wouldn't name it Philly Live though...it makes it sound like a direct rip off of LA Live.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:02 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I wish they wouldn't name it Philly Live though...it makes it sound like a direct rip off of LA Live.
There's a lot of places with the "Enter city here..Live" its not exclusive to LA. Baltimore even has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City