Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM

37,831 posts, read 41,708,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know when I was on 75 from Chattanooga to Atlanta in early July, the police with the radar guns was all over the place.
Yeah, you have less leniency from Bartow County (Cartersville) on up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,911,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Thats how fast people in Atlanta drive even though the speed limit is 55.
I dont think people in Texas cities drive as fast, but there are a lot more cops on the roads in Texas with radar guns in hand. I dont recall ever seeing any cops in Atlanta giving out speeding tickets on the freeways other than that area in Cobb County at 75 & 285.
There are definitely more cops in Texas, but for the most part, you can speed pretty well. Especially in Houston, until HPD had that crackdown because the city has no money. They still out in full force on Houston freeways?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:52 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Florida's interstates are MUCH better signed and maintained than Georgia's. Georgia compared to South Carolina on the other hand, well, Georgia wins that one hands down.
As for Texas, their roads, IMO, are much better than Georgia's.
Georgia and Florida have some of the best maintained interstates in the nation. Both have smooth expressways throughout the majority of the state. Most of the rural areas are well-maintained, I-16 the lone exception. It hasn't been resurfaced in over a decade.

The Atlanta area's expressways aren't being maintained as well as they were decades prior. The lack of funds plays a role. However, portions of the metro have been resurfaced, such as I-75/85 downtown connector, I-75 inside I-285, and I-575. I-85 on the northside was also resurfaced not too long ago. I-20 hasn't been resurfaced in a long time, and I-75 outside of I-285 up through Cobb County hasn't been resurfaced in over ten years. It's really beginning to show wear and tear, particularly considering that it is one of the most traveled areas of interstate throughout the state.

True. The average Atlanta driver will drive 80 with the posted limit at 55. As for cops giving out speeding tickets, you'll find this a lot in Clayton and Henry Counties on I-75.[/quote]

Don't forget about I-285 through Doraville or I-20 through Conyers. I-575 and Holly Springs, too.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know when I was on 75 from Chattanooga to Atlanta in early July, the police with the radar guns was all over the place.
Independence Day Weekend. Cops crack down on speeding more so on holidays.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,578,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Georgia and Florida have some of the best maintained interstates in the nation. Both have smooth expressways throughout the majority of the state. Most of the rural areas are well-maintained, I-16 the lone exception. It hasn't been resurfaced in over a decade.

The Atlanta area's expressways aren't being maintained as well as they were decades prior. The lack of funds plays a role. However, portions of the metro have been resurfaced, such as I-75/85 downtown connector, I-75 inside I-285, and I-575. I-85 on the northside was also resurfaced not too long ago. I-20 hasn't been resurfaced in a long time, and I-75 outside of I-285 up through Cobb County hasn't been resurfaced in over ten years. It's really beginning to show wear and tear, particularly considering that it is one of the most traveled areas of interstate throughout the state.

True. The average Atlanta driver will drive 80 with the posted limit at 55. As for cops giving out speeding tickets, you'll find this a lot in Clayton and Henry Counties on I-75.
Don't forget about I-285 through Doraville or I-20 through Conyers. I-575 and Holly Springs, too.[/quote]

Why don't they just raise the speed limit?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM

635 posts, read 1,506,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why don't they just raise the speed limit?
No, they can't do that, that would make too much sense and in Georgia, outside Atlanta and sometimes in Atlanta we go against things that make sense. Thats why Marta is as amazingly limited as it is and serves nowhere near the area it needs to but 1 cent is too much tax for a metro wide convenience.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,948,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I'll give Georgia credit where it's due on smoothness. There are other factors I include aside from that, however. Signage is one. Georgia's signage just SUCKS. Improvements have been made along 985, portions of 85 in Gwinnett County and Fulton on the connector with newer, better visible font & size, but this can't really make up for the rest of the state.
Another one is paint and reflectors. As someone mentioned earlier, states in the north REALLY suck at this, much worse than GA, however, they have more harsh elements to deal with than that of Georgia. I never understood why GDOT placed reflectors in this order; Example:
__. __ instead of __ . __ (for those that aren't quite following, GA places the reflector closest to the white line instead of between them like all other states do)
This actually causes a gap in the lane and is a good reason why a lot of drivers in Georgia can't maintain their lane.
I never understood why Georgia does this. Maybe someone from GDOT on here could answer that one for me?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,459,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
This actually causes a gap in the lane and is a good reason why a lot of drivers in Georgia can't maintain their lane.
I never understood why Georgia does this. Maybe someone from GDOT on here could answer that one for me?
Can you explain what you mean by "causing a gap"? I know some states put the reflectors on the stripes and down here it's done _____..... _____..... ______..... on freeways and _____.. _____.. _____ on other highways and doesn't cause a problem.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,911,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "causing a gap"? I know some states put the reflectors on the stripes and down here it's done _____..... _____..... ______..... on freeways and _____.. _____.. _____ on other highways and doesn't cause a problem.
In Texas, they put a black strip behind the white line on many freeways. Need to do it on more because the white lines tend to get blurred, and people can't stay in their lane when the sun reflects off of the concrete the right way. At least that's how it is on many freeways in DFW. Lanes get blurred.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:29 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,459,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
In Texas, they put a black strip behind the white line on many freeways. Need to do it on more because the white lines tend to get blurred, and people can't stay in their lane when the sun reflects off of the concrete the right way. At least that's how it is on many freeways in DFW. Lanes get blurred.
That I can understand, the same thing happens here. I've seen so many variations of striping in Texas that I've lost count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City