Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,326,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I heard Atlanta received the funds because of another city (Houston?) not wanting to accept them for a subway, hence the construction of MARTA. Atlanta's PT is impressive but doesn't hold a candle to other cities right?
Actually, the Feds gave MARTA the money that had been allocated to Seattle when they voted no on a subway system in the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM

8,477 posts, read 14,949,777 times
Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I heard Atlanta received the funds because of another city (Houston?) not wanting to accept them for a subway, hence the construction of MARTA. Atlanta's PT is impressive but doesn't hold a candle to other cities right?
MARTA's subway is the 7th most used in the United States, 9th most used in North America. All combined, MARTA as a system is the 9th most used in the United States, 11th in North America.

The candle is held firmly in place.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,898,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I worked a few years for the Georgia DOT on a couple of I-75 interstate projects and I can definitely say Georgia has among the best interstate systems in the country.

Georgia was one of the first States in the Union (if not the first) to begin testing highways for smoothness (30 years ago) and since then has been recognized by many in the industry as having probably the smoothest highways in the nation. Georgia boasts smoothest roadsThe Federal DOT even looks at Georgia as a model for finding ways to make highways smoother. Enhancing Pavement Smoothness - Vol. 64· No. 2 - Public Roads

Also Georgia's I-75 has completed several huge projects that now have the highway atleast 6 lanes all the way North South through the State. This is probably one of the most heavily traveled corridors in the Nation with millions and millions traveling North and South through Georgia on the way to and from Florida from as far away as Michigan and Ontario. In addition you have thousands of motorist from within Georgia using it.

I-95 through Georgia is also a vital Interstate to the Nation linking Florida with the Northeast. It has extremely heavy use and still manages to be one of the smoothest highways.

Metro Atlanta has not built highways with as much zest and abandon as Texas Metros because Georgia took more heed to Federal mandates decades ago. Due to environmental concerns the Feds dictated that more money be spent on public transit in the region in comparison to highway expenditures lest Georgia receive really high fines. Texas faced with the same dilemma decided fines be damned we are still going to neglect public transit and build highways like no tomorrow. This has resulted in Texas having very impressive urban highway systems and very underwhelming public transit systems and just now playing catch up in that area.
Texas is building to the Highway system because of traffic counts and economical growth.So don't play that card,saying u work with the Georgia department of transportation because any road engineer know's that the funding come only by the equation of the area economy,trade area,traffic counts and thats how a city can compete with others in the state for money for there local highways and byway's.I said this once and say it again if the freeway system Houston was built like at atlanta with no frontage on every major corridor,Houston traffic would be back up in way longer lines then there in Atlanta.Why be so jealous of a city that is making A's on it's report card on any subject or top and a lot of the smaller or larger cities/students lol, are making C's and D's on there's doesn't make sense to me.That's how it was from the beginning to the in end in school and it will never end as long as Houston exist in this country.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
MARTA's subway is the 7th most used in the United States, 9th most used in North America. All combined, MARTA as a system is the 9th most used in the United States, 11th in North America.

The candle is held firmly in place.
But its just the subway. I know how many people it moves, what about Atlanta PT as a whole. No street cars, light rail, nor commuter rail in Atlanta.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,459,765 times
Quote:
But its just the subway. I know how many people it moves, what about Atlanta PT as a whole. No street cars, light rail, nor commuter rail in Atlanta.
They actually have all of that planned if I'm not mistaken. My biggest gripe with their public transportation is how much of the actual metro it actually covers compared to much smaller cities. Houston should have done the heavy rail thing IMO though.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
I see that they have some of that planned. Does MARTA run parralell to I-285? Absolutely. Houston needs to expand the METRO rail as well. Post Oak line is needed.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,950,147 times
Local report about the conditions of Georgia's roads.

PolitiFact Georgia | Georgia roads are among America's best, state officials say

Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,054,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Local report about the conditions of Georgia's roads.

PolitiFact Georgia | Georgia roads are among America's best, state officials say

Atlanta, GA: Spaghetti Junction "360" Interchange Tour - YouTube

Interstate 520 [HD] - YouTube

Middle GA Roadgeeking - Part 1 - YouTube

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-24-2011 at 11:38 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 AM

20,510 posts, read 33,424,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
They actually have all of that planned if I'm not mistaken. My biggest gripe with their public transportation is how much of the actual metro it actually covers compared to much smaller cities. Houston should have done the heavy rail thing IMO though.
I think they and Dallas would if they could. Problem Is that th Feds will not issue any funds for new heavy rail systems.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,301,795 times
north dallas highways are good especially George Bush the new 75 Dallas North Toll Road and the extension of 161 to grand prairie, besides that they got issues especially in South Dallas.

Houston freeways are in decent shape except 610 east and 225 Uhh, but 59 610 north and west, Westpark, Sam Houston, Fort Bend TR and the future grand parkway extension are all nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City