Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:34 AM

174 posts, read 697,924 times

Advertisements

the hate for columbus is strong...i dont see the big diff between st.louis and columbus downtown...but LA is gotta be the worst, i was susprises when i went to LA early this spring...for such a popular and big city...it was blah

Old 12-31-2007, 04:55 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,890 times
I haven't heard good things about downtown Detroit.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
hehe, I alway hear complaints on Dallas' downtown, I guess its not as bad... is it? or is it just that everyone has never been to dt dallas or not thought of it. I think we deserve some mention, Everyone here complains on how Downtown Fort Worth is so much better.
I actually hear our DT is being revitalized and based off of some on the pictures i see on our theads, its not too bad. But I went fairly recently and wasn't majorly impressed, although we do have a nice aquarium in dt.
But i guess I'll vote for my own city having a bad downtown, although the way some of you guy describe others its not as bad as i think.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDigital85 View Post

Houston's central business district (downtown)...
That picture is about 20 years old. Unless I'm thinking of the other picture. Nevertheless, that picture is old. Houston is in the process of ridding itself of parking lots altogether. Houston has a great plan to upgrade it's downtown. They have the 2025 plan and it's going on now. Several parking lots are gone now and making way for a large park for downtown residents. 3 other blocks of parking lots are making way for the Houston Pavilions. It's similar to the Denver Pavilions.

http://http://www.houstonpavilions.com/home.php (broken link)
This is also currently under construction. Not to mention they have plans for make for Buffalo Bayou in downtown.
http://www.buffalobayou.org/visionary.html

Old 12-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I never said the downtowns weren't nice. They're beautiful. But they need more density and 24-hour activity. One should have the choice of never having to leave downtown Houston except to go shopping or to a football game (on subway or rail).
Part of that is Houston but I think the other part is the state of Texas. It's idiotic blues laws has bars stop selling liquor at 2AM. Fortunately, I've heard they are trying to change that to 5AM. But one cannot enjoy the town if the state of Texas wants clubs to shutdown the bar early. Although some clubs do stay open to 4 and 5 AM.

But yeah, it's great to go out on the town and enjoy yourself with your group of friends if you went to see the Astros and Rockets. Once the pavilions open up and the park is completed, downtown will take a step up from being a deserted wasteland to a vibrant area.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
hehe, I alway hear complaints on Dallas' downtown, I guess its not as bad... is it? or is it just that everyone has never been to dt dallas or not thought of it. I think we deserve some mention, Everyone here complains on how Downtown Fort Worth is so much better.
Downtown Dallas is ok. It's just dead. It also has the potential to become a vibrant downtown. But they also have plans to upgrade the area. But unlike Houston, DTD has competition with Victory. Some like to call Victory downtown and others do not. I think the renovation of the Mercantile area on Main Street is similar to Houston pavilions.
http://www.downtowndallas.org/downtown_partner/vision.html (broken link)
You have alot to look forward to. New parks are being planned, west end will get better and it's only steps away from Victory.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times
In Los Angeles the problem is going to be brining the foot traffic downtown. Shopping is a major element of having a succesful downtown. Currently other areas act as the hub for shopping in the Los Angeles area. Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive for example is the major ultra expensive shopping area and the Fashion District, a few blocks south of the big skyscrappers is like the discount/ knock off area. With added residential towers, foot traffic might increase, but otherwise it will just be hard to convince people to leave the areas closest to where they live and go downtown over Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc...
In Los Angeles people shop in areas like this:
Beverly Hills

The Fashion District (I know its a little frightening, but there really are some great deals)

Third Street Promenade- Santa Monica

Those are just a few examples of the smaller shopping enclaves/ nightlife areas that make up for not having a central downtown that has lots of action.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
I haven't heard good things about downtown Detroit.
Downtown Detroit is acutally nice and getting better every year. Most of it's outer neighborhoods are not however.....and that's where it's horrible repuatation comes from.
Attached Thumbnails
What Large City has the WORST Downtown?-ice-skating.jpg  

Old 12-31-2007, 08:30 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
Detroit, St Louis, and Los Angeles are all major places to look for shopping in suburbia. You can do that in Chicagoland, but on a first visit, don't miss the actual city.

Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Milwaukee are much more lively than Detroit or St Louis in the downtown core. I read months ago that Tampa is pretty empty. Where it ranks relative to Pittsburgh, I do not know.

Not all cities can be Boston, Chicago, or Seattle.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
http://www.downtowndallas.org/downtown_partner/vision.html (broken link)
You have alot to look forward to. New parks are being planned, west end will get better and it's only steps away from Victory.
cool, I can't wait until that happens.
I hope they put up a skyscraper or 2 too, out skyline is getting old and is falling behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City