Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best
Cleveland 27 23.68%
Columbus 14 12.28%
Pittsburgh 52 45.61%
Indianapolis 21 18.42%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Older in what way? They're all about 200 years old, give or take a decade or so. Or perhaps you mean architecture? They all have examples of older buildings, though to varying degrees of quantity and preservation. They all also have a population with an average age within 10 years of each other. Perhaps what you really mean is that you like the grit and decline, but the two cities in the poll that have most of that... continue to lose people. I like a little grit myself, but there has to be more than that to sell people on an urban area. And it is at least somewhat ironic that the very thing Cleveland and Pittsburgh want...growth and people, are exactly what Columbus and Indy have now. The bottom line, no matter what we argue about, is this: Those cities that continously do the right things to bring in business and people will grow. Those cities that don't, will not. For 50-60 years, Cleveland and Pittsburgh have not done what it takes to grow. They were admittedly hard-hit by the decline in manufacturing, but they were also too slow to change and diversify, and despite some more recent progress, still struggle with that. However you feel about "newer" cities, you should at least respect them for doing what it takes to keep things going in the right direction.
Columbus is a nice town as is Indy.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Good God, not another one of these false claims.
The governor of Indiana and the mayor of Indianapolis were active members of the Ku Klux Klan...the 1920s ''inclusion'' version because they added catholics, jews, etc. to the enemies list. What is false about this?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The governor of Indiana and the mayor of Indianapolis were active members of the Ku Klux Klan...the 1920s ''inclusion'' version because they added catholics, jews, etc. to the enemies list. What is false about this?
That somehow that equates to Indy having been the HQ for the Klan. Is there even such a thing as HQ for the Klan? Besides, that was nearly 100 years ago, and the Klan was destroyed in Indiana after that period. It gets old when people insinuate that Indiana is still a Klan hotbed.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
That somehow that equates to Indy having been the HQ for the Klan. Is there even such a thing as HQ for the Klan? Besides, that was nearly 100 years ago, and the Klan was destroyed in Indiana after that period. It gets old when people insinuate that Indiana is still a Klan hotbed.
I remember someone making this claim about Indiana and Ohio both, and I ended up looking up hate crime stats for all the Midwest. Neither Ohio and Indiana were at the top of the list, but instead no higher than the bottom half for most of the years I looked at. If I remember correctly, Minnesota and Michigan were towards the top.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Never mentioned that Indiana is still a hotbed of the Klan; the Klan doesn't even exist. I was commenting on how Columbus and Indianapolis have become so ''diverse''. The statistics point otherwise. I'm only pointing out that, given Indy's past history, what is the tolerance level of minorities? Legit question; sorry about Indiana's history but it is a fact - same goes for central and southern Ohio. WASPy places all...

Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I remember someone making this claim about Indiana and Ohio both, and I ended up looking up hate crime stats for all the Midwest. Neither Ohio and Indiana were at the top of the list, but instead no higher than the bottom half for most of the years I looked at. If I remember correctly, Minnesota and Michigan were towards the top.
What would happen to Columbus and Indianapolis in terms of being so tolerant if say, 100,000 african-american residents from the Chicago's west side moved there?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM

490 posts, read 863,946 times
Quote:
Never mentioned that Indiana is still a hotbed of the Klan; the Klan doesn't even exist. I was commenting on how Columbus and Indianapolis have become so ''diverse''. The statistics point otherwise. I'm only pointing out that, given Indy's past history, what is the tolerance level of minorities? Legit question; sorry about Indiana's history but it is a fact - same goes for central and southern Ohio. WASPy places all...
The statistics do say Columbus and Indianapolis are just about as "diverse" as Cleveland - Pittsburgh not so much. Cleveland's CSA is 25.0% minority, the Indianapolis CSA is 23.1% minority, Columbus CSA is 22.3% and Pittsburgh's CSA is 12.7% minority. I don't see much spread between those top 3. I think by 2020, the Indy and Columbus regions will be more diverse than Cleveland due to the high Asian and Hispanic growth in those cities.

Cleveland-Akron's minority population high among Ohio metros, low nationally: Statistical Snapshot | cleveland.com

Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
.. I was commenting on how Columbus and Indianapolis have become so ''diverse''. The statistics point otherwise. I'm only pointing out that, given Indy's past history, what is the tolerance level of minorities? Legit question; sorry about Indiana's history but it is a fact - same goes for central and southern Ohio. WASPy places all...
According to this study, which received considerable press last year, Indianapolis and Columbus are among the most integrated cities in the country.

Racial Integration in 100 Largest Metro Areas

As for being "WASPy," I'd bet a considerable sum that Roman Catholicism is the largest religious denomination in Indianapolis, judging by the number of parishes and schools.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
The capital city status is overblown. If being a capital city meant certain fortune, then why aren't Franfort, KY, and Jefferson City, MO, bustling metropolises? You're forget about Columbus' strong homegrown corporate base.

Max & Ermas's ?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Max & Ermas's ?
I was thinking of insurers such as Nationwide, Grange and Ohio Casualty Group, as well as Limited Brands, Wendy's and Huntington Bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City