U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2007, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Henderson NV
1,134 posts, read 855,757 times
Reputation: 82

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sure some of the casinos are nice, but theyre just facades, replicas of something that is somewhere else in the world, all mishmashed together. Fremont (old Fremont) is decent, but new Vegas sucks worse than a $3 hooker, of which there are plenty in that nasty city. Vegas is a giant version of a bug-zapper. Flick on pretty lights at night and watch the humans congregate, get fat and wasted, then gamble away most of their dinero in a building that is in the middle of an oven-like desert that is built to look like its the NYC skyline, or a Egyptian pyramid, or a castle, or a Eiffel Tower. Vegas is, by far, the tackiest city on the planet.
Steve-o, dude! You can't dismiss me by saying I have a raging hatred for New York or anywhere else. I like to clean up crap where I see it and replace it with my-two-cents! Right now, it seems to me that most of the crap I come across is N.Y. crap. If you lived in Vegas, like I currently do, you'd know that the tackiest property on the strip IS the New York New York, and the only difference between Las Vegas and Chicago is that Chicago doesn't gamble. At least, not legally. All it does, as you have stated, is get fat and wasted. The Wynn doesn't look like anything! Neither does Caesar's Palace or The Bellagio, or will The Echelon or The Palazzo or The City Center, a project, by the way, that New York OR Chicago will have no answer for. Costs almost as much as the original budget for Boston's Big Dig, the most expensive privately funded construction in this country's history! You are right about one thing, Steve-o. Vegas is a giant bug zapper, currently the most popular. Don't tell me one of our 3 dollar hookers turned you down? They only do that if they absolutely have too.

 
Old 08-19-2007, 01:42 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,040,640 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You're not worth my time. You obviously don't know crap about St. Louis, I don't know why I even took the time to correct all of your misguided points. Indy's metro area is absolutely pathetic compared to St. Louis...St. Louis is a city that happens to spread out its activity in other areas besides its downtown. Here is stuff I can state that is NOT opinion...When Indy has stuff like Soulard, the Central West End, Forest Park, Midtown, Downtown Clayton, in addition to its downtown..then you can call St. Louis a horrible city. And for one, the city's state is not that bad. It's gaining population for the first time in years, and there are at least 13 new proposed high-rise buildings in and around downtown and many more throughout the entire metro...the Bottle District and the Ballpark Village, for starters. St. Louis is also considered one of the best cities for young professional workers by Forbes Magazine, and is the main headquarters of at least 9 major companies. Also, the St. Louis metro area has been stable and/or growing in population for years. St. Louis County is essentially by common sense the same as St. Louis. Detroit and Cleveland are cities people should be feeling more sorry for than St. Louis..they are losing population in both their city limits and metro areas, however I still think they are great cities. And the bad rap St. Louis gets about its crime has more to do with the fact that St. Louis City is very small in square mileage, therefore skewing statistics...the metro as a whole is not dangerous at all..didn't even make the most dangerous metros in the U.S.
Glad I struck a nerve with you homie--anytime!
 
Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 5,935,279 times
Reputation: 1815
Atlanta, as mentioned before, has a horribly boring downtown area. There used to be a Macy's near Peachtree Center, but no more. Now it's just some boring corporate mess.

Phoenix probably has the most boring downtown of any major city. It's small so you would never believe that Phoenix is the 5th most populous city in the U.S.
 
Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 AM
 
1,953 posts, read 2,570,265 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Excuse me, I for one happen to know and think St. Louis has as big a downtown as any other city in the Midwest besides Detroit, Chicago, or the Twin Cities, and as impressive a skyline as most in the Midwest...and a horrible city? Please think before you speak. Especially if you are talking about its metro area. Indianapolis, assuming that is where you are from, while it may have a nicer downtown than St. Louis is a bland city on the most boring landscape known to mankind which is not at all impressive in the size of its metro area, and most of its activities are focused solely on its downtown. I would NEVER live in Indianapolis. If you're going to call a city horrible, give reasons. St. Louis makes Indianapolis look like a small town....I always like to think of it as that city you just pass through on the way to a bigger one. Indianapolis does not have anything like the Hill, Central West End, or Midtown. All it has is the stuff downtown. That's it.
I would really like to visit St. Louis someday. I've only "visit" via the net, esp msn.com Live's "birdseye view" (and it doesn't even cover all of St. Louis). I heard St. Louis is kind of like Cleveland but with a bit more history and Southern-fried flavor.
 
Old 08-19-2007, 12:22 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,611,259 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I would really like to visit St. Louis someday. I've only "visit" via the net, esp msn.com Live's "birdseye view" (and it doesn't even cover all of St. Louis). I heard St. Louis is kind of like Cleveland but with a bit more history and Southern-fried flavor.
kinda yea....St. Louis, like Cleveland, is a Midwestern city with a great deal of major companies located there, water commerce is a major role in St. Louis, and obviously it is located farther south than Cleveland....I have relatives in both cities and other than the weather they really are very similar to each other. St. Louis I always thought of as kind of like a mixture of Cincinnati and Cleveland. For one, St. Louis' summers are much worse than Cleveland's, but we get a lot less snow than Cleveland in the winter too. Both St. Louis and Cleveland are rustbelt cities which experienced major declines in the mid-20th century. However, St. Louis is doing better overall than Cleveland right now...it is gaining or remaining stable in population...Cleveland continues to lose population every year. I would say Cleveland is like a mixture of Detroit and St. Louis. I also think St. Louis is a lot more rich in culture and history than Cleveland is.
 
Old 08-19-2007, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
2,368 posts, read 6,654,490 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
kinda yea....St. Louis, like Cleveland, is a Midwestern city with a great deal of major companies located there, water commerce is a major role in St. Louis, and obviously it is located farther south than Cleveland....I have relatives in both cities and other than the weather they really are very similar to each other. St. Louis I always thought of as kind of like a mixture of Cincinnati and Cleveland. For one, St. Louis' summers are much worse than Cleveland's, but we get a lot less snow than Cleveland in the winter too. Both St. Louis and Cleveland are rustbelt cities which experienced major declines in the mid-20th century. However, St. Louis is doing better overall than Cleveland right now...it is gaining or remaining stable in population...Cleveland continues to lose population every year. I would say Cleveland is like a mixture of Detroit and St. Louis. I also think St. Louis is a lot more rich in culture and history than Cleveland is.
Cleveland is a little bit more diverse than St. Louis.They have about the same percentage of black and white residents,but Cleveland has more of a Hispanic presence,it may have a larger Asian presence too.As for St. Louis doing better economically than Cleveland I agree.I still feel other than the architecture Cleveland is more of a Northeastern city.There is alot of people from Western Pennsylvania in the Northeast Ohio area.Plus the climate is much more comparable to the Northeast.Cleveland is similar to Buffalo if you ask me.But as for there downtowns,I've only been to Clevelands,and I really like it.As for thier skylines,I take Cleveland over St. Louis,just because thier about the same size,and Cleveland has the taller buildings.Actually at one point in time the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the world outside of New York City and Chicago.
 
Old 08-19-2007, 03:36 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,611,259 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Cleveland is a little bit more diverse than St. Louis.They have about the same percentage of black and white residents,but Cleveland has more of a Hispanic presence,it may have a larger Asian presence too.As for St. Louis doing better economically than Cleveland I agree.I still feel other than the architecture Cleveland is more of a Northeastern city.There is alot of people from Western Pennsylvania in the Northeast Ohio area.Plus the climate is much more comparable to the Northeast.Cleveland is similar to Buffalo if you ask me.But as for there downtowns,I've only been to Clevelands,and I really like it.As for thier skylines,I take Cleveland over St. Louis,just because thier about the same size,and Cleveland has the taller buildings.Actually at one point in time the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the world outside of New York City and Chicago.
Cleveland is Northeastern? I thought it was Midwestern...in any case...Cleveland only has two taller buildings than anything in St. Louis...that's the reason you'd choose Cleveland over St. Louis? Because of two buildings? Cleveland may be a bit more diverse, but not much. If I were to pick Cleveland over St. Louis, it would be because of it being on a Great Lake and getting more snow...not because of taller buildings...that's just me though.
 
Old 08-19-2007, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
2,368 posts, read 6,654,490 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Cleveland is Northeastern? I thought it was Midwestern...in any case...Cleveland only has two taller buildings than anything in St. Louis...that's the reason you'd choose Cleveland over St. Louis? Because of two buildings? Cleveland may be a bit more diverse, but not much. If I were to pick Cleveland over St. Louis, it would be because of it being on a Great Lake and getting more snow...not because of taller buildings...that's just me though.
No,Cleveland is Midwest,I just think it feels more Northeastern through.No,I like Cleveland's skyline better because it has a couple taller buildings,I don't like the city better because it has taller buildings.I've never been to St. Louis,just rode by it,I want to go there through.Both really do seem similar through.
 
Old 08-22-2007, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,755,060 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Glad I struck a nerve with you homie--anytime!
Homie? What is the year 1990 or so again?
 
Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,040,640 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Homie? What is the year 1990 or so again?
Lol. You're lame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top