Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times

Advertisements

What you're looking for is rural, not southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Cooachella Valley, which includes Palm Springs. Now, Palm Springs has no agriculture, but the farther up 111 you go (Indio, for example) you enter farmland. And lots of terrific crops are grown there. It's 2-3 hours drive from the coast, depending on the area you're driving from. But trees? Plenty of palms but that's about it.

Plenty of flash thunderstorms there in summer, and it gets HOT! I don't know about rivers, but you have the nearby coast to cool off. There are lots of interesting things in the Coachella Valley, and personally I think it's very beautiful. But it isn't for everybody.

As an alternative, I'm going to suggest Merced in the San Joaquin Valley. It's smack dab in the central part of the state, not southern. But it has pretty much what you want, too, except for summer thunderstorms (it does get hot, though). Now I don't know how much "urban density" you want at your fingertips, but the closest larger cities are Modesto and Fresno. And either city should provide pretty much anything you'd find in L.A. If you like to hike, there's Yosemite. San Joaquin Valley produce. . . yum!

You do have a pretty tall order, you know.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
You do have a pretty tall order, you know.
I would call it more of a needle in a haystack...

Most of what she's looking for does exist in small towns like Ramona, Fallbrook, Julian, and Idyllwild - and that's just in the southernmost part of the state. If you go north, I'm sure there are even better options. It's not impossible, to find, but she will have to do a lot of research!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 PM

22 posts, read 33,642 times
Default If you love the Gulf Coast culture and were moving to California or the Southwest, which town would you pick?

Hello,

I am new to city-data and I need some advise.
For family reasons, I need to move to within a day's drive of relatives near the CA Central Coast and in Northern AZ.
Also, according to the doctor, a dry climate is good for my health.

(I live in the Pacific Northwest now, big mistake.)

So, I figure Southern California, Southern Nevada, or Western Arizona would be about right in where I need to be geographically, but I don't know what part would fit best.
Here's where I need help:

I was born in the desert and grew up mostly in East Texas. Even though it was kind of suburban, we went camping or out to the shore every chance we got. We knew all our neighbors - they were actually out every evening taking a stroll in shirtsleeves - and we rode our bikes almost all year.

The best times of my life were in Texas Texarkana, Louisiana, and Florida... gulf coast in general. I love gardening, and my favorite sport is swimming at rivers and warm beaches. I miss the real summer rainstorms!

Farms around are great, farms within city limits are even better, and really intense urban density or lack of trees makes me feel down.
I just do better with a friendly, slower pace of life.

Most of all, I want my kid to grow up outdoors, climbing trees, fed on BBQ.

Anyone lived in both regions? What worked and what didn't?
I know I cannot expect one place to be just like another, I just want to take my best shot at it.

It has taken me a lot of years to realize that happiness is not too much to ask for. It is better for everyone around you too!

Thank you all for any help!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,491,591 times
I know someone living in Prescott Arizona for health reasons, they love it.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I would move to the only city that I've been to in the SouthWest.

Tucson, Arizona
and you'd be 200miles from Puerto Peñasco, Mexico

Puerto Penasco
Oh man, Tucson is an absolute hole. Get your car stolen when you go into a movie theatre and it's across the border by the time you get out.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies!

bouncethelight, thank you for much area info. Wondering about Poway and Ramona (you can take the "Sprinter" to the beach, right?) Also I think that Fallbrook(?) has the slogan something like, California's last Hometown? Idyllwild is an artist's colony, and apples (yum) grow in Julian, yes?? Are there major water issues up in the hills, too, or just for the big cities?
The San Diego area sounds much better than the L.A. area, that's for sure!

I know this is something I may not find, but I have to try!

Also, what I am looking for may, in part, be from a time that has dissapeared, and I have been thinking its where I have been living!

But, at any rate, I still have to move closer to the folks.

Bulldogdad, I will look into Bakersfield. Thanks. Can you recommend a nice town up the Kern River?
winkosmosis has a point, maybe just something outside of town.
I have heard of a place called Buttonwillow, near Bakersfield but going the other way, out towards the valley?

I have heard very mixed things about the Central Valley, so I am glad to have specific pointers, like as in Fresno vs. Bakersfield or Merced vs. Stockton.

Bluesmama, thank you for your recommendations. Didn't they just put a new UC school in Merced? (and farmer's markets, I agree - yum!) I'll check it out.
And I see what you mean about the agriculture in the desert closer to the Salton Sea. Lots of palm groves, etc. I thought Indio was all golf and cookie-cutters! Interesting.

I appreciate your all responses so much!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
All manner of little towns around Bakersfield that would fit your description.

Tehachapi is also nice and up the hill out of the Valley a few miles.

Lake Isabella and the surrounding communities are fairly sleepy as well.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 PM

Default What town in California or the Southwest is most like The South?

Hello,

I am new to city-data and I need some advise.
For family reasons, I need to move to within a day's drive of relatives near the CA Central Coast and in Northern AZ.
Also, according to the doctor, a dry climate is good for my health.

(I live in the Pacific Northwest now, big mistake.)

So, I figure Southern California, Southern Nevada, or Western Arizona would be about right in where I need to be geographically, but I don't know what part would fit best.
Here's where I need help:

I was born in the desert and grew up mostly in East Texas. Even though it was kind of suburban, we went camping or out to the shore every chance we got. We knew all our neighbors - they were actually out every evening taking a stroll in shirtsleeves - and we rode our bikes almost all year.

The best times of my life were in Texas Texarkana, Louisiana, and Florida... gulf coast in general. I love gardening, and my favorite sport is swimming at rivers and warm beaches. I miss the real summer rainstorms!

Farms around are great, farms within city limits are even better, and really intense urban density or lack of trees makes me feel down.
I just do better with a friendly, slower pace of life.

Most of all, I want my kid to grow up outdoors, climbing trees, fed on BBQ.

Anyone lived in both regions? What worked and what didn't?

Which of the towns by the Colorado River nice? What is the life / community there like? (I did always wonder why the main cities in Arizona seem to be away from the water?) Would a town like Strawberry fit the bill?

I know I cannot expect one place to be just like another, I just want to take my best shot at it.

It has taken me a lot of years to realize that happiness is not too much to ask for. It is better for everyone around you too!

Thank you all for any help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City