U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 AM

1,134 posts, read 855,330 times

Advertisements

Let me be the first to say that L. A.'s city center 1 is an area that is in revival right now, but it still hasn't achieved the critical mass that it had in the 20's, 30's and 40's. That's all going to change in the next few years. You won't have downtown L. A. to kick arond anymore. Still, right now, not so much. Downtown Las Vegas was absolutely killed by the Fremont Street Experience. Wonderful video canopy, but it should be razed and turned into Fremont Street again. For cruising.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 AM

2,153 posts, read 4,897,227 times
St. Louis, hands down.

Anyone who lives here knows how much a city of suburbs this place is.

Though, I guess it depends on what you were going for with large city, whether STL qualifies or not. I am assuming you are just meaning a major city, and not only qualifying the large cities like Chicago, Houston, LA, NY, Miam etc...

Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 AM

66 posts, read 355,726 times
My vote is for hartford CT, drove around one Saturday while visiting some friends, it was a ghost-town.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Phoenix, Tucson and Boise.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,039,394 times
I'll second St. Louis. Horrible downtown in a horrible city

Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 AM

242 posts, read 678,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I have to vouch for Downtown Pittsburgh. While I attended college there, I actually went downtown one Saturday afternoon. The walkway was sparse of people, the low traffic that existed involved cars going through downtown, and there was a plaza that had a Saks Fifth Avenue (possibly the only one in the metropolitan area)...and it was closed! Talk about rust belt cities. At least during the Mon-Fri 9-5 day, it had some life in it.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I stayed in downtown Pittsburgh about 2 years ago and decided to go out to dinner around 9 PM on a Thursday. Too bad NOTHING was open. I even stopped at a gas station and asked for recommendations, and every recommended restaurant was closed or closing. It's also weird to drive around a major city in the evening and see virtually no one on the streets... Sorry Pittsburgh Your downtown is kind of a ghost town.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,568,471 times
Los Angeles:
Considering LA is the 2nd largest city in the US, it certainly doesn't have a good downtown.

Phoenix:
This place looks like downtown Syracuse. And where is everybody?

Las Vegas:
I don't really consider this a city. But with the Crown Las Vegas possibly going up, the skyline will be a lot better.

Last edited by Futcha; 08-14-2007 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-14-2007, 09:46 AM

304 posts, read 1,280,068 times
I would say Houston, at least when I was living there in the late 90s. Everyone seemed to evacuate the area after the work day was done. Whenever I would go downtown on the weekends, the place seemed oddly empty for a city of that size. Maybe Houston has made a change for the better since then.

Steve-o, I agree with you regarding Phoenix, but I'll have to respectfully disagree regarding Boise. One of the things that impressed me with Boise when I moved there in 2000 was the fact that there was so much activity in the downtown area after hours--a lot of foot traffic. I may not be a personal fan of Dirk Kempthorne, but when he was mayor of Boise he did a great job revitalizing the downtown area. There always seemed to be something going on downtown after work and on the weekends....not just for adults either. There are family friendly events going on too. There are some pretty good restaurants along 8th Street Marketplace, and Julia Davis Park with the greenbelt/Boise River access is right along the southern edge of the downtown. From what I understand from the Boise natives, the downtown has made such a big change from what it was 20 years ago.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,866,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
I would say Houston, at least when I was living there in the late 90s. Everyone seemed to evacuate the area after the work day was done. Whenever I would go downtown on the weekends, the place seemed oddly empty for a city of that size. Maybe Houston has made a change for the better since then.
It has. During the day on weekends it's still kind of dead downtown (unless there's a sporting event), but once 7-8pm hits that all changes, and it's busy until 2am.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:16 PM

1,134 posts, read 855,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Los Angeles:
Considering LA is the 2nd largest city in the US, it certainly doesn't have a good downtown.

Phoenix:
This place looks like downtown Syracuse. And where is everybody?

Las Vegas:
I don't really consider this a city. But with the Crown Las Vegas possibly going up, the skyline will be a lot better.
L. A. has a good downtown, the developement there is quite beautiful. It just doesn't have a downtown area comparable to the expanse of the rest of the city area as a whole. Las Vegas is a city. It's the world leader in it's field by far, and New York doesn't have an answer for it, so, you should consider it. Blows your nightlife all to hell, and isn't that what's important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or