Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 50,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Why is Boston constantly ranked a one of the most powerful cities in the world? Why is Boston ranked the most innovative in the world? Why is Boston ranked as one of the world's top 20 financial centers? Why is Boston one of the ten most visited cities in the US? etc, etc.

As for culture? Who's ever heard a Philadelphian accent? I mean this in terms of Boston's influence over movies, TV, music. Boston as a cultural tour de force is probably ranked with New York and Los Angeles. Think of collectively the art, literature, music, philosophy that has been produced in and around that city. Now think and realize its impact not only on the United States' identity, but the world.
Think, Most of those Rankings are biased. Financial Centers Yes. So philadelphia never had any world influence, get over yourself. Philadelphia the U.S. 4th largest media center has no influence in the U.S. or over movies get over yourself. American history doesn't contain philadelphia, get over yourself. Boston is #3, Philadelphia #1.5 NYC #1, Now that's how I see it and you can't do nothing about it, get over yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM

14,462 posts, read 11,206,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Of San Jose's 13 Fortune 500 companies, only 1 has a founder who attended any school in the Boston Area.

Apple-no affiliation
HP-no affliation
Cisco-no affliliation
Google-no affliliation
Yahoo-no affiliation
eBay-no affliliation
Intel(1 of the 3 founders earned a MBA at Harvard)
Advanced Micro Devices-no affliliation
Symantec-no affiliation
Agilent Technologies-no affliliation
Applied Materials-no afflilation
SanDisk-no affliation
Sanmina-SCI-no affiliation

And Arthur Rock, who is one of Intel's founders, was not an engineer, but a Venture Capitalist.

Silicon Valley existed long before Mark Zuckerberg wisely decided to relocate his company to Palo Alto.
And the Rte 128 Tech Belt existed long before Silicon Valley. What Btownboss is probably referring to is the fact that the Boston area was arguably the most instrumental region in the world in creating the computer revolution. Without companies like DataGeneral, Digital Equipment Corp, Wang Laboratories, Raytheon and Honeywell (which started it's computer business arm in Boston) there would be no Silicon Valley.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,772,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Very true. While Massachusetts is 12th in terms of state GDP, its per capita GDP ranks 6th in the country -- very impressive.

Massachusetts should serve as a model to PA as it continues on its long road of de-industrialization that it completed long before PA.
And I think Massachusetts' post industrialization age efforts make Boston the world class city it is. Over the past 30 years, it has rebuilt its reputation. Just think about the "Massachusetts Miracle." That turned Greater Boston into Silicon Valley East.

I don't think Philadelphia has been on the some trajectory as Boston. Doesn't mean it can't get there. I grew up in the northeast-most people don't contemplate Philadelphia, meaning unless you're going there, its not on your radar-or people think of it in negative terms, which seem to be re hatched from time to time. IMO, it has a long way to go to overcome its stereotype.

But 100 years ago, this debate wouldn't occur. Boston, NY, Philly and maybe Chicago were the United States.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,772,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOB123 View Post
Think, Most of those Rankings are biased. Financial Centers Yes. So philadelphia never had any world influence, get over yourself. Philadelphia the U.S. 4th largest media center has no influence in the U.S. or over movies get over yourself. American history doesn't contain philadelphia, get over yourself. Boston is #3, Philadelphia #1.5 NYC #1, Now that's how I see it and you can't do nothing about it, get over yourself.
I'm sure they are only biased BECAUSE Philly isn't top ranked.

Who cares how many people watch TV and where. Boston is a far greater cultural force than Philadelphia-there.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,287,785 times
Quote:

Who cares how many people watch TV and where. Boston is a far greater cultural force than Philadelphia-there.
He said "media". There are more things to media than TV. Boston being a far greater cultural force can easily be argued too. I have noticed you hate Philadelphia. Why?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,493,980 times
Quote:
As for culture? Who's ever heard a Philadelphian accent? I mean this in terms of Boston's influence over movies, TV, music. Boston as a cultural tour de force is probably ranked with New York and Los Angeles. Think of collectively the art, literature, music, philosophy that has been produced in and around that city. Now think and realize its impact not only on the United States' identity, but the world.
Well, to be fair, culture is a somewhat nebulous concept. In many cases, there are many overlapping influences (especially with writers, philosophers, etc. that tend to live in various cities over the course of their lifetime). It's difficult to attribute certain cultural assets to any one place. Edgar Allen Poe is a perfect example of this, having lived in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore.

I will concede that Boston's influence on the U.S. is much more well-known and distinctive, but that doesn't mean it has necessarily been greater. People like Ed Bacon (urban planning), John Wanamaker (marketing) and Frank Furness (architecture) may not be as well known, for example, but they are all Philadelphians who have all left a lasting mark in the context of American culture.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-12-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,651,766 times
Only among those who watch PBS, my friend. Only among those who watch PBS.

Quote:

Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,651,766 times
Rocky, an academy-award winning movie with a number of sequels that is immensely popular across the country, featured a lead character who (purportedly) spoke in a 'Philadelphia accent'. Of course it was actually a New York accent, but people understand that the Rocky character is from Philly, and if you asked someone to do a Philly accent, they'd probably say "Yo, Adrienne".

Some more fine points: "Actual Philadelphia dialects are seldom heard nationally; Philadelphia natives who attain national prominence often make an effort to tone down or eliminate their accents. However, Jim Cramer, the host of CNBC's Mad Money, is a conspicuous example of the real thing. Bam Margera, as well as several others in the MTV Jackass (TV series) crew are other speakers of the Philadelphia accent." - from Wikipedia

and

"The Philadelphia dialect is the dialect of English spoken in Philadelphia; and extending into Philadelphia's suburbs in the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. It is one of the best-studied dialects of American English since Philadelphia's University of Pennsylvania is the home institution of William Labov, one of the most productive American sociolinguists." - from Wikipedia

Philadelphia dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless of what you actually think of the answer - weak, strong, clever, desperate, acceptable - your question has been answered. People have heard of it.

Quote:
Why is Boston constantly ranked a one of the most powerful cities in the world? Why is Boston ranked the most innovative in the world? Why is Boston ranked as one of the world's top 20 financial centers? Why is Boston one of the ten most visited cities in the US? etc, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM

2,471 posts, read 3,998,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOB123 View Post
Boston is #3, Philadelphia #1.5 NYC #1, Now that's how I see it and you can't do nothing about it, get over yourself.
??? if anything Boston is #2.5, Philadelphia is #2, and NYC is #1. No matter which you decide is more important Philadelphia or Boston, the fact remains that both cities are much closer to each other in importance than they are to NYC.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,396,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well, to be fair, culture is a somewhat nebulous concept. In many cases, there are many overlapping influences (especially with writers, philosophers, etc. that tend to live in various cities over the course of their lifetime). It's difficult to attribute certain cultural assets to any one place. Edgar Allen Poe is a perfect example of this, having lived in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore.

I will concede that Boston's influence on the U.S. is much more well-known and distinctive, but that doesn't mean it has necessarily been greater. People like Ed Bacon (urban planning), John Wanamaker (marketing) and Frank Furness (architecture) may not be as well known, for example, but they are all Philadelphians who have all left a lasting mark in the context of American culture.
Very good points...I wish this thread would get a little less hate-filled. Both cities are great, have fantastic cultural offerings, and are very distinctive in their own right. There's no reason for people to try to diminish the accomplishments of one city to prop up their own.

I'd rep ya if I could, but I've got to spread it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City