Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 PM

345 posts, read 828,658 times

Advertisements

So we all know NYC is number 1. What is number 2: Boston or Philly? Both cities have unique history and have a great share in our national economy. Philadelphia is larger, but Boston has better education and is a huge financial center. Both get overshadowed by New York, but each are special in their own way. There are great arguments for both cities, BUT which one do you prefer and believe is the second best city in the Northeast?

P.S. I'm not including D.C., because I don't want to start a is D.C. southern or northeast argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
probably even, since they have swapped places so many times throughout history and had upswings and downswings. Boston has had the most recent prosperity the past 20 years or so, but, that could change again.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Boston, They feed many large Metro areas, like San Jose would be nothing, because all those companies were founded by Harvard or MIT students.
Also Boston Anchor all of New England

Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Dc...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Dc...
he isnt counting DC cause of the Possible North South custody war

Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 PM

27,244 posts, read 28,317,220 times
Tough choice, but I'm going with Boston. It really is a cool and unique city.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 AM

13,685 posts, read 15,591,570 times
Well DC is right with NYC but # 3 between Boston and Philly would probably be Boston. I think Philly suffers from being in between NYC and DC. If Philly was not sandwiched between NYC and DC, it would probably be 3rd.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,651,346 times
And Wharton graduates actually run the companies that hire those Harvard and MIT grads. When those fat cats grow old, they are going to receive coronary bypass surgery from a Penn or Temple trained heart surgeon, and they will be treated with drugs that were created, developed and manufactured by Philadelphia companies. Penn is the largest Ivy League school. Besides Harvard is in Cambridge so Philly should be allowed to annex some of its own neighboring communities to this smackdown - hello Villanova, hello King of Prussia mall, hello Main Line incomes and low crime rates and SEPTA regional rail - The medical programs at Penn and Temple beat the size and scope in Boston. Both cities have about the same number of students, just over 500,000. I'd say the two cities were on-par educationally, even with MIT and Harvard being the pinnacle schools they are.

... also don't you mean they were founded by Harvard dropouts? That's a bit of an urban legend anyhow, except for a few famous examples.

I'm going with Philly, and not just because I'm an Eagles fan now (I grew up a Patriots fan, rooted for them against the Bears). Boston reigned over Philly for decades, Philly's comeback is truly a recent phenomenon. Comcast Center is not just a tall building, it was built as a gateway helping tie the city together. It is the grandest project of the last decade but far from the only one. Philly's population decline reversed, the Schuylkill Banks trail was opened, bike lanes were created, and many high-rise luxury condos were built and occupied. Famous stores (Foodery, DiBruno's) opened additional locations. Northern Liberties was reborn with the Piazza. The restaurant scene really took off. Tourism increased dramatically. Independence mall's renovation was completed. Megabus and Bolt bus made going to NYC cheap and easy. Comcast bough NBC/Universal. Philly finally got a downtown Apple store (last year I think). The Phillies upped the ante and now the city can have the same pride in their team as Boston enjoys with the Red Sox. After a few games I hope I can say the same thing about the Eagles.

Not only has the Barnes collection been moved downtown, but Philly is getting ready to reveal the (completely secret) Frank Gehry designed expansion the the Art Museum. It's secret because it is entirely underground, like the expansion of the Louvre. Nothing is more intriguing, when other cities get a Gehry museum it's a huge undulating stainless steel thing, a very obvious 'signature' structure. In classic Philly fashion, ours will be totally hidden behind a classic facade. Here it's discussed in... The Boston Herald http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/view.bg?articleid=1295258&srvc=next_article (broken link)

The two cities are tied for history, sight-seeing, parks, shopping, the arts, etc.

In finance, Philly is more of a player than people think. Our options exchange is as large as Chicago's, and 5X the size of Bostons. Philly and Chicago handle half of NASDAQs option trade volume between the two of them. That's right, AAPL gets traded in Philly.

So in recognition of the improvements that brought Philly back from the brink, I vote for Philly. Beating Boston in a World Series would be the final step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston, They feed many large Metro areas, like San Jose would be nothing, because all those companies were founded by Harvard or MIT students.
Also Boston Anchor all of New England

Last edited by Dub King; 08-13-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,699,290 times
Philly is still the second largest city on the eastcoast. So i'll go with philly.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 AM

345 posts, read 828,658 times
i just added a poll, so now you can vote which one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City