Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times

Advertisements

Georgia roads over Texas roads.

Quality over Quantity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Good job, you just can't admit it. It is kinda sad, but I'll take it. Definitely have never had an issue with any roads in Georgia, so you can gripe all ya want because now your just digging lol.
too smooth of a road is crappy. Don't like roads you can't get good traction

Old 09-02-2011, 02:56 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I am so sorry Dallaz and Htownlove for misunderstanding please forgive me friends.
It's ok.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Good job, you just can't admit it. It is kinda sad, but I'll take it. Definitely have never had an issue with any roads in Georgia, so you can gripe all ya want because now your just digging lol.
Georgia wins with the exception of Houston.

Georgia beats Texas (minus Houston) in Quality. Texas beats Georgia in functionality. Houston beats Texas and Georgia in both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I like the way they paint the Interstate Signs on the pavement before a major interchange (although that might be just a Houston thing).
They do this in Louisiana and southern Mississippi also.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Georgia beats Texas (minus Houston) in Quality. Texas beats Georgia in functionality. Houston beats Texas and Georgia in both.
Although I didn't find anything special about SA's roads in the 4 years I loved there, I hear they are good for a metro that size. They have got a series of loops and 35 through SA is not that bad.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

They do this in Louisiana and southern Mississippi also.
I think they do it everywhere.

WestbankNOLA, why do people in New Orleans call the median the neutral ground?

Here's some videos of the roads in Dallas

Dallas Texas Night Tour - YouTube

Pleasant Grove and South Dallas area of Dallas

US-175 Dallas, TX - YouTube

Interstate 35E (go to 3:05 that's where US 67 and Interstate 35E split. I live right up the street from that freeway.)

I-35E Dallas Texas - YouTube

Old 09-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I think they do it everywhere.
I haven't seen it anywhere else in the south.

Quote:
WestbankNOLA, why do people in New Orleans call the median the neutral ground?
Long story short.
It goes back to when Americans first really started to settle in New Orleans and were "shocked" that New Orleanians regardless of race lived and more or less got along with each other all in one place. They considered it to be almost the ultimate sin to have whites, blacks, natives, Hispanics and all types of biracial people so socially integrated. The Americans settled above Canal St (the only street wide enough to have a median at the time) and the majority refused to cross the street. The New Orleanians hated the Americans almost just as much, so any peaceful or business related contact between the two took place on "neutral" ground, or in that case the grass inbetween the street.

As a kid I would ask relatives out of town why they said "median".

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 09-02-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen it anywhere else in the south.

Long story short.
It goes back to when Americans first really started to settle in New Orleans and were "shocked" that New Orleanians (a mixture of Europeans, Africans, and Hispanics) lived and more or less got along with each other all in one place. The Americans settled above Canal St (the only street wide enough to have a median at the time) and the majority refused to cross the street. The New Orleanians hated the Americans almost just as much, so any peaceful or business related contact between the two took place on "neutral" ground, or in that case the grass inbetween the street.

As a kid I would ask relatives out of town why they said "median".
That's interesting. Do y'all call the concrete median the neutral ground too?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That's interesting. Do y'all call the concrete median the neutral ground too?
Anything that can be a median is the same as a neutral ground with the excpetion of raised barriers like on the freeway.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Anything that can be a median is the same as a neutral ground with the excpetion of raised barriers like on the freeway.
Oh ok. We call the raised concrete barrier the median too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City