Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's because each city has different needs and funds, just like any state.
I'm trying to think of states that have multiple large cities with similar interstate systems...haven't really come up with anything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'm trying to think of states that have multiple large cities with similar interstate systems...haven't really come up with anything yet.
The layout of the system may be different in every city in every state, but Texas is the only place that I can think of where the design of the actual freeways from exits, to bridge design, to signage, all the way to the pavement is completely city specific.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The layout of the system may be different in every city in every state, but Texas is the only place that I can think of where the design of the actual freeways from exits, to bridge design, to signage, all the way to the pavement is completely city specific.
Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'm sure its the only state that has so many different varying factors that determine how they are built. The freezing in north Texas, the humidity down here, and the dry heat in central TX and out west.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
I think I dont pay enough attention, they both have large and expansive highways with many lanes. I do know they are both far better than PA; but that is likely all states though the Atl and Houston and DFW have large highways, noticiably large; oddly though they make me personally feel disconnected from the cities when on either, TX probably a little moreso

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM

The freeways are a part of life in Houston. Sitting in traffic is a cultural experience.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
I worked a few years for the Georgia DOT on a couple of I-75 interstate projects and I can definitely say Georgia has among the best interstate systems in the country.

Georgia was one of the first States in the Union (if not the first) to begin testing highways for smoothness (30 years ago) and since then has been recognized by many in the industry as having probably the smoothest highways in the nation. Georgia boasts smoothest roadsThe Federal DOT even looks at Georgia as a model for finding ways to make highways smoother. Enhancing Pavement Smoothness - Vol. 64· No. 2 - Public Roads

Also Georgia's I-75 has completed several huge projects that now have the highway atleast 6 lanes all the way North South through the State. This is probably one of the most heavily traveled corridors in the Nation with millions and millions traveling North and South through Georgia on the way to and from Florida from as far away as Michigan and Ontario. In addition you have thousands of motorist from within Georgia using it.

I-95 through Georgia is also a vital Interstate to the Nation linking Florida with the Northeast. It has extremely heavy use and still manages to be one of the smoothest highways.

Metro Atlanta has not built highways with as much zest and abandon as Texas Metros because Georgia took more heed to Federal mandates decades ago. Due to environmental concerns the Feds dictated that more money be spent on public transit in the region in comparison to highway expenditures lest Georgia receive really high fines. Texas faced with the same dilemma decided fines be damned we are still going to neglect public transit and build highways like no tomorrow. This has resulted in Texas having very impressive urban highway systems and very underwhelming public transit systems and just now playing catch up in that area.

Last edited by Galounger; 08-24-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Metro Atlanta has not built highways with as much zest and abandon as Texas Metros because Georgia took more heed to Federal mandates decades ago. Due to environmental concerns the Feds dictated that more money be spent on public transit in the region in comparison to highway expenditures less Georgia receive really high fines. Texas faced with the same dilemma decided fines be damned we are still going to neglect public transit and build highways like no tomorrow. This has resulted in Texas having very impressive urban highway systems and very underwhelming public transit systems and just now playing catch up in that area.
Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I heard Atlanta received the funds because of another city (Houston?) not wanting to accept them for a subway, hence the construction of MARTA. Atlanta's PT is impressive but doesn't hold a candle to other cities right?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I heard Atlanta received the funds because of another city (Houston?) not wanting to accept them for a subway, hence the construction of MARTA. Atlanta's PT is impressive but doesn't hold a candle to other cities right?
And what does that have to do with PT in Texas? Atlanta's PT doesn't compare to DC, Chicago, NYC, SF, or Boston but better than Dallas or Houston (though Houston arguably has a better bus system than MARTA). Dallas and Houston have better PT than San Antonio, Austin, Tampa, Miami, or Detroit, so what's your point, if you have one?

As for this thread, Texas wins in number of miles, ease of use, and infrastructure. Traffic flows much better in many of the cities than Atlanta. I-75 and 95 are congested as hell when the snowbirds head south and the families head to Disney, but Interstate 35 sucks between DFW and San Antonio.

In my opinion Georgia beats Texas in terms of scenery. Give me the pine forests and Appalachian mountains of Georgia any day over the hideous, unsightly frontage roads of Texas any day. There are other metro areas that have frontage roads, but don't have as much ugliness along their roads. The drive from IAH to DT Houston on 45 is utterly depressing and a horrible introduction to the city of Houston. Aren't there nonprofits planting trees along that highway now? I hope so.

I-10 out in West Texas and in the Hill Country is beautiful though. Yes, Oatmeal said something nice about Texas. That quake in DC yesterday made me think the world was ending.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 08-24-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I worked a few years for the Georgia DOT on a couple of I-75 interstate projects and I can definitely say Georgia has among the best interstate systems in the country.

Georgia was one of the first States in the Union (if not the first) to begin testing highways for smoothness (30 years ago) and since then has been recognized by many in the industry as having probably the smoothest highways in the nation. Georgia boasts smoothest roadsThe Federal DOT even looks at Georgia as a model for finding ways to make highways smoother. Enhancing Pavement Smoothness - Vol. 64· No. 2 - Public Roads

Also Georgia's I-75 has completed several huge projects that now have the highway atleast 6 lanes all the way North South through the State. This is probably one of the most heavily traveled corridors in the Nation with millions and millions traveling North and South through Georgia on the way to and from Florida from as far away as Michigan and Ontario. In addition you have thousands of motorist from within Georgia using it.

I-95 through Georgia is also a vital Interstate to the Nation linking Florida with the Northeast. It has extremely heavy use and still manages to be one of the smoothest highways.

Metro Atlanta has not built highways with as much zest and abandon as Texas Metros because Georgia took more heed to Federal mandates decades ago. Due to environmental concerns the Feds dictated that more money be spent on public transit in the region in comparison to highway expenditures less Georgia receive really high fines. Texas faced with the same dilemma decided fines be damned we are still going to neglect public transit and build highways like no tomorrow. This has resulted in Texas having very impressive urban highway systems and very underwhelming public transit systems and just now playing catch up in that area.
This is a great point. I always notice how nice the GA section of both 75 & 95 is compared to Florida's even when I'm traveling north. The difference is really noticed when you cross into SC on 95 and you feel like you've digressed 100 levels of interstate quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City