Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyFood View Post
Something of note. Boston has 9 titles in 15 years. LA has 8 titles in 15 years. Very close.

Nobody ever talks about LA, and the Kings and Ducks have a legit shot at the Cup this year, so LA could actually tie Boston.
A city with 6 professional teams should already have more than a city with 4 teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:37 PM

108 posts, read 133,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
A city with 6 professional teams should already have more than a city with 4 teams.

Anaheim only adds two championships (Angels in 2002 and Ducks in 2007).

The Lakers (5) and Kings (2) account for 7 of them. Pretty impressive actually. The Kings could legitimately add a third in June.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:38 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Quote:
If you're going to point out the Flyers being at 98% for two years then I guess it's only fair that I point out the beloved Patriots were only at 97% this year. 16th in attendance out of 32 NFL teams.

Ut oh. I mean, it's the Patriots! They should at least be 100%, right?!

2015 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Meanwhile, the Eagles have won absolutely nothing and they're always over 100% capacity.
ESPN is calculating their percentage wrong for the Pats. Gillette seats 66,829. Gillette Stadium - Venue Information

According to you link from ESPN the Pats average 66,829. I'll let you try to do the math.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:51 PM

Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 PM

America's fattest cities? Don't count Boston - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Old 03-25-2016, 02:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Looks like Philly clocked in around the median. I'm surprised it's not near the top given we eat cheesesteaks for breakfast and all.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:24 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Underhanded racism? What the **** are you on about?

I'm saying that privileged whites are the ones with most of the finance jobs that tout these pointless rankings. It's mental masturbation. Why don't we ask those of us who aren't privileged whites with finance jobs how favorable the city of Boston is. I'm not suggesting that latinos or blacks get all the other lesser jobs, and I think if you live Cambridge, MA you're probably smart enough to presume that non-privileged whites make up a lot of the latter as well. It has nothing to do with who is capable of obtaining what job. Again, all I am saying is the vast majority of people that like to parade those lists and rankings are privileged whites with those high-paying jobs as proof that Boston is doing well. There is a huge wealth gap in Boston, no?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, who I am, what I am, or where I come from.

You're committed to misunderstanding me, even in the face of explanation and clarification.

Get off my dick, dude. You'd be plenty surprised who I am and what I do.

Stop by the Freedom School at MVCC in Utica, NY on Thursday Nights, then you'll see how "racist" I am.

Go misunderstand someone else.
We chopped it up over DM about this so I wont go on in detail, but I will share something that might open your eyes to a Boston you have never experienced.

Last night I attended the annual Mass Black Lawyers Association Gala at the Park Plaza Hotel. It is co sponsored by my wifes firm. Its always nice to be in the same room as Professional black folks who somehow have made it through the glass ceiling that exists not only in Boston but everywhere in the country. The After event was hosted at Daryl's, which is a black owned Jazz Club and Restaurant in the South End. Once again an example of black success.

This weekend I will be attending a couple events associated with the annual National Society of Black Engineers conference which chose Boston as the host city this year. So far their have been rave reviews and every single company of note is recruting these 10k young men and women engineers hard locally. I was speaking to a hiring manager last night from Draper Labs and he said they hope to recruit at least a few to work on their campus in Cambridge.

So no one is saying this isnt a racist city, we are saying that its a city that is located in a racist country so it obviously has its issues. But to imply that successful cities like Boston that boast successes in certain high paying fields would not appeal to black folks is insulting. Like we haven't already made our mark and are on our way towards making an even bigger dent.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, I'm on Team Philly, but Boston is pretty diverse these days. I'm especially jealous of the fact that Metro Boston has a more vibrant Caribbean Black/Latino population than Philadelphia, which skews predominately more Americanized Puerto Rican. Each city has its pros and cons, but I don't think demographics, and demographics issues, is an area that either has a definitive upper hand in.
Good post. People tend to forget that black folks are not some homogenous group and we all have likes and dislikes that differ from one another, despite sharing the same skin colour. At the end of the day I love visiting my friends in Philly, for many reasons but one is the vibrant African American culture that exists in the city and is on display through its art, music, food and culture.

At the same time I have Caribbean friends in Philly that go out of their way to visit me in Boston because of how strong the West Indian culture is and how Boston is on the circuit for every major dancehall artists and deejay when they are touching America and they at times quite often will skip Philly. Add to that the cool Cape Verdean and Brazilian cultural scenes and you have something that appeals to black people of another background.

So imagine that, black folks can like both Philly and Boston for completely different reasons. Your likes and dislikes will tend to fall based on your background and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
We chopped it up over DM about this so I wont go on in detail, but I will share something that might open your eyes to a Boston you have never experienced.

Last night I attended the annual Mass Black Lawyers Association Gala at the Park Plaza Hotel. It is co sponsored by my wifes firm. Its always nice to be in the same room as Professional black folks who somehow have made it through the glass ceiling that exists not only in Boston but everywhere in the country. The After event was hosted at Daryl's, which is a black owned Jazz Club and Restaurant in the South End. Once again an example of black success.

This weekend I will be attending a couple events associated with the annual National Society of Black Engineers conference which chose Boston as the host city this year. So far their have been rave reviews and every single company of note is recruting these 10k young men and women engineers hard locally. I was speaking to a hiring manager last night from Draper Labs and he said they hope to recruit at least a few to work on their campus in Cambridge.

So no one is saying this isnt a racist city, we are saying that its a city that is located in a racist country so it obviously has its issues. But to imply that successful cities like Boston that boast successes in certain high paying fields would not appeal to black folks is insulting. Like we haven't already made our mark and are on our way towards making an even bigger dent.

We did talk over DM, and I understand much better.

I hope you understand that in no way was it to say that these high paying fields don't appeal to blacks or anyone. Absolutely 100% positively not the case.

Even as a young working class white male from inner city Rust Belt America, Boston seems unattainable and homogeneous, at least on the outside.

I love seeing that though. Any time I have been to Boston it just seemed very socially exclusive everywhere I went, and not that integrated. (segregation is an issue in every city in America)

Old 03-25-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Good post. People tend to forget that black folks are not some homogenous group and we all have likes and dislikes that differ from one another, despite sharing the same skin colour. At the end of the day I love visiting my friends in Philly, for many reasons but one is the vibrant African American culture that exists in the city and is on display through its art, music, food and culture.

At the same time I have Caribbean friends in Philly that go out of their way to visit me in Boston because of how strong the West Indian culture is and how Boston is on the circuit for every major dancehall artists and deejay when they are touching America and they at times quite often will skip Philly. Add to that the cool Cape Verdean and Brazilian cultural scenes and you have something that appeals to black people of another background.

So imagine that, black folks can like both Philly and Boston for completely different reasons. Your likes and dislikes will tend to fall based on your background and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Yes I have noticed that in Boston there is a much more pronounced West Indian presence than Philadelphia.

Philadelphia seems to have a large AA Muslim population. Does Boston have one?

They both definitely do that different strengths here, and yes I do agree about the vibrant AA culture in Philly being much more apparent in the city fabric. It kind of reminds me of where I am from.

I feel more at home in Philadelphia. It's not to say that I don't like Boston, because I am promoting one over the other here. They are two sides of the same coin. I just wanted to point out some things I found overrated and didn't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City