Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,831,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I sentence your mom to a week in Chinatown. Let's see how sterile she thinks it is then!
We did actually go to Chinatown, but having been to a million Chinatowns and China itself it wasn't anything special, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,656,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We did actually go to Chinatown, but having been to a million Chinatowns and China itself it wasn't anything special, lol.
Did I say it was? It's filthy and that's apparently what your mother values above all else (per you). lolol

Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM

61 posts, read 78,051 times
LA and New York!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:28 PM

7,302 posts, read 3,372,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I agree, I've been to Philadelphia several times and have never felt threatened by crime. Center City, South, Philly, and Manyunk all felt perfectly safe to me. There is the occasional random block or two here in there that may raise a few eyebrows around CC, but that's not much different than most cities.
Trust me when I state that you have a false sense of security about Philly. When serious crime gets you here, you won't see it coming, generally. Therefore, not feeling threatened isn't necessarily a good indicator of its relative safety. With the exception of Manayunk, there are particularly dangerous areas in the neighborhoods that you listed. Perhaps, in center city, its a random block or two. Except that crime often travels in Philly into "safe" areas due to the relatively small size of the "safe" areas people not being on guard enough. In South Philly, the unsafe areas spans a heck of a lot more than an occassional block or two. Although, South Philly is very large and as a tourist you won't likely go further than what is generally deemed as the edge of South Philly. Last, I don't know if I'd call any area in South Philly safe after that kid was killed for his ipod in the Italian Market a few years back. Just don't walk around at night.

Tourists likely won't have much to worry about unless they go ghetto touring. Just be mindful about who you interact with and where you are walking and at what time of day. A lot of the section 8 housing is now built to blend in to its surrounding s in center city, and so you might not know that you aren't walking through a very low income neighborhood all of a sudden. But these neighborhoods are usually at least a few blocks removed from tourist areas.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,475,846 times
Burlington, Vt, Atlanta, Ga

Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM

29 posts, read 56,325 times
Nola all day long. So creepy, but I so keep coming back for more.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,927,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonneFemme View Post
Nola all day long. So creepy, but I so keep coming back for more.
You mean like this?

New Orleans Jazz Funeral for tuba player Kerwin James - YouTube

Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,866,533 times
San Francisco, the first time I visited in the 1960's. And not because of the drugs either!

Los Angeles/Anaheim. My first trip to Disneyland as a kid with my Father. First time I had ever seen the ocean. Wow!

Last edited by Kar54; 11-09-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,202,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Trust me when I state that you have a false sense of security about Philly. When serious crime gets you here, you won't see it coming, generally. Therefore, not feeling threatened isn't necessarily a good indicator of its relative safety. With the exception of Manayunk, there are particularly dangerous areas in the neighborhoods that you listed. Perhaps, in center city, its a random block or two. Except that crime often travels in Philly into "safe" areas due to the relatively small size of the "safe" areas people not being on guard enough. In South Philly, the unsafe areas spans a heck of a lot more than an occassional block or two. Although, South Philly is very large and as a tourist you won't likely go further than what is generally deemed as the edge of South Philly. Last, I don't know if I'd call any area in South Philly safe after that kid was killed for his ipod in the Italian Market a few years back. Just don't walk around at night.

Tourists likely won't have much to worry about unless they go ghetto touring. Just be mindful about who you interact with and where you are walking and at what time of day. A lot of the section 8 housing is now built to blend in to its surrounding s in center city, and so you might not know that you aren't walking through a very low income neighborhood all of a sudden. But these neighborhoods are usually at least a few blocks removed from tourist areas.
I have a completely different experience. I've lived in cities in 7 different states. I haven't conducted myself any differently in Philly than I have anywhere else. Like every city I've live in (and nearly every city I've visited, actually), there are board swaths of economic prosperity coupled with brad swaths of poverty. Whether as a resident or a visitor, I haven't been drawn to those parts of town more associated with crime.

I must say, I got a chuckle out of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
A lot of the section 8 housing is now built to blend in to its surrounding s in center city, and so you might not know that you aren't walking through a very low income neighborhood all of a sudden.
Not only must I have a heightened set of "street smarts", I'm amused at the thought of somehow "labeling" Section 8 housing or constructing it in such a way that it "signals" itself to wary passers-by.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,854,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
Burlington, Vt, Atlanta, Ga
Yes, Burlington, VT is a nice place, although I haven't lived there for about 25 years..

Still have some nostalgia for Madison, WI, although I do try to vist once a year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City