Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best
Cleveland 27 23.68%
Columbus 14 12.28%
Pittsburgh 52 45.61%
Indianapolis 21 18.42%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Most have moved to suburban areas; Italians in Mayfield, Lake County; Irish west side city/west suburbs. Watch "Kill the Irishman" and you will plainly see that this movie could only take place in Cleveland...and not Indy or Cbus.
Agreed. This can only be Cleveland:

'Kill The Irishman' Trailer HD - YouTube

The late 1970's were tough times for the Italian mob and for Cleveland (and across the country for that matter)...the movie represents Jews, Irish, Polish, and even Danny's Litunanian friend. Although it was a violent time, it does represent much of the ethnic mix of the city.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM

490 posts, read 863,946 times
Quote:
Diversity to me is more than hispanics, blacks and asians...what about polish, irish, lithuanian, ukranians, romanians, italians etc. Where is Indy's Little Italy?
Or Columbus's Chinatown?
Check out St. John the Baptist Church in Columbus where masses are still said in Italian or the Columbus Italian festival. Bexley still retains a heavy Jewish influence and the schools there are closed for Rosh Hashanah. Columbus has plenty of people with German, Irish and Russian and ancestory as well. Not as many southern and eastern european descended people in Columbus or Indy as Cleveland or Pittsburgh for sure, but not nonexistent either. Still, how many people are speaking the "old country" languages anymore? Or going to the old ethnic parishes?

Columbus' Chinatown? The lineup of asian restaurants and stores on Bethel Road is impressive and find me another city in Ohio that has a larger asian population by percentage than Dublin which is at 15.3%.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Still, how many people are speaking the "old country" languages anymore?
Very few. Even if you go to Chicago's Greektown, it's very apparent that it's a facade. Most all of these so-called European "ethnic" neighborhoods are that way today. The businesses may be there, and they may be thriving, but the owners no longer live in the neighborhood (they moved to suburbia), and they're as Americanized as you and me.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Check out St. John the Baptist Church in Columbus where masses are still said in Italian or the Columbus Italian festival. Bexley still retains a heavy Jewish influence and the schools there are closed for Rosh Hashanah. Columbus has plenty of people with German, Irish and Russian and ancestory as well. Not as many southern and eastern european descended people in Columbus or Indy as Cleveland or Pittsburgh for sure, but not nonexistent either. Still, how many people are speaking the "old country" languages anymore? Or going to the old ethnic parishes?

Columbus' Chinatown? The lineup of asian restaurants and stores on Bethel Road is impressive and find me another city in Ohio that has a larger asian population by percentage than Dublin which is at 15.3%.
Going to a church and an annual Italian Festival is Columbus's answer for a Littel Italy? Most cities have cashed-in on this festival stuff, especially the St Patrick's Day nonsense. Been in Columbus on St Patrick's Day...lame. Cbus/Indy can't cut the mustard with ethnic neighborhoods, sorry.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Suburban new Chinatowns don't cut it either...sounds like strip malls.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Very few. Even if you go to Chicago's Greektown, it's very apparent that it's a facade. Most all of these so-called European "ethnic" neighborhoods are that way today. The businesses may be there, and they may be thriving, but the owners no longer live in the neighborhood (they moved to suburbia), and they're as Americanized as you and me.
Actually, for all of Chicago's bragging about its melting pot, it doesn't have a real a real Little Italy either (odd considering how Italian Chicago claims to be) and the ''Greektown'' is a few restaurants...nothing big. Now, when I was in Cleveland's Little Italy, being on a hill with the commuter train over the bridge, it reminded me of Boston...and the Shaker Square area where two other commuter trains pass through definitely has an eastern city feel to it.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Suburban new Chinatowns don't cut it either...sounds like strip malls.
But if it's happening organically, why does it matter if it's happening in strip malls? The same thing is happening in the Lafayette Square area of Indy. Seems to me you're just more interested in aesthetics.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM

121 posts, read 133,017 times
Quote:
Going to a church and an annual Italian Festival is Columbus's answer for a Littel Italy? Most cities have cashed-in on this festival stuff, especially the St Patrick's Day nonsense. Been in Columbus on St Patrick's Day...lame. Cbus/Indy can't cut the mustard with ethnic neighborhoods, sorry.
God, I wish I lived in either Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Apparently, somewhere along the way, they both became the cradles of western civilization and the most cultured places west of the Appalachians.

Sorry bud, I've lived in three of the four cities being compared here and you overrate one of them significantly (Pittsburgh) and you underrate the other two even more (Indy and Columbus).

Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM

121 posts, read 133,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
But if it's happening organically, why does it matter if it's happening in strip malls? The same thing is happening in the Lafayette Square area of Indy. Seems to me you're just more interested in aesthetics.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Most likely a stereotypical hipster we're dealing with here.

By the way, I was back in Indy over the holiday weekend and spent some time over by Lafayette Sq and I swear that almost none of those restaurants even existed a couple of years ago. That has been a mighty impressive transformation in such a short period of time! Indy is looking better than ever and, like my new home in KC, is moving in the right direction much quicker than any of the other three cities on this poll.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM

490 posts, read 863,946 times
Quote:

Columbus used to have several Italian neighborhoods, including Italian Village which is where the Italian-speaking parish is still located as is the festival. Grandview Heights had a large Italian population as did San Margherita, which still has St. Margaret of Cortona parish. However, like the Hungarians in Hungarian Village and Germans in German Village, etc., most of the second, third and fourth generations of these groups have moved to the suburbs and away from the older neighborhoods. I suspect the same thing has happened in Cleveland too.

The true ethnic neighborhoods now are often times located far away from downtown, often times in newer areas dotted with apartment complexes and strip malls. Many Mexicans live on the far west side along Broad Street and Sullivant Avenue, Chinese, Indians and Koreans in Northwest Columbus, Somalians (Columbus has the second largest such population in the country) near Morse Road and Cleveland Avenue, and Russians near Bexley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City