U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM

31 posts, read 25,584 times

Advertisements

Agreed!

JBOB - Thread General U.S. Forum Philadelphia, NYC and Boston the three most influential U.S. cities throughout U.S. History to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM

116 posts, read 118,183 times
NYC is in the Mid Atlantic States and Boston in in the New England States but both areas are in the Northeast Region of the US. IMHO

PS Both great Cities and people who live in each.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,248,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very good points...I wish this thread would get a little less hate-filled. Both cities are great, have fantastic cultural offerings, and are very distinctive in their own right. There's no reason for people to try to diminish the accomplishments of one city to prop up their own.

I'd rep ya if I could, but I've got to spread it around.
Thanks, and I agree completely. Tact is definitely a rarity on city-data.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,795,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
??? if anything Boston is #2.5, Philadelphia is #2, and NYC is #1. No matter which you decide is more important Philadelphia or Boston, the fact remains that both cities are much closer to each other in importance than they are to NYC.
haha yea that ranking raised an eyebrow for me too. It was just a tad bit ambitious.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
??? if anything Boston is #2.5, Philadelphia is #2, and NYC is #1. No matter which you decide is more important Philadelphia or Boston, the fact remains that both cities are much closer to each other in importance than they are to NYC.
Hold on Pro Bowl, 1.5 million people say otherwise. Boston 600k say otherwise. I say #3Boston #1.5 Philadelphia #1 NYC. N.E. Coast & East Coast. Now are you saying that 1.5 does not matter. Damn this thing is splittin facts, check your facts. Your facts may not be my facts who created the facts, what are your facts. Give me back my money, get over it. LOL.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,248,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I don't think Philadelphia has been on the some trajectory as Boston. Doesn't mean it can't get there. I grew up in the northeast-most people don't contemplate Philadelphia, meaning unless you're going there, its not on your radar-or people think of it in negative terms, which seem to be re hatched from time to time. IMO, it has a long way to go to overcome its stereotype.
Right, Boston has had a pretty long head-start in terms of restructuring its economy, not to mention it didn't get quite as hammered with de-industrialization. Still, I would argue that it is on the same trajectory today. It's just farther behind on that path. The Philly metro is has long been shifting into a knowledge economy, and this will only continue.

I also realize that, outside of this region, many people tend to subscribe to some outdated stereotypes (and I don't blame them with media coverage that sensationalizes all things negative), but stereotypes are just that -- stereotypes. As of 2008, "goods producing" jobs, or manufacturing and construction, only accounted for 6.1% of jobs in Philadelphia. Medicine, higher education, biotechnology, and many other diverse sectors all define Philadelphia's economy today.

http://economyleague.org/files/2001_...nomicIndex.pdf

Quote:
But 100 years ago, this debate wouldn't occur. Boston, NY, Philly and maybe Chicago were the United States.
Agreed. The importance of many cities has definitely ebbed and flowed, but Philadelphia has finally halted its decline and is gaining momentum for a strong position in the modern global economy.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM

19,374 posts, read 16,766,818 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania is a huge state that includes Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is almost as far from Philly as Boston is.

Phillys GDP is nearly 4 times that of Pittsburgh and represent a majority of PA GDP (though some metro GDP is from NJ and DE)

Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM

100 posts, read 65,821 times
philadelphia is by far better! boston doesnt even come close to comparing!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Philadelphia did have the world's largest mint until 2009. Coinage check your pockets for the 'P' Symbol. Now people lived for and died for that $100 Philadelphian. AKA C-NOTE. Give me back my money, moving forward 2015.

I Know this post is old from way back in the skyscrapercity days, Lol but with all of these communist americans running around what are you going to do, the revolution continues.
Attached Thumbnails
#2 In the Northeast: Philadelphia or Boston-how_100_dollar_bill_changed_06.jpg  

Last edited by JBOB123; 10-12-2011 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM

341 posts, read 459,426 times
my vote goes to philly easily...

Better location, bigger city, better weather.

I've lived in the major metro areas of both cities.. within lets say 20 mins. so my vote should count as 5 votes. jk

edit: forgot to say what I came in here to say originally. I think that Boston is one of the most overrated cities, while philly could possibly be one of the most underrated cities in the US. this accounts for the relatively even poll results. Despite Philly being a better city =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City