Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,971 times

Advertisements

My vote was Maryland, I always had memories of being in a Ho Jo, raining outside, crappy weather, I just had a awful time when I was there. I came back and toured a few states, I visited Maryland again and loved it. What about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Southern/Central NJ.
I thought the people were hick-like, the topography was plain and flat, and that the infrastructure was bland (I was a kid thinking this, so don't hold this against me) then I started traveling more and saw the nation, and then I developed a better image of SoNJ when I REALLY ventured into the region.
The boardwalks, ocean, beaches, safe family-oriented cities, plenty of forests and wild life- It's a very sprawly in some parts (Vineland!), but some of those immediate Philly burbs have so much life, charm, and history in them (Collingswood)

Princeton is another one to mention- I used to think of just the university before I ever visited. That town was wonderful. The infrastructure, vegetation, and history... I want to press refresh and see it again.

Wildwood, Atlantic City, Cape May, Avalon... What more can I say
Brick was named the safest City in the nation- Toms River was among the top 20.
Camden sucks. Oh well.
Six Flags Great Adventure
The Pine Barrens
All the Horse farms

Southern NJians take pride where they live. I can see why, it manages to be so lively and entertaining without the need of a major city- They did a great job with that region.

Can't forget Wawa...

Last edited by BPerone201; 07-16-2010 at 12:53 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
Charlotte, NC ; Brooklyn, NY ; Queens, NY

Old 07-16-2010, 05:54 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Houston, Texas.

When we first moved to Houston, I hated it's guts. I thought it was a boring, bland, plain, humid, useless town, absolutely hated the place to the max. Like you have honestly no idea how much hatred I had for Houston and all the other cities in Texas for that matter.

After I started seeing all these other cities, and compared my lifestyle to what could have been in those cities, I began to appreciate Houston more. I started to become more open minded, and all those things that I thought about it were gone. I took it upon myself to see all of Houston from San Jacinto Monument all the way to Kemah and due north all the way to Lake Conroe. As my friends and I saw more and more of Houston I began to love it. Love everything about it, the scenery, the architecture, the food, everything about it...

I discovered so many nightlife places that I did not know about, all of them are new as in the last 2-3 years they were put up. The older ones I have not been too, but I could careless about those anyways, I've found my spot! I found a lot of great restaurants, I saw the side of Houston a lot of people never dream of. I saw how it's a great city. I saw all the art galleries and museums, and I saw the Zoo, among other things that I truly do appreciate now.

Seen so much of the city since then. And my opinion changed completely. I then started thinking of how misunderstood the city is, even to the people who live there.

Everything they need is right there, they just need to take it upon themselves to find it.

I can see why a lot of people misunderstand the city, but to be honest, you'll never appreciate or understand what Houston has until you've lived there. And until you find out for yourself. The people who visit, they don't know what to see, or what to do. There's plenty to see and definitely plenty to do.

I took it upon myself that from now on, where ever I go, I go with an open mind, and accept the good, bad, & ugly of every place. Because to some it could be their Houston- their city that they know has potential to be a great city, but to an outsider- it might not be much.
So I give every city/every place the benefit of doubt, and I go to them all with an open mind, and low expectations only to enjoy each and every single one of them.

I feel bad for even thinking those things about Houston before, I owe it to the city for how great my life really is. I like the way I live, and I like the city overall. I'll even go out to say that I like my living conditions infinitely more than I like my living conditions in Chicago. In Houston, you get plenty for such little amount, in Chicago, there's taxes, taxes, even more taxes... stress, and high cost for some things that just don't seem worth it- but the plus side comes in to the fact that at this point in my life, I like the city living lifestyle more, I'm young and I like downtown living, so I'll take what Chicago gives me. (which is a moderate sized loft in Downtown) Thankfully I can always go to Houston for home there.

I would live in Downtown Houston if I could to get that city living that I like about Chicago (which is way more lively than Houston and has more city life things) but what's the point in wasting money when my parents live in Sugar Land (suburban Houston)? I have a great home to go back to, have all the space I could need, and everything is right next door, any kind of food, things to do, all right there. I give Houston an A++++ for quality of life based off living, IMHO (from my own experience). Which is why I stopped underestimating this city.

It's just how I perceive the whole country, and it's worked out perfectly for me so far to give every place it's credit and try/attempt to see all the positives of every single place.

I'm happy with my life, and I'm content with it all. Would not trade any part of it for anything else.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
The piedmont region of North Carolina. It is where I spent most of my childhood and even college years, so by 24 I was pretty down on just about everything in the area. I hated the lack of vistas, the lack of snow, the humidity, etc... After living out west for a few years and seeing more of the midwest than I cared to, I came back to the piedmont with a very different perspective. I now find I rather like the forests (which prevent any vistas which might otherwise be afforded). I don't mind not shovelling 120" of snow during a winter. I like that I can swim comfortably in the ocean from April through October. I appreciate that we have a relatively strong and diverse economy with a reasonable cost of living. Oh, and I still hate the humidity!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Denver, Colorado

I visited there for the first time when I was around 12 and it was during winter. I hate being too cold so I really didn't like it. I also didn't like how isolated it was from everywhere else, but I've gone back a few times since then and have grown to like it. Very beautiful city. The cold still bothers me when I go but summer and fall may be the best time to visit.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Atlanta, Georgia and Fort Worth, Texas.

Did care for either the first few times I went to both. But the most I visited, the more I grew to love both. Now they are two of my favorites.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
OmShahi sounds like you've gone country!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Buffalo NY. If you can look past the decay you find a very interesting and beautiful city. I really like the oldest skyscrapers in existence, the Fredrick Law Olmstead park system and the Sabers, LOL

Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM

515 posts, read 1,058,869 times
I used to visit Philadelphia a lot when I was a Kid in the late 70's. I remember it was gritty and sort of run down looking. When I got a chance to visit it again in the early 90's I was impressed. Though I have to admit it was also the first time I had ever been to the South Street area. Still it was noting like the Philadelphia I used to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City