Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Art Museum in the South
Miami 4 5.06%
Houston 32 40.51%
Dallas 18 22.78%
Atlanta 12 15.19%
None of these, please name others 13 16.46%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

The Menil Collection:

The Renzo Piano-designed museum opened to the public in June 1987 and houses John and Dominique de Menils' privately-assembled collection of twentieth-century art, including over 15,000 paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings, photographs, and rare books. It includes the early to mid-twentieth century works of Yves Tanguy, René Magritte, Max Ernst, Man Ray, Marcel Duchamp, Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso among others.

The museum also maintains an extensive collection of pop art and contemporary art from Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, Mark Rothko, Robert Rauschenberg and Cy Twombly, among others. Also included in the museum's permanent collection are Antiquities and works of Byzantine, Medieval and Tribal art.

The museum campus has grown to include two satellite galleries to the main building: Cy Twombly Gallery (also designed by Piano) and The Dan Flavin Installation at Richmond Hall, which houses Mrs. de Menil's last commission (a series of three site-specific installations by Dan Flavin that were installed in 1998). Two other buildings founded by the de Menils, but now operating as independent foundations complete the campus: The Byzantine Fresco Chapel and the Rothko Chapel. The museum has a library that is open to qualified researchers by appointment and a bookstore open during museum hours.

The neighborhood as a whole has a coordinated feel. The Menil Foundation began buying homes in the area in the 1960s and painting them the same shade of gray over time. When the museum building was constructed, it too was painted 'Menil gray.' Though subtle, the result is a neighborhood that feels aesthetically unified. Currently the surrounding bungalows are used as additional office space for museum employees, or rented to individuals or non-profit organizations.

More Info Can Be Found Here:
The Menil Collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:09 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
The whole area of the Menil just has a good feel. It feels like the several blocks involved are part of the museum with the Rothko Chapel balancing the museum.

The MFA in Houston has more art to my taste and is, of course, much bigger, but the Menil is quite unique. Its been described as the best small art museum in the country. Not only that, but admission is free (at least last I checked).

The MFA also has a nice setting as part of the city. The sculpture garden resides between it and the Contemporary Art Museum with the Mecom Fountain just down the street.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
The fact that Atlanta has more votes than Dallas shows that either people are uneducated on this topic or they are just homers. Sorry

Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM

brent and Newsboy are known Texas haters, and the other didn't bother reading the thread.

I am more shocked about those who voted for Miami since no one has mentioned Miami at all.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Never been to Houston, been to Dallas twice, and been to Miami sooo many times (was nearly born there).

I live across from the High, so I may be biased, but I believe the High has the largest name recognition, not to mention the fact that it is the coolest design out of all of the major art museums in any of the cities listed with Richard Meier designing the original 80s section and Renzo Piano designing the 2006 addition.

I have visited the Nasher in Dallas and I think that it is pretty special and unique. That is definitely the city's art jewel moreso than the DMA imo.

Apparently the Museum of Fine Art in Houston is one of the most visited art museums in the world, with more visitors than the Guggenheim, LACMA, MFA Boston, and any others outside of our country's best in NYC, Chicago, and LA (Getty). The High was the 2nd most visited in the SE, and Dallas's MFA was not on the list. The High had half as many visitors as the Houston MFA.

This could probably mean something.

Miami just can't compete on a museum level. I hate to say it, but both Sarasota and Jacksonville school Miami/SoFL in art museums, and probably compete on a gallery level.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Yeah, I had to give Houston this one. This is twice I've said something nice and positive about Texas over the past week, what's wrong with me?

Other southern cities that need to be mentioned are Fort Worth - I'm assuming the OP is including FW's museum's with Dallas? (Dallas needing FW's help again as always?), St Petersburg, FL, and New Orleans.

As for Miami, they do have good festivals, including the Basel. But they lack in museums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The fact that Atlanta has more votes than Dallas shows that either people are uneducated on this topic or they are just homers. Sorry
And people talk about me bashing Texas every chance I get...Chile...

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 08-30-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Miami just can't compete on a museum level.
wow, so why is Miami always put on Houston and ATL level?? They can't compete in the arts, or economically, they have no real Tier one Universities.

are they put on that level because of their population?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Of the South's "Big Four" the only art museums I have been to are in Atlanta. Judging from this thread and some other things I have read, I'd have to say that Houston comes out on top, with Dallas and Atlanta fighting for second and Miami last. I'd be really interested to hear any input from someone who can tell me about Miami's art offerings.

As mentioned previously, there are also good art museums in the Southern cities of New Orleans (N.O. Museum of Fine Art), St. Pete (Dali Museum), Richmond (Virginia Museum of Fine Arts which recently had a great Picasso exhibit).

Any other major ones that haven't been mentioned? I went to the Mint Museum of Art in Charlotte back in the 90's and was not that impressed, but that was a long time ago and it has probably expanded since then.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I'd be really interested to hear any input from someone who can tell me about Miami's art offerings.
me too! but the people who voted Miami didn't say why.

I doubt they even read the thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
[quote=po-boy;20669101]Of the South's "Big Four" the only art museums I have been to are in Atlanta. Judging from this thread and some other things I have read, I'd have to say that Houston comes out on top, with Dallas and Atlanta fighting for second and Miami last. I'd be really interested to hear any input from someone who can tell me about Miami's art offerings.quote]

I would put Houston first because its art scene is very established and flourishes over the other 3, but Dallas and its surrounding Metro area is an easy second place over Atlanta. There really isn't a comparison between the two when you look at amount of artistic offerings, quality of offerings and diversity of offerings. No offense to Atlanta, but the arts just aren't as prevelant over there as in Dallas. Even Northpark mall in Dallas is considered an art gallery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City