Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best
Cleveland 27 23.68%
Columbus 14 12.28%
Pittsburgh 52 45.61%
Indianapolis 21 18.42%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,902,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Huh? From Lakewood (fairly centrally located within Cleveland), it's 128 miles farther to the end of the Holland Tunnel in Manhattan than it is to the Chicago Loop. I've gone from the Cuyahoga/Lorain border to my house in Chicago off the Division Street exit on the Kennedy Expressway in five hours flat. I don't know if 5:45 would even put me in New Jersey, let alone Manhattan.
It's a response to post see original post above....

Old 09-02-2011, 01:49 PM

312 posts, read 433,870 times
Cleveland and Pittsburgh are old cities whereas Indianapolis and Columbus are newer cities and also state capitals to their respective states. I'm not very fond of the Midwest and Northeast cities due to my preferences in weather, location, architecture, and sometimes even culture.

Although if I had to pick, I would definitely pick Indianapolis and Columbus over the other two, those are modern cities of this time period, growing, feel young, are young, and increasing in relevancy whereas the other two are older cities, have been plagued with issues in the past and even now at the present, and I just don't like their architecture sense.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 PM

62 posts, read 108,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Cleveland and Pittsburgh are old cities whereas Indianapolis and Columbus are newer cities and also state capitals to their respective states. I'm not very fond of the Midwest and Northeast cities due to my preferences in weather, location, architecture, and sometimes even culture.

Although if I had to pick, I would definitely pick Indianapolis and Columbus over the other two, those are modern cities of this time period, growing, feel young, are young, and increasing in relevancy whereas the other two are older cities, have been plagued with issues in the past and even now at the present, and I just don't like their architecture sense.

Lol, that's a lot of very baseless claims.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

The rise of the surburban generation...

Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,121,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
One, your comment makes no sense. Two, you do realize that the majority of Americans live in suburbia and have been for several decades right? Three, you do know that when people move they still overwhelmingly choose suburbs over core cities right?

Old 09-04-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The rise of the suburban generation was in 1950, this is the rise of the megapolis/megapolitan generation.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,121,295 times
Quote:
The rise of the suburban generation was in 1950, this is the rise of the megapolis/megapolitan generation.
No, unfortunately that has not panned out to be true, the bulk of your movement patterns still go from suburb to suburb.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
No, unfortunately that has not panned out to be true, the bulk of your movement patterns still go from suburb to suburb.
That's what I mean by metropolis.

Basically over sized metros: a core city in the middle or a set of twin cities (I.E Dallas/Fort Worth, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, etc) with a large string of inner, outer, and exurban areas all around them going for tens of hundreds of miles in every direction possible with high level of interconnectivity within the metro.

A true metropolis indeed.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
One, your comment makes no sense. Two, you do realize that the majority of Americans live in suburbia and have been for several decades right? Three, you do know that when people move they still overwhelmingly choose suburbs over core cities right?
I'm pointing out that the suburban kids, overwhelmingly white, have turned cities like Columbus and Indianapolis into a big suburb. The response was directed, if you read it, on choosing Columbus and Indianapolis over Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Not really when they cluster in overwhelmingly white cities because they're safe and they can still think they're city slickers. Portland, Oregon is the best example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City