Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times

Advertisements

For some reason, even after growing up in tornado alley, I never really included them in the hard core NATURAL DISASTER category.

I more think of things that affect large areas and thousands of people over a big region. I mean I know tornadoes are severe and terrifying, but it's just that they normally affect such a small area and the chances of them hitting your little plot of land (even in tornado alley) is SO SO small.

In Joplin and Tuscaloosa, clearly very extreme examples, it wiped out large areas of town, but at least the rest of the town is intact and capable of sending help immediately.

I'd be more scared of an earthquake, flood or hurricane. In many of those instances you have devestation spread out over a huge area. You can't just send in help from a few blocks away. You can't walk out of the disaster zone and into a hotel down the road that is all set up with power, food, water, infrastructure. Your house might get damaged, but at least you can still go to work or crash at friends down the road. Even when it wipes out an entire down of 1,000 people, at least all the surrounding areas are fine and can help.

I mean I was also leery of tornadoes, but I find people who live outside of tornado alley are normally much much more scared of tornadoes than people who deal with them and live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,816,905 times
It's gotta be San Francisco/LA, right? The "Big One" still hasn't hit yet and it's WAY overdue, which frankly scares the hell out of me! My family is all in SF right now and I really don't want them to experience this event, which is literally imminent! Something this big is going to be so catastrohic I just don't understand what a city like SF can do to prepare.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
well, how bout 3 days? Boston/ Providence will be hit by a large Cat 2 during astronomical high tide.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
For some reason, even after growing up in tornado alley, I never really included them in the hard core NATURAL DISASTER category.

I more think of things that affect large areas and thousands of people over a big region. I mean I know tornadoes are severe and terrifying, but it's just that they normally affect such a small area and the chances of them hitting your little plot of land (even in tornado alley) is SO SO small.

In Joplin and Tuscaloosa, clearly very extreme examples, it wiped out large areas of town, but at least the rest of the town is intact and capable of sending help immediately.

I'd be more scared of an earthquake, flood or hurricane. In many of those instances you have devestation spread out over a huge area. You can't just send in help from a few blocks away. You can't walk out of the disaster zone and into a hotel down the road that is all set up with power, food, water, infrastructure. Your house might get damaged, but at least you can still go to work or crash at friends down the road. Even when it wipes out an entire down of 1,000 people, at least all the surrounding areas are fine and can help.

I mean I was also leery of tornadoes, but I find people who live outside of tornado alley are normally much much more scared of tornadoes than people who deal with them and live in the area.
I've noticed this as well. I grew up in the far southern part of the alley and as a child; tornadoes use to scare me, but as a I grew up; I actually get a thrill from them lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City