Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rochester, NY or Richmond, VA?
Rochester, NY 16 45.71%
Richmond, VA 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,291,057 times

Advertisements

Two important regional cities similar in size, who would come out on top? Give your opinion on the superior city, based on...

-Downtown
-Neighborhoods
-History/culture
-Skyline
-Cuisine
-Nightlife
-Public transit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,291,057 times
My own personal opinion after visiting the latter for the first time.

-Downtown: Richmond
-Economy: Richmond
-Neighborhoods: Richmond, slightly
-History/culture: Richmond
-Skyline: Rochester
-Cuisine: Equal
-Nightlife: Rochester
-Public transit: Richmond

Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 AM

77 posts, read 151,784 times
At first thought, they seem like they could be even. What exactly is the culture of Richmond? The only neighborhood I have heard of from Richmond is the fan area.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by •|~ View Post
At first thought, they seem like they could be even. What exactly is the culture of Richmond? The only neighborhood I have heard of from Richmond is the fan area.
Here's a pretty good profile of Richmond and some of its commercial and residential districts: Learning from Richmond | Metro Jacksonville

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,254,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here's a pretty good profile of Richmond and some of its commercial and residential districts: Learning from Richmond | Metro Jacksonville
Good post! Pretty much those are the main neighborhoods of Richmond Proper.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM

77 posts, read 151,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very nice. Good article.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 PM

528 posts, read 1,179,315 times
-Downtown: Equal
-Economy: Richmond (because it's the VA state capital)
-Neighborhoods: Rochester (Park Ave > Carytown)
-History/culture: Rochester - including more of a sports presence, surprisingly
-Skyline: Rochester (image from the wikipedia page)
-Cuisine: Rochester
-Public transit: Equal..no trains aside from Amtrak...maybe slight edge to Rochester because it used to have a subway/light rail...or maybe the edge should go to Richmond because they never made the mistake of shutting those amenities down!

-education: Rochester
-potential for future growth: Richmond

Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,825,837 times
Wow, Rochester is where I grew up and Richmond is where I live now. I think I can weigh in:

-Downtown: I'd go with Richmond. With the capital, Shockoe Slip, the Bottom and Broad Street, I think it feels more alive/vibrant.

-Location: I'm not sure I like the location of either. If I had to choose, I'd go with Richmond for it's proximity to DC, VA Beach/Ocean/OBX, the Blue Ridge Mountains, etc.

-Economy: I can only speak in terms of my field. Richmond is far better for me.

-Neighborhoods: I like Rochester's Park Ave area, parts of Irondequoit, and South Wedge, but I much prefer rowhouse neighborhoods like the Fan, Museum District, etc. Rochester's neighborhoods don't feel quite as urban to me.

-History/culture: I like Rochester's culture and history better. Rochester with the Erie Canal, Kodak, Frederick Douglas is Great. I think Richmond wins in terms of National importance due to the Civil War, Slave trading, etc, however, I hate how this place still goes on and on about the Civil War. Very dark history, and many people still can't let it go (not that they should forget).

Also, I like the Italian/Euro culture much better than southern culture.

-Skyline: Richmond has far more in its skyline IMO. Approaching from the southside on 95 is quite impressive.

-Cuisine: Rochester easily. Italian and Greek food alone destroy Richmond IMO.

-Nightlife: Tie - I don't think either one is all that great.

-Public transit: Rochester - I think its bus service is better. Richmond would have won had it not destroyed its streetcar system and went completely autocentric.

Overall: If I could get Rochester's culture/food/people imported into Richmond's bones and setup, I'd be happier. If I had to choose, I'd go with Richmond. Better urbanism (housing stock, vibrancy, etc.), economy, location and weather.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,825,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
-Downtown: Equal
-Economy: Richmond (because it's the VA state capital)
-Neighborhoods: Rochester (Park Ave > Carytown)
-History/culture: Rochester - including more of a sports presence, surprisingly
-Skyline: Rochester (image from the wikipedia page)
-Cuisine: Rochester
-Public transit: Equal..no trains aside from Amtrak...maybe slight edge to Rochester because it used to have a subway/light rail...or maybe the edge should go to Richmond because they never made the mistake of shutting those amenities down!

-education: Rochester
-potential for future growth: Richmond
I'm surprised to see that you lined up Park Ave over Carytown. I like both, but Carytown to me is very commercial. I haven't been to Park Ave in about 3 years, but I would be surprised if it has the offering of Carytown.

Also, I know this is just your opinion, but I'm curious what neighborhoods in Rochester that you think could go up against the Fan, Jackson Ward, Church Hill, Museum District, Oregon Hill, etc. They probably don't align too well given their housing stock, street organization, etc. Just curious.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM

528 posts, read 1,179,315 times
haha AJNEOA, you have more cred than me! I merely went to college in Roc and live in northern VA now (but have visited Richmond a number of times)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City