Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most ethnically diverse?
Chicago Area 29 22.31%
DC Area 26 20.00%
Boston Area 11 8.46%
Bay Area 64 49.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The Bay Area is not diverse like people on here make it out to be.
The Bay Area is the most diverse of the bunch.

Quote:
SF is devoid of black culture.
Not true at all.

Why don't you try actually looking up some statistics next time instead of making things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 PM

605 posts, read 1,164,951 times
Quote:
The Bay Area is not diverse like people on here make it out to be. SF is devoid of black culture. I've hears that there are hardly West Indians or Caribbean Hispanics.
San Francisco is not devoid of black culture, go there and you would see. Not to mention it says Bay Area which includes Oakland, a major African-American cultural center.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,366 times
SF Bay

[Drop]

DC area

[Drop]

Chicago area

[Drop]

Boston area

All feel diverse because they are big cities and offer that but this is how they feel to me if I had to place the 4 together

Old 04-06-2012, 05:02 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,804 times
Im a take a wild guess and say the Bay Area.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM

592 posts, read 827,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteriousRegion View Post

That's just MARYLAND. Yeah...Bay Area has nothing on DC, except less White people.
Dude, San Jose alone has more people than all the little town you just posted combined. In fact Oakland might have more people than every town you mentioned! The largest town you posted had a population of 75,000- while most had around 15-30,000. Several of the cities posted by Bay Area boosters had 100,000+

Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 PM

410 posts, read 633,390 times
Metro wise, its between DC and the Bay Area. Its hard for me to decide between the two.

For cities, I'd say its between Chicago and San Francisco. Percentage wise, I could see this going to Chicago, considering no one race seems to have a considerable share of the population over the other for the largest racial group in the city. However, Chicago is significantly more homogeneous going from neighborhood to neighborhood, while Chicago is a diverse city, it is very geographically divided by race. But that will probably change within the next 20 years. This is not the case in all neighborhoods of course, as there are several immediately west of the Kennedy Expressway, the far north lakefront, and then theres a few on the south side (i.e. Bridgeport, Hyde Park) that are melting pots.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
I voted for the DC area. Why? Because I see a mix of every race/ethnicity in the world, and no one race dominates. If the overall criteria is the least white and the most Asians and Mexicans, then the Bay Area and LA takes the cake.

However, just because the Bay Area is dominated by Asians, and it's the least white, and the diversity scales display whites as the least on the scale doesn't necessarily make it the most diverse. If your criteria or definition of diversity means the least white and the most Asians, and Mexicans then yes the Bay Area is the most diverse.

But what about all the African countries? What about all the other white races who are from overseas and aren't redneck? The DC Area dominates in that regard. What about Europeans? What about Arabs? One of the largest populations of Arabs are in the DC Area. Guess what: Arabs are counted as white.

I wonder when the latest census stats on race/ethnicity will be available? I'd be curious what it looks like versus 18Montclair's 1980 stats when California was the dreamland for immigrants and cost of living was much more affordable and jobs were fluent. Granted those immigrants relocated to the outskirts of the Bay Area, a lot of them left for better pastures.

I admit that DC city proper isn't that diverse. But that is such a small piece of the DC Area. The DC Area (Nova Suburbs & Maryland Suburbs) from a personal view is one of the most diverse areas in the country.

From a scale perspective of the least white, as that is the meaning of diversity is for most West Coasters, then the metro areas listed are:

1. Bay Area
2. DC Area
3. Chicago Area
4. Boston Area

I just moved to Arlington. Incredibly diverse. And the food? Afghani, Ethiopian, Pakistani, and tons of others. It's incredible. Not one race dominates, imo.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
I'm sorry but for the 2nd most diverse city in the U>S after New York is between Houston and Bay Area, and if you do it by MSA's it is Houston, DMV, SanFran MSA, Chicago, SanJose MSA, Boston. IMO.

As someone living in Texas to be honest San Fran posters have actually giving statistics that prove the Bay Area (As a whole ) is more diverse, The only thing DMV really beats Bay Area in is Africans-(Nigerians, Ethiopians etc. and maybe South Asians and Southwest Asians (Middle East). Also the diversity of the hispanics in the DMV might be more than Bay Area.
A user posted this earlier-
1 Queens, NY- Probably still #1
2 Alameda, CA(Oakland)-FB might be higher
3 Kings, NY(Brooklyn)- FB might be higher
4 Robeson, NC- Native Americans
5 Fort Bend, TX(Suburban Houston)- I live here, It is probably higher since the population doubled from around 350,000 to 700,000 now in 2015, (One of the fastest growing counties in the U.S)
6 Hudson, NJ
7 New York, NY(Manhattan)
8 Harris, TX
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA(San Jose)
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ(Newark)
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA
Using counties is a little unfair to places with say large county sizes or relatively small county sizes so it probably discredits a few areas, but Washington is probably not on this list as many have pointed out it is a mostly Black and White city/states. So the black and white people probably outweigh the other groups. Unlike the bay area which is an Asian/White/Hispanic area with even large black cultural centers like Oakland.
Out of these I would rank
Another thing is the Ethnic groups that these other areas have like African/European are so small that they don't even matter.

Bay Area
DMV
Chicago
Boston
This is my take from looking at the thread so far.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,953,673 times
^ Fort Bend County is now the third most diverse county in the United States, behind only Queens County, New York and Alameda County, California (East Bay) and looks poised to continue moving on up.

I think the Washington D.C. area's diversity is pretty underrated. Look, in a few years the DMV area will be able to boost 1 million African Americans (already has it), 1 million whites (already has it), 1 million Latinos/Hispanic people (by CSA has it, by MSA will have it by 2020), and 1 million Asians (around 2025 with current trends). For as racially balanced as it is, it is also ethnically balanced too within its "white" population, within its "Black" population, and within its "Asian" population.

Only New York and Los Angeles have that effect working for them.

In addition to the 1 millions and up, the DMV area ALREADY exceeds 10% for all four racial (White, Black, Asian) or Ethnic (Hispanic and/or Latino) groups. That is something only New York can claim, that is it.

As for this thread, it goes like this:

1. Washington DC-Baltimore metropolitan area/San Francisco Bay Area
2. San Francisco Bay Area/Washington DC-Baltimore metropolitan area
3. Chicago
4. Boston

Old 07-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
The Washington suburbs are made up of many smaller suburban nodes/towns that honestly are smaller in population to compare to other cities suburbs. It's hard to compare DC's suburban counties as a whole on diversity. The diversity happens in each specific suburban town that in many cases will have lots of diversity in its own little area. Annandale, VA or Germantown, MD are as diverse as any suburb you'll find in the country they just have smaller populations. In this area you'll see towns like that which will both be situated adjacent or surrounded by equally diverse small suburban towns. Fairfax County and Montgomery County however both 1 million+ counties percentage wise will not rank with those counties mention on the whole because of their make up but I assure you are equally and in some places more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City