Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Boston 80 70.80%
Baltimore 33 29.20%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think it is good Boston is seperated, it allows it to stay culturly Different, while Philly, Baltimore and New York are losing local Flavor and quirks.

Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:10 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Ok there's a couple things that need to be addressed here.

First, why all of a sudden are people talking about Boston as being "isolated" from the BosWash Megalopolis (this is going on here and in the Boston v Philly thread)? Yes, there's no question it's the most separated city, but it's far from being "cut off". Whether you like the cities in CT is up to you, but they're there. In between Boston & New York are Providence, Hartford, Worcester, Bridgeport, Stamford, and New Haven.

Also, why is all of a sudden the biggest advantage of a city the ability to leave it and go to another city? I understand access is important, but Boston has access. I think when talking about access, we need to include beaches, mountains, etc that these areas have access to. Boston has that in spades.

Second, there's no question Boston is the larger city. Yes, technically Baltimore has 3,000 more people...however it has nearly twice the land too. If you want to look at the black & white of it, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, El Paso, Charlotte, Memphis, and Austin are all larger than both Boston and Baltimore.

In reality, Boston @ 80 sq miles has about 1,050,000 people. It's far larger.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I may have to disagree. Out of the five NE cities, I think DC is the only city that doesn't have a pronounced local flavor outside of black culture. However, a white person from DC could be mistaken for Anywhere USA.
Very True!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Bostons Metro is almost twice as big as Baltimores 4.6 vs2.4 million
Not if you consider the fact that Baltimore and DC are one metro.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Not if you consider the fact that Baltimore and DC are one metro.
Please don't bring that weak sauce in here. In that case, Providence, RI has a metro of 7,500,000.

Boston is considerably larger than Baltimore, end of story.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
You are mistaken. Greater Boston = Baltimore/Washington > Providence and vicinity. It's only the end of the story because you stuck you fingers in your ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Please don't bring that weak sauce in here. In that case, Providence, RI has a metro of 7,500,000.

Boston is considerably larger than Baltimore, end of story.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
You are mistaken. Greater Boston = Baltimore/Washington > Providence and vicinity. It's only the end of the story because you stuck you fingers in your ears.

I dunno; personally I do prefer Boston to either Baltimore or DC or them combined. But like both Baltimore and DC very much

Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I choose Boston. It's a cool city with a great New England flair which I like.

Baltimore has some nice aspects to it. It's great to visit certain parts of the city. But unfortunately, too much of Baltimore is just too run-down right now for my taste.

It needs to clean up. I know it will, and then it will be a much better city.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
How do you figure? They're of similar distances. Baltimore and Washington are in different MSAs, just like Boston and Providence. Boston/Providence and Baltimore/Washington aren't combined until you look at their CSAs.

How am I sticking my fingers in my ears?

City Propers
Baltimore: 620,000
Boston @ 80 square miles: 1,040,000

MSA
Baltimore: 2,668,056 in 2,609 square miles
Boston: 4,522,858 in 2,831 square miles

So yes, I'd say Boston is considerably larger than Baltimore. I promise my fingers aren't in my ears.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Well I already voted Boston so I don't know why I'm debating. Baltimore is under rated. Boston isn't. In practical terms, Boston is double Baltimore. Baltimore has DC as an offset, why deny them? It's true. I dont care what the stats say, Baltimore and DC are joined at the hip.

Comparatively, Providence is small time, no pro sports teams for example. Great city for a bit of mall shopping and a night out including maybe dinner and a show, I know Bostonians who think a night out in Providence is better than a night out in Boston.

Actually I'm loving the respect PVD is getting since I know it so well and I remember it back in 1980 when it was a total dump and the most famous thing about the place was Ray Patriarcha Sr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How do you figure? They're of similar distances. Baltimore and Washington are in different MSAs, just like Boston and Providence. Boston/Providence and Baltimore/Washington aren't combined until you look at their CSAs.

How am I sticking my fingers in my ears?

City Propers
Baltimore: 620,000
Boston @ 80 square miles: 1,040,000

MSA
Baltimore: 2,668,056 in 2,609 square miles
Boston: 4,522,858 in 2,831 square miles

So yes, I'd say Boston is considerably larger than Baltimore. I promise my fingers aren't in my ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City