U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,345,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
PHILLY is the #2 city in the northeast but Boston is always trying to make that claim. The problem is that Boston is so far outside of the core of Megalopolis that they don't get to visit the other big cities often. Having nobody to compare themselves to but Providence, Boston residents start to believe that their city is the next biggest thing to NYC. That's been going on for decades. Makes me laugh nowadays.
Again, to rehatch my theories on Philadelphians. According to you guys Philly will always be number two because you said so, rather than look at numbers and statistics. I bet if the stats came slathered in greasy meat and cheese then you take a second look.

Btw, the name of the Northeast Megalopolis is called BosWash, after its head and tail cities.

Boston is the Intellectual Capital of the World and certainly this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
PHILLY is the #2 city in the northeast but Boston is always trying to make that claim. The problem is that Boston is so far outside of the core of Megalopolis that they don't get to visit the other big cities often. Having nobody to compare themselves to but Providence, Boston residents start to believe that their city is the next biggest thing to NYC. That's been going on for decades. Makes me laugh nowadays.
At least Boston will forever hold its own: Capital of New England
and is the head of the Megalopolis.

And don't forget, in between Boston and New York is Providence, Hartford and Springfield. Yes, not huge cities, but are regionally very important. I'm sure [I'd be curious if someone could quantify this] the Boston-New York segment is a financial and tech powerhouse!!!

...what will become of Philly? the largest suburb in the nation.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,448,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Ok
-Lexington-Concord
-Bunker Hill
-Siege of Boston
the first 3 major Battles of the Revolution were in Boston.
And infact the entire reason for Ticondaroga, and Saratoga was to save Boston because without it the rebbelion would fall apart because Bostonians had the cultural and Finantal support for the war, Philly was just a cental point to meet, when most of the information put in those 2 Documents were from People from Massachusetts or Virginia.
on the Bold the rebellion started in Springfield and went east from there being stopped right outside Boston. ZHZow is a rebellion against the American Government silly, while you say a rebellion against the British Government makes these cities have a rich History?
If the British had won the battle of Saratoga, it would have been the end of not just Boston, but all of New England. This obviously would not have been good for our war effort. Saratoga ends up being crucial victory not just in preventing this from happening but ends up being basically the most important battle in the war. To somehow twist that into making the battle of Saratoga something that adds to the history of Boston though is manipulation at the highest level and reeks of desperation.

Also to say that Boston was where all the cultural and financial support was and Philly was just a central meeting place is just beyond wrong. I mean honestly, is that really what they teach you up in Boston? This is laughably incorrect.

First off to call Boston the cultural center for the support of the war effort just shows a total misunderstanding of the era. It was Massachusetts that first moved to war and the rest of America didn't really care. So much for Boston being the cultural center. It was Ben Franklin's writings and the Thomas Payne's Common Sense that roused wide support for the war. These people were of course living in PHILADELPHIA. NOT Boston.

Also most of the financial support for was also NOT from Boston. It was actually Philadelphia who contributed more money to war effort than any other city... largely due to Robert Morris "the financier of the revolution". Virgina was the state that produced the most money. So again you're just totally wrong to say that Boston was most important financially.

Boston was however important to both the culture of Independence and the financing of the war, so these first two mistakes, are perhaps excusable. You are simply overstating Boston's importance. It's not like Boston was Wilmington or something, it was a very important place in these regards. Just not as important as Philadelphia.

The next thing you say though is just inexcusably inaccurate and shows either a lack of understanding of what you're talking about or a willful spreading of ignorance to falsely inflate Boston's importance. To say that Philadelphia was nothing more than a central meeting place is absurd. Philadelphia was the largest city in the American colonies, had the highest gdp of any american city. It was also the cultural center of the colonies. No doubt the relative central location of Philadelphia played a factor in Philly becoming the meeting place of our founding fathers, but it is FAR from the main reason.

Also I didn't say that the rebellion was "silly" I said that your claim that it directly led to the creation of the constitution is FALSE. I also said that the rebellion is tied to Springfield, not boston. Besides Shays was only the most successful and most well known rebellion from the time, Shays was far from the only person dissatisfied with American government after the Revolution War was one.

So please if you wish to speak about American history, please first learn it. In terms of the facts you are presenting in this thread you're batting like .300. Which while a good number in baseball is a pretty wretched percentage to get on a history test.

Boston nor any city has an edge in historical importance when compared to Philadelphia.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM

846 posts, read 1,370,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

And don't forget, in between Boston and New York is Providence, Hartford and Springfield. Yes, not huge cities, but are regionally very important. I'm sure [I'd be curious if someone could quantify this] the Boston-New York segment is a financial and tech powerhouse!!!

Not exactly. But hey, if it ever does gets consolidated by the NY metro, that could be to its advantage also.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Again, to rehatch my theories on Philadelphians. According to you guys Philly will always be number two because you said so, rather than look at numbers and statistics. I bet if the stats came slathered in greasy meat and cheese then you take a second look.

Btw, the name of the Northeast Megalopolis is called BosWash, after its head and tail cities.

Boston is the Intellectual Capital of the World and certainly this nation.
So going by your theory I guess Boston and Washington are more important than NYC???? What does it matter which cites are at the end of the corridor. That doesn't automatically make them more important. I'll ignore the ignorant cheesesteak comment, especially considering most of the cheesesteaks in Philadelphia are consumed by tourists.

Quote:

What do cities like Springfield and hartford have to do with a comparison of Philadelphia and Boston? What are you talking about? Also just because Boston is the Center of New England, it does not mean that it is more important that Philadelphia. In case you didn't realize Philadelphia is not in new england.

Philly is a suburb now? right. have you ever even been here before? please go away troll

Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM

6,972 posts, read 11,706,049 times
boston

philly is cooler for non-white people, by a freakin mile

Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
So going by your theory I guess Boston and Washington are more important than NYC???? What does it matter which cites are at the end of the corridor. That doesn't automatically make them more important. I'll ignore the ignorant cheesesteak comment, especially considering most of the cheesesteaks in Philadelphia are consumed by tourists.

What do cities like Springfield and hartford have to do with a comparison of Philadelphia and Boston? What are you talking about? Also just because Boston is the Center of New England, it does not mean that it is more important that Philadelphia. In case you didn't realize Philadelphia is not in new england.

Philly is a suburb now? right. have you ever even been here before? please go away troll
Isn't Philly as suburban New York a w-dream of Philadelphians, anyway?

Dub King wrote Boston off as being "too far removed from the core of the Megalopolis". So I merely pointed out that its the head of same. and hence my comments about those other cities. It seemed as if Boston was presented to be in a vacuum-tell that to the 10million ppl who live between Boston and NYC. Besides which, I think that Boston not sitting a** end on New York helps it maintain its individuality, allows it to exert influence over a greater area, effect greater change, etc. Which in regional terms means some 'influence' over Rhode Island, New Hampshire, 90% of Massachusetts and most of Connecticut. One only need to look at rail connections and future lines to understand Boston's owning of southern New England, aka the northern half of the Megalopolis.

ergo
I think Boston being the "capital of New England" has a lot to do with its power and prestige. Just as Atlanta is the capital of the new south...

Last edited by lmkcin; 10-10-2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Isn't Philly as suburban New York a w-dream of Philadelphians, anyway?

Dub King wrote Boston off as being "too far removed from the core of the Megalopolis". So I merely pointed out that its the head of same. and hence my comments about those other cities. It seemed as if Boston was presented to be in a vacuum-tell that to the 10million ppl who live between Boston and NYC. Besides which, I think that Boston not sitting a** end on New York helps it maintain its individuality, allows it to exert influence over a greater area, effect greater change, etc. Which in regional terms means some 'influence' over Rhode Island, New Hampshire, 90% of Massachusetts and most of Connecticut. One only need to look at rail connections and future lines to understand Boston's owning of southern New England, aka the northern half of the Megalopolis.

ergo
I think Boston being the "capital of New England" has a lot to do with its power and prestige. Just as Atlanta is the capital of the new south...
Philadelphia is close to New York. Yes. To act as though this has prevented Philly from developing it's own identity though is ABSURD. If Philadelphia becomes a part of NYC's CSA that still wouldn't make Philadelphia a suburb. How about you learn about what these terms mean before you start throwing them out there.

Honestly though if you think Philadelphia doesn't have it's own identity than perhaps you should just excuse yourself from this conversation because your clearly don't have much of a clue about what's going on here.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 PM

846 posts, read 1,370,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
boston

philly is cooler for non-white people, by a freakin mile
I don't know why but your comments freakin annoy me.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM

6,972 posts, read 11,706,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
I don't know why but your comments freakin annoy me.
you're not exactly one of my top 10 posters either..

so, we're cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City