Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for me?
Denver 16 66.67%
New York City 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 PM

89 posts, read 165,527 times

Advertisements

Thanks for reading guys and girls. Here is my "criteria"
- I don't really like the west coast, laid back style of living, but I could probably deal with it.
- I like cold, snowy winters, mainly for hockey. Lol
- I love being outdoors.
- I like the idea of how big NYC is, but I like the idea of the mountains being close by in Denver.
- I'm a huge hockey and football fan/player.
- I would be living in the suburbs.

Also, just a little bit about myself. I've lived in an extremely small farm town my entire life, and I love the country. But I think big city living would be awesome, even better if there are "small town" suburbs near by. The type of suburbs I'm looking for, if anyone is familiar, kinda a suburb with it's own downtown, not TOO expensive, and good people and schools. Thanks so much guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 PM

208 posts, read 411,751 times
NYC doesn't get nearly as much snow as Denver, and unless you're filthy stinking rich, living in a suburb in NYC means you're probably on Staten Island, where the only "mountain" close by is the old Staten Island Dump.

Head to Denver, NYC's not for you.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM

46 posts, read 51,911 times
I'd definitely go with NYC.

You don't have to be filthy rich to live in the NYC suburbs.

Try Scarsdale or Bedford in Westchester County. Maybe Greenwich.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andover11 View Post

You pretty much have to be filthy rich to live in THOSE suburbs.

OP, Denver is much better for you, unless you want to live FAR outside of New York. It is much cheaper, more outdoorsy, and more of the type of suburbs you'd be comfortable with.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
For the OP...Denver seems to be a good first step to transitioning from a small town, to a larger town. Jumping into a city so large (NYC) would probably be slightly more hard to ajust to though. NYC, although larger, probably doesn't fit your criteria as much as Denver. Try visiting both, and then decide for yourself.

Also, NYC may win this poll...just as a heads up

Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andover11 View Post

Dude...what?

Median Household Income of:
Scarsdale: $182,792
Bedford: $100,053

Median price for a single-family home in Greenwich was $1.7 million in 2006.

You don't have to be filthy rich to live in New York's suburbs, or even New York City...but you're listing some very expensive areas.

Your criteria is very tough to judge. If you're excited to live in a big city, then go with New York...however you said you were going to live in the suburbs? If you're choosing New York, then live in the city...why would you "move to the big city" only to live outside of it?

If you're going to play it safe and live in the burbs, then choose Denver. However if you're going to take the full plunge and live in the city, choose New York.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
sounds like Denver would be the better fit for your requirements.

I say this because of key things you said...

"you could deal with laid back style of living"
"mountains close by in Denver"
"love being outdoors"
"live in suburbs"

Many other people like big city also, but those 4 are not in their "additional requirements"

I would recommend NYC if a user was saying "I want to live without a car, I'm into culture (art/museums/broadway/concerts), like the city life, like fashion, like taking the subways, like walkability, like the restaurant scene, like the types of jobs that are there, like the diversity, like the hustle bustle, like international city, like exploring different neighborhoods"...

You didn't say any of those. ...

so go with Denver.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 PM

205 posts, read 503,674 times
Add me to the list of those who voted Denver. I'm from NY and live near Denver and from what you posted, Denver does seem like the better fit. If it weren't for your first bullet point, it would be a slam dunk.

If you're still undecided, I'd think about two things.

1 - What specifically is drawing you to NY? Being the biggest city in the US is one thing, but what is it about the place that interests you? On the flip side, since you mention wanting to live in the suburbs, what is it about the city that is steering you outside of it?

2 - What is it about the more laid back, western vibe that turns you off? One of the benefits of not devoting 60+ hours a week to your career via work and commuting is that you have more time to enjoy the mountains and everything they offer.

If you do decide Denver, I would check out some of the neighborhoods in the city limits. Denver's suburbs are sprawling and for the most part don't have a traditional, walkable downtown (And yes, there are exceptions - Littleton, Arvada, Louisville and others). There are some great neighborhoods within Denver (former streetcar suburbs) that do have walkable "downtowns". It also may lessen some of the laid back feeling.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 PM

25 posts, read 35,448 times
Nyc

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM

89 posts, read 165,527 times
1 - What specifically is drawing you to NY? Being the biggest city in the US is one thing, but what is it about the place that interests you? On the flip side, since you mention wanting to live in the suburbs, what is it about the city that is steering you outside of it?

Just overall how convenient it is. Plus I think living near a big city would be great.

2 - What is it about the more laid back, western vibe that turns you off? One of the benefits of not devoting 60+ hours a week to your career via work and commuting is that you have more time to enjoy the mountains and everything they offer.

Not necessarily the laid backness, but the west coast, hippie-ish mentally. Not sure how much of that is in Denver though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City